Band Comments On Petra - what have you heard?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Band Comments On Petra - what have you heard?

Post by sue d. » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 am

I was reading on another thread about how Michael Tait commented about Classic P. at Kingdom Bound.... which got me to thinking this might be an interesting thread:

How many other bands/individual artists have you heard that have made comments (both positive & negative) about Petra, John, or Bob?
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Band Comments On Petra - what have you heard?

Post by Jan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:54 am

I loved the interviews Jason Crabb did of John. I thought it was interesting that he said he grew up listening to Petra....he is so country (or country-gospel, whatever) I was surprised he had even heard of Petra. When John talked about the "God is too big {stupid}" misunderstanding, Jason said he remembered that song and never thought it said God is stupid.
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by LivingRock » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:28 am

Blair Lane, a worship artist here in Newfoundland, lists Petra as one of his musical influences.
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

Epyon5757
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Epyon5757 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:02 pm

John Cooper, lead vocalist/bass player/primary songwriter and founder of Skillet, claims Petra as one of his primary musical influences, as well (along with Bon Jovi).
0 x
Hey, did you ever think twice? If you don't bother, gonna pay the price...

Pethead94
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: I can't decide!
Pethead since: 1994

Post by Pethead94 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Epyon5757 wrote:John Cooper, lead vocalist/bass player/primary songwriter and founder of Skillet, claims Petra as one of his primary musical influences, as well (along with Bon Jovi).
Ha, I was about too say the same thing! My dad went backstage at Winter Jam a couple years ago (youth pastor meeting thingy) and he was telling me about it... He loved Petra growing up, and he got his mom loving them as well. Said they were watching a show on tv, waiting for Petra to come perform (I'm assuming it was Dove awards or something) when Stryper came on and they turned off the television and started praying over it... Lol.
0 x
"Just reach out, and He'll reach in..." - John Schlitt
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... a12ea7398a
^The link to my Classic Petra Myrtle Beach photos... Check them out!

ricanrolear
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: petra en alabanza
Pethead since: 1997

Post by ricanrolear » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Mark Stuart lead singer of AudioAdrenaline said Petra was his first Christian concert.
0 x
there's a Light over the Horizon

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead

Post by LivingRock » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:02 am

Oh, and Peter Furler from the Newsboys also claims Petra as one of the bands earliest influences. As well as them opening for Petra on a number of occasions, he also stated Petra was probably one of their biggest influences.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:26 am

Didn't Third Day once say they wanted to be "the next Petra"? I won't decide on if they've succeeded or not...

And I think one of the band members of Mercy Me even wore a Petra t-shirt on one of their official band photos, but I could be wrong there. I think it was on the back of one of their albums a couple of years ago.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:50 am

[quote="p-freak"]Didn't Third Day once say they wanted to be "the next Petra"? I won't decide on if they've succeeded or not...

And I think one of the band members of Mercy Me even wore a Petra t-shirt on one of their official band photos, but I could be wrong there. I think it was on the back of one of their albums a couple of years ago.[/quote
I will decide for you; not even close!!! When Petra won the Grammy for best rock album "Double Take" some members of Third Day made some nasty comments about Petra deserving the Grammy and also about Petra needing to give it up.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead

Post by LivingRock » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:52 am

p-freak wrote:And I think one of the band members of Mercy Me even wore a Petra t-shirt on one of their official band photos
I remember seeing that floating around somewhere, I think it was on A Guide to Petra? Could be wrong though, not sure if it's still up there.
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Wikipedia 8)
Bart Millard, lead singer of MercyMe, said More Power to Ya was the first album he had bought with his own money. "I bought it twice because I literally wore the first one out," he wrote in CCM. "Because of that record, I became consumed with Christian music."[137]

Singer/songwriter Chris Tomlin has listed Not of This World as his "first Christian album."[138]

The lead singer of rock band Third Day, Mac Powell, said the band formed with the intention of being "the next Petra. You know, we wanted to be the next big band that affected a lot of people through music."[139]

Former Newsboys lead singer Peter Furler — who founded Inpop Records, used the label to give Petra a home at the end of its career and produced the band's final studio album — and his band opened for Petra early in its career, and guitarist Jody Davis listed his first Petra concert as a major influence on his decision to move into live Christian music.[140]
And...
Many artists have recorded tributes to Petra, including Christian-industry stars MxPx, Jars of Clay, Kevin Max of dc Talk, Sixpence None the Richer, Plankeye, Grammatrain and Galactic Cowboys, all of whom appeared on the tribute album Never Say Dinosaur, released in 1996 by Star Song. Country singer Tim McGraw has covered "More Power To Ya" in his concerts, including during his portion of a national telethon to raise money for victims of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.[141]

Other artists have included single song covers of Petra in some of their albums. These include:

"Thankful Heart" by Nathan Digesare (Jubilaté!, 1989)
"Judas' Kiss" by One Bad Pig (Swine Flew, 1990)
"More Power to Ya" by The RapSures (Loud, Proud and Born Again, 1990)
"All Over Me" by Die Happy (Intense Records Presents Die Happy Recorded Live – Intense Live Series Vol. 4, 1993)
"Adonai" by Hokus Pick (The B-Sides, 1996)
I'd love to get some documentation on John Cooper's comments. That would be a cool addition to the Wiki...
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:56 am

executioner wrote:
p-freak wrote:Didn't Third Day once say they wanted to be "the next Petra"? I won't decide on if they've succeeded or not...

And I think one of the band members of Mercy Me even wore a Petra t-shirt on one of their official band photos, but I could be wrong there. I think it was on the back of one of their albums a couple of years ago.
I will decide for you; not even close!!! When Petra won the Grammy for best rock album "Double Take" some members of Third Day made some nasty comments about Petra deserving the Grammy and also about Petra needing to give it up.
Good decision, exe! I didn't know about those comments on Double Take. Are they documented somewhere? Cat, can you find the reference? You're our wiki-pet-head-warrior.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:25 am

p-freak wrote:
executioner wrote:
p-freak wrote:Didn't Third Day once say they wanted to be "the next Petra"? I won't decide on if they've succeeded or not...

Good decision, exe! I didn't know about those comments on Double Take. Are they documented somewhere? Cat, can you find the reference? You're our wiki-pet-head-warrior.
At one time it was in the CCM archives and it was on here also but I think it was lost when we changed servers.
0 x

CatNamedManny
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:33 am

Here's what I found:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=834

The comment in question:
JJT: How did it feel to see Petra get the Grammy for Rock Gospel Album? Everyone I know - if they had a chance to sit down with you they’d want to know this. Do you feel you should have gotten that?

Mac: I’m going to be pretty frank with you… I can’t be… It goes to show you with the Grammys, how much they know about Christian music. It’s all name recognition and has nothing to do with the record.

Tai: It was the same thing as in the Album Of The Year category with Steely Dan. It was like the same thing in our category."
I don't see anything objectionable about that. No one thought Petra deserved that Grammy. Heck, CCM openly criticized the choice, saying it proved the voters were "out to lunch."
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:56 am

CatNamedManny wrote:Here's what I found:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=834

The comment in question:
JJT: How did it feel to see Petra get the Grammy for Rock Gospel Album? Everyone I know - if they had a chance to sit down with you they’d want to know this. Do you feel you should have gotten that?

Mac: I’m going to be pretty frank with you… I can’t be… It goes to show you with the Grammys, how much they know about Christian music. It’s all name recognition and has nothing to do with the record.

Tai: It was the same thing as in the Album Of The Year category with Steely Dan. It was like the same thing in our category."
I don't see anything objectionable about that. No one thought Petra deserved that Grammy. Heck, CCM openly criticized the choice, saying it proved the voters were "out to lunch."
I differ from you on the comment. What I got from it was a low blow towards Petra. I and most Petra fans didn't like Double Take for on how they changed the classics, but it was probably production wise was one of the best Petra albums in quality production. I believe it to be well received in the industry.
Just because us fans thought it was bad doesn't make it bad in production quality which is a huge factor in getting a Grammy nod.
0 x