The Making Of Back To The Street

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Re: The Making Of Back To The Street

Post by LivingRock » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Wow, John's voice (speaking) sounds practically the same as it does now! The only real difference is in his singing voice. Man, I want this...
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 am

Re: Lack of Louie....They didn't need no stink in' drummer.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:31 am

brent wrote:Re: Lack of Louie....They didn't need no stink in' drummer.

It's a shame, because with the way he played on WUC & PP2 it would have added so much to the sound.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:59 am

So based on that short clip, Mark Kelly is apparently the fastidious one.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:57 pm

executioner wrote:
It's a shame, because with the way he played on WUC & PP2 it would have added so much to the sound.
Brent is exaggerating (slightly). My understanding is that it basically worked like this: Louie would come in and lay down a drum track, then the Elefante Bros. would lay beat-for-beat samples over Louie's playing which is why drums on those albums sound really dry and punchy. So what you're hearing is Louie's playing but not an actual recording of his playing, if that makes sense. I assume the reason Louie wasn't in the video is because the drum work was already done, and Louie doesn't sing, so he really had no reason to be there.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
executioner wrote:
Brent is exaggerating (slightly). My understanding is that it basically worked like this: Louie would come in and lay down a drum track, then the Elefante Bros. would lay beat-for-beat samples over Louie's playing which is why drums on those albums sound really dry and punchy. So what you're hearing is Louie's playing but not an actual recording of his playing, if that makes sense. I assume the reason Louie wasn't in the video is because the drum work was already done, and Louie doesn't sing, so he really had no reason to be there.
John Lawry told me that they mapped out the drums on a drum machine and then overdubbed cymbals, etc. Remember, back at this time, they did not have digital audio workstations yet. They barely had drum triggers back then. Roger Nichols developed the Wendell for drum replacement, but they did not have it AFAIK. John told me that they had a hard time finding computers and drum machines/sequencers that kept time. Louie told me that he hated playing the electronic drums/samples. The reason why Louie hated all of the digital crap then was because of the sounds (they were very low bit back then and the converters were terrible) but samples were recordings of single hits. Louie had to adapt his playing so that the drums did not sound so fake, like a machine gun firing.
0 x