WARNING: New Compilation About To Be Released

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: WARNING: New Compilation About To Be Released

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:43 am

Matthew RJ wrote:Interesting album art, but why would they include other compilations in it? :shock:
It does seem odd.
0 x

pethead97
Pethead
Pethead

Post by pethead97 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:54 am

I think I will buy that album....no wait...get the mp3s together, burn it on disc, and there you go. ;)
0 x
[img]http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/history/Colts_logo_Nov20.jpg[/img] [img]http://photo.stamps.com/web/images/catalog/nflimages/First_Release/New_York_Giants/small_newyorkgiants_logo.gif[/img]

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:29 pm

Compilations are not going to grow the "fan base". Think about it. Who wants the old stuff recycled? Not the band. They don't make money from it. They make money on the new stuff, hence the reason for re-recording it and not pimping a compilation album of old tracks. All compilations do is allow the record companies to make money. They time this stuff so that when the artist releases something new, they can maximize the opportunity. Right now, the interest is there. People are going to Classic Petra shows, and buying CDs/DVDs. Right now the greedy goobers are striking while the iron is hot (relatively speaking). The label could care less about making new fans, helping Petra or winning souls. They are a secular company through and through and are trying to stay afloat. Period.
0 x

Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Timbo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm surprized there are even compilations anymore. Along the lines of the ipod comment, I don't know why a new fan would even buy a compilation when you can preview and purchase single songs of your choice.
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Timbo wrote:I'm surprized there are even compilations anymore. Along the lines of the ipod comment, I don't know why a new fan would even buy a compilation when you can preview and purchase single songs of your choice.
With Spotify, why even go through the expense of buying the songs? Just preview and star the ones you like. If you pay the $10 or $15 a month or whatever it is, you can have them on your iPod, too (or you can just hope Spotify forgets your free trial ran out two months ago, like they have me).
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:14 pm

I've used spotify and there is no way I would choose it over the physical disc. I do not own an ipod. I do not like itunes- absolutely hate the software. So those are a couple reasons a person might buy the disc.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:06 pm

iTunes software is great, if you have Apple products and Apple accounts. One button push and I have all of my music on all of my iPods, iPhone, Macs, etc. It is part of a system. Using one Apple product on it's own does not make sense to me. You miss the experience.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:27 pm

On Windows, iTunes is just a huge piece of shit - It installed a bunch of apple things on my computer without my approval and then I was not being able to run iTunes anyway. (A process started but nothing more happened). Except for once when I got it running. Anyway. After that I decided to make my computer 100% apple free. Which was a bit of work after the wily iTunes installation.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:32 pm

0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Boray wrote:On Windows, iTunes is just a huge piece of shit - It installed a bunch of apple things on my computer without my approval and then I was not being able to run iTunes anyway. (A process started but nothing more happened). Except for once when I got it running. Anyway. After that I decided to make my computer 100% apple free. Which was a bit of work after the wily iTunes installation.
I don't know about installing things without your permission. I do know that it does not have all of the features as the Mac version. It is an Apple product and should never have been ported over. The only reason it was to generate iPod sales.
0 x

CatNamedManny
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:56 pm

rexreed wrote:I've used spotify and there is no way I would choose it over the physical disc. I do not own an ipod. I do not like itunes- absolutely hate the software. So those are a couple reasons a person might buy the disc.
A few months ago, I would have agreed with you about Spotify vs. physical discs, but the first thing I do when I get a disc is rip it onto my Macbook, and file the disc away onto my shelf, where it never comes out again. Since trying out Spotify back in November or December, I haven't opened my iTunes once to play a song (I have opened it to create a ringtone and some other things like that). Part of that is, as you mention, the iTunes software itself, which is way too big and bulky these days. And part of it is that if I have all the songs on my iTunes plus any other songs I can think to search, listen to and "keep" synced to all of my music-listening devices (laptop, iPhone, iPad), then why do I need to buy the music anymore?

Not that I won't ever buy the music. Some bands, Petra among them, I'll always buy their music. But it probably just means I'll rip the CD to my iTunes, then open up Spotify and listen to it through there.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:43 pm

brent wrote:iTunes software is great, if you have Apple products and Apple accounts. One button push and I have all of my music on all of my iPods, iPhone, Macs, etc. It is part of a system. Using one Apple product on it's own does not make sense to me. You miss the experience.
Apple does not make a single product that I need. They never have.

As for Spotify...it requires you to have an internet connection, right? What do you do when you are in an area with no connection?
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:17 am

brent wrote:EMI is in the toilet. EMI will continue to do this with all of their artists. Sony is doing it, but at least they are working with the artists at times, giving them the chance to be involved with song selections, remixes, providing alternate tracks, mastering, etc. It is sad that in this case, Petra isn't making any real money at this. Bob is probably making a little. 28k in sales....oh boy.
No kidding. The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary and Reunion Tour. What is EMI doing? New Album, New Compliation and New Re-Issues of all their past albums.......why? Everyone has them already. Just put the new album out and tour and maybe a DVD if everyone wants to buy another copy of the older albums they'll buy it.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:40 am

What the heck...I'll probably end up buying this. :oops:

Petra: Best Of The 80s and John Schlitt's new album The Greater Cause are the only CDs I'll buy this year anyway.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:20 am

St_Augustines_Pears wrote:Petra: Best Of The 80s and John Schlitt's new album The Greater Cause are the only CDs I'll buy this year anyway.
Not even Back To The Rock II or whatever it's going to be called? It will be out in September. Seems like a better investment than The Best Of The 80s.
0 x