Killing My Old Man off Come & Join US

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Re: Killing My Old Man off Come & Join US

Post by rexreed » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:37 pm

That's really cool that you remember that. On those old buildings I always wonder if it is paint or asbestos falling from the ceiling...
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:05 pm

executioner wrote:If I remember correctly it was a can good benefit show and it was at the old West Orange-Stark HS gym. I'm pretty sure they no longer use the building it was ancient then and I believe was some type of catholic prep school from the turn of the century and the school district bought it sometime in the 70's and refurbished it.
Being only 10 at the time I thought the show was great; it was Louie's first show with the band and it was loud and raw. They played KMOM & Angel of Light off of NSD, but everything else was from the first 3 albums. The one thing about the show I will never forget was the sound was so loud that paint particles were falling from the ceiling and the gym was literally shaking. I believe it to be the loudest concert I've ever have attended.
I always thought that Louie only joined the band for the Servant/Petra tour in Spring 1982. I have a publicity shot for Never Say Die that was taken before Louie was even part of the band. That shot was taken in 1981. Louie was still involved with Randy Matthews in 1980 and 1981. So it sounds like it's kind of impossible to see Louie with Petra in 1980. Are you sure about the date and aren't you perhaps confusing Louie's presence with a later show? Too bad you didn't have a nice small .mp3-recorder at the time. :roll:
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:53 am

Pfreak,

After reading your post I wanted to make sure I had my dates and years correct so I contacted the promoter that I know that has been bringing Petra to the Dallas area for the last 30 years and he assured me that it was most likely Louie on drums that night because he brought Petra to Dallas in the spring of 1981 and Louie was with them, but only on a part time basis and a fill in. Louie did not officially become a full fledge member of Petra until the fall on 1981. From how Russell talks Louie only played probably 8-10 dates for the year before he becoming a full flegde member.
I really dont remember how he was introduce, but I know it was him because I have an autographed drum stick from that night. I also know that November 1980 was the month/year because the concert happened on the weekend of my mom's 40th birthday and my older brother and I begged my parents to let us go.
Now after talking with Russell I'm wondering who was the other drummer for the band at the time; Russell said it seemed to be a mixutre of folks and probably the only reason why he remembers Louie was because of his longivity with Petra
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks for clarifying that, exe. That makes sense. I know that before they had Louie they had a couple of other fill-in guys. The guy on the Never Say Die promo picture is called Jeff Boggs. I tried to upload the picture, but it doesn't accept it. I don't know why. I'll try again later.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by Jonathan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Any follow-up on this?
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Nope. I occasionally write to the guy. He promised me pictures and possibly a rip, but nothing has come of it yet. He's got it in storage somewhere, so it might be a long time still.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:33 pm

Louie played with Petra in 80, joined in 81.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:17 am

p-freak wrote:Nope. I occasionally write to the guy. He promised me pictures and possibly a rip, but nothing has come of it yet. He's got it in storage somewhere, so it might be a long time still.
Frankly, it smells like BS.
0 x

Bill Meterman Glover
Founding or Official Member of Petra

Post by Bill Meterman Glover » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:27 am

This is Bill Glover. I'm a founding member of Petra and the original drummer. i am the drummer on "Come & Join Us". "Killing My Old Man" was recorded by our original band, live & in the studio. I don't personally have, or I should say I can't find the studio version. however, I can tell you that the original band played the song with a harder, raw Classic Rock style and the tempo was quicker than the later version members of this site have mentioned. in my humble opinion the newer version is lame in comparison. I opened the song with an 8-bar drum intro using my kick, snare & cowbell. There is live recordings out there of the original vintage Petra performing the song. Blessings, Meterman
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Sounds awesome Bill. I love the music from that era. I don't know that anyone on here has ever heard it or at least hasn't admitted it yet. :lol:
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by Jonathan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:44 am

Bill Meterman Glover wrote:This is Bill Glover. I'm a founding member of Petra and the original drummer. i am the drummer on "Come & Join Us". "Killing My Old Man" was recorded by our original band, live & in the studio. I don't personally have, or I should say I can't find the studio version. however, I can tell you that the original band played the song with a harder, raw Classic Rock style and the tempo was quicker than the later version members of this site have mentioned. in my humble opinion the newer version is lame in comparison. I opened the song with an 8-bar drum intro using my kick, snare & cowbell. There is live recordings out there of the original vintage Petra performing the song. Blessings, Meterman
GHF Re-record?
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Bill Meterman Glover

Post by Bill Meterman Glover » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Thank you! The drum solo was done in one take. In fact, I recorded the drums for the whole album in one day! By far the hardest song for me was "God Gave Rock n' Roll to You".
0 x