Jonh Smoking in Jekill and Hyde

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Re: Jonh Smoking in Jekill and Hyde

Post by rexreed » Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am

I'm guessing it is the language barrier.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 am

I believe that he has given up on Petra and being a fan, because he thinks John is holding a cigarette, to appeal to a wider audience to further sales over the message. That is what I believe, based on a PM. I told him that he is making a bad decision, for the wrong reason, because the pic does NOT show John holding a cig or smoking. This is a shame, but this is how knee-jerk and right wing people can be, when they do not have the facts and perceive something that is not reality.

IF John DID smoke, which he doesn't, and IF John DID drink a beer every now and then, I would not hold it against him, or God. It does not change the message of the Gospel or it's effectiveness. It is not John that regenerates, justifies, etc. It is GOD. True, it would not be ideal for his image and testimony. But, John is not a pastor, teacher, bishop, etc. John is an artist that uses art to minister. He is not sanctioned or managed by a church or para church organization.

Before some of you say John should or should not do "x" or "y", make sure you do not put any harmful things into your bodies (Coke, candy, tainted produce, processed meats, etc), don't eat too much, sleep too much, etc. All I am saying is a cig and a smoke is not going to keep someone out of heaven any more than overindulging at the chocolate fountain at Golden Choral will.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 am

Mountain Man wrote:
brent wrote:If they could have done this right after CITAS and then bypassed all of the J&D records, then I would have been one happy cat.
But then we wouldn't have "Wake Up Call" which is one of their best sounding albums. I would rather they skipped everything post WUC and went straight to "Jekyll & Hyde".

I feel the same way; I would leave everything out post WUC to pre JAH with the exception of PP2. PP2 sounds alot like WUC sonic wise and even though it seems to be a bit mellower then previous offerings I think its their best praise album and is in top 10 catagory for Petra.
BTW after listening to John's interview last week on his comments about the No Doubt album I went back and listened to it for a full day just to see if I could finally come to terms with it and like it, I've come to the assessment that my first and all impressions are still the same and it is by far Petra's worst offering. The only song that remotely does anything for me would be the title track and maybe "Enter In".
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu May 17, 2012 8:43 am

brent wrote:I believe that he has given up on Petra and being a fan, because he thinks John is holding a cigarette, to appeal to a wider audience to further sales over the message. That is what I believe, based on a PM. I told him that he is making a bad decision, for the wrong reason, because the pic does NOT show John holding a cig or smoking. This is a shame, but this is how knee-jerk and right wing people can be, when they do not have the facts and perceive something that is not reality.

IF John DID smoke, which he doesn't, and IF John DID drink a beer every now and then, I would not hold it against him, or God. It does not change the message of the Gospel or it's effectiveness. It is not John that regenerates, justifies, etc. It is GOD. True, it would not be ideal for his image and testimony. But, John is not a pastor, teacher, bishop, etc. John is an artist that uses art to minister. He is not sanctioned or managed by a church or para church organization.

Before some of you say John should or should not do "x" or "y", make sure you do not put any harmful things into your bodies (Coke, candy, tainted produce, processed meats, etc), don't eat too much, sleep too much, etc. All I am saying is a cig and a smoke is not going to keep someone out of heaven any more than overindulging at the chocolate fountain at Golden Choral will.
Hopefully he hasn't gone to the extreme that he should feel like Petra is no longer effective.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu May 17, 2012 9:07 am

I think he is there.
0 x

petheadeast123
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 2004

Post by petheadeast123 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Wow... kinda reminds me of the misheard lyrics of "God Is Too Big" story.. I don't see how someone so familiar with John and/or Petra gets things like this mixed up. It seems to be that they are looking to find something wrong. They need to listen to the beginning of Judas' Kiss... backwards lol..

Honestly, I can seeee (sorta) how it would look like that... but come on its obvious thats not what it is. John is holding his hand close to his mouth (probably arranged by the photographer) and what Leandro might be seein as a "cigarette" is clearly the rings that John wears (one on his ring finger and one on his middle)

I agree with Brent's comments on this 100% and Jonathan's video is a spitting image of my reaction to this post lol!
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu May 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Brent, watch it! you're hitting way too close to home with your overindulging at the chocolate fountain at Golden Choral comment (btw, it's corral). Choral is a singing group of people (too much music on your mind, I guess).

Speaking of "God is Too Big," I was just thinking about this today. Why is it that no one 'mis-hears' "God is TOO BIG to fail?"

ya know?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri May 18, 2012 8:18 am

"...looking for evil wherever we can find it..."
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 18, 2012 8:24 am

Dangitalltoheck. Golden choir. Funny.

BTW, while we are on the subject of choirs and golden and chocolate....did anyone see the movie with Dolly and Queen Latifah? That movie made me sick. That kind of crap really happens, and it is all about the show biz and performance, rather than a REAL message or some REAL praising. My wife made me watch it with her and the girls. Two hours of my life I will never get back.
0 x

pethead97
Pethead
Pethead

Post by pethead97 » Sat May 19, 2012 6:58 pm

:roll: wasn't this discussed way back when J & H was first released?
0 x
[img]http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/history/Colts_logo_Nov20.jpg[/img] [img]http://photo.stamps.com/web/images/catalog/nflimages/First_Release/New_York_Giants/small_newyorkgiants_logo.gif[/img]

Markus
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Markus » Tue May 22, 2012 1:59 pm

brent wrote:...
+1
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 am

sue d. wrote:Speaking of "God is Too Big," I was just thinking about this today. Why is it that no one 'mis-hears' "God is TOO BIG to fail?"
"Too big to fail" is a well-known catch phrase promoted by Obama during the bailout scam, so it's a lot harder to "mis-hear" it in the song.
Last edited by Mountain Man on Wed May 23, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed May 23, 2012 10:27 am

pethead97 wrote::roll: wasn't this discussed way back when J & H was first released?
Yeah, it was, and John Schlitt's reaction was basically, "Seriously, how stupid are you people?" though he's far to nice to have put it exactly like that.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Wed May 23, 2012 8:11 pm

"Too big to fail" is a well-known catch phrase promoted by Obama
Guess that's why I didn't recognize it... Obama and I don't exactly get along.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu May 24, 2012 11:21 am

sue d. wrote:
"Too big to fail" is a well-known catch phrase promoted by Obama
Guess that's why I didn't recognize it... Obama and I don't exactly get along.
Yeah him & I seem to disagree alot also; thank God he will be gone by Jan.
0 x