Best of the 80s remastered!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
AntonW
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1989

Best of the 80s remastered!

Post by AntonW » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:19 am

I know some aren't into it but Im looking forward to the remastered sound of Petra's couple upcoming older albums TMW and MPTY.

It seems here in Australia on the iTunes store they have already made available the new compilation "best of the 80s" - it would seem this too is remastered as the sound is a lot clearer and higher when compared to regular album tracks. Is this the case - it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere however. But the sound quality is definitely a better quality, it is noticeable. I'm about to purchase and download the album now. :)
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Best of the 80s remastered!

Post by executioner » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:47 am

I really what to hear what the difference is from remastered to original, but because of the source I'm not willing to dish out the funds for this.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Maybe you can tell from the clips on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-80s-Petra/dp ... f_se_p_t_2
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:50 am

I don't get why Bema Seat is considered to be a "best of". It's so very repetitive... Has never been a favourite for me.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:48 pm

I've never been a fan of Clean, but a lot of folks DO like it so I understand why it is considered a hit. WHat I dislike most about it is the part where greg screams "Hey, I'm talkin to you!" Ugh- that sounds so....sissy. However as much as I dislike Clean as a studio cut I will admit that it is a good song to hear live. Bema Seat is OK for me. Certainly not their best but still it is a good song.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them

Post by pmal » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Because Bema Seat has one of the most awesome guitar solos ever, IMO. Plus, the message gets me every time I hear it.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

AntonW
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1989

Post by AntonW » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:03 pm

It's simply because starsong noticed that classic Petra have it on their latest CDs. Direct competition to capitalize on the renewed interest in classic petra happenings.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 pm

I can't believe they are taking 6 tracks from Captured in Time and Space and placing 3 each as bonus tracks on both the "More Power To Ya" and "This Means War" Anniversary re-issues. What the heck!!! John Schlitt wasn't even on Captured In Time & Space so all the sudden now after the album's last cut we get John Lowry's solo, Bob's Solo (The Race) and Louie's Solo...........what????
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:I can't believe they are taking 6 tracks from Captured in Time and Space and placing 3 each as bonus tracks on both the "More Power To Ya" and "This Means War" Anniversary re-issues. What the heck!!! John Schlitt wasn't even on Captured In Time & Space so all the sudden now after the album's last cut we get John Lowry's solo, Bob's Solo (The Race) and Louie's Solo...........what????
I agree this is really stupid!! At the very least throw some live cuts off of This Means War!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System

Post by Boray » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:20 am

Listening to it on Spotify right now. Definitely sounds different. And I say that even without A-B comparing to the old ones. The sad thing is that I can hear distortion on the vocals on The Coloring Song, so the new mastering has probably not been very carefully made (if not my monitor cables are lose or something).
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Boray wrote:Listening to it on Spotify right now. Definitely sounds different. And I say that even without A-B comparing to the old ones. The sad thing is that I can hear distortion on the vocals on The Coloring Song, so the new mastering has probably not been very carefully made (if not my monitor cables are lose or something).
Nah...say it ain't so. I would not trust the streaming of Spotify to reproduce any audio quality whatsoever. If you are not a premium subscriber, you get 160kbps. You have to select 320 to get it as a premium subscriber. Even so, they claim that some songs may only be available at 96kbps!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Sounds like crap IMO. Bright, brittle, distorted....gawd! This is a textbook case of everything wrong with modern mastering "in the box" nowadays. PASS ON IT!

The sad thing is, with some of the technology we have now, they could have removed some of the cheese reverb on the vocals, to make them sound less dated.

I think everyone should run out and buy a copy of it, open it, listen to it for 5 minutes, then return it. Nothing says, "THIS SUCKS!" more than a return. Then call the label and complain about how crappy it is. Enough returns and phone calls will keep the dummass wanting to cash in on Petra from thinking about it.

Here is my review:
http://www.amazon.com/Best-80s-Petra/pr ... ewpoints=1
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:58 am

brent wrote:I think everyone should run out and buy a copy of it, open it, listen to it for 5 minutes, then return it. Nothing says, "THIS SUCKS!" more than a return. Then call the label and complain about how crappy it is.
That works in theory, but every CD retailer around here (Family Christian, Wellspring, Wal-Mart,etc.) has a policy that if you want to return a CD, it has to be unopened. If the shrinkwrap is already off, you can only exchange it for the same CD.

On that note, I went to my local Family Christian bookstore this past Father's Day weekend, and they had two copies of PETRA: Best Of The '80s in stock. My 10-year-old daughter saw me looking at it, and asked if she could buy it for me...I told her to save her money.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:00 pm

brent wrote:Sounds like crap IMO. Bright, brittle, distorted....gawd! This is a textbook case of everything wrong with modern mastering "in the box" nowadays. PASS ON IT!

The sad thing is, with some of the technology we have now, they could have removed some of the cheese reverb on the vocals, to make them sound less dated.

I think everyone should run out and buy a copy of it, open it, listen to it for 5 minutes, then return it. Nothing says, "THIS SUCKS!" more than a return. Then call the label and complain about how crappy it is. Enough returns and phone calls will keep the dummass wanting to cash in on Petra from thinking about it.

Here is my review:
http://www.amazon.com/Best-80s-Petra/pr ... ewpoints=1
Pretty much what I expected. Apparently they gave the recordings to a monkey (probably an actual monkey) who pressed the "Auto-Compress!" button, collected his banana, and called it day.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:54 am

I happen to like it :lol:
0 x