Petra at Night of Joy x2 in 1985 are finally recorded.

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Petra at Night of Joy x2 in 1985 are finally recorded.

Post by executioner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 am

It was cool, you did a great job.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:32 pm

This is one of my favorite parts from the second video, during Adonai:
Attachments
1985petra.jpg
1985petra.jpg (42.38 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:41 am

Outstanding videos.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:30 pm

executioner wrote:
Boray wrote:If you listen to Captured in Time & Space, it's just in the first song (Beat the System) where there is an electronic snare drum. For the rest of the whole concert, it's all real drums (except for in one of the solo things) and if I might say, actually a really good live drum sound.
Yes Beat The System was the extreme end of it, but it was throughout the whole with the snare sounding very artifical. As for most DVD/CD recorded concerts(CITAS is good and I've enjoyed it over the years) they just can't fully capture the complete live feel that you get by your actual attendance. I will tell you though that I am one of the few that has always loved live full length concert DVD/CD. One the best put out on the CCM side is the one Skillet did in 2007; I've loaned that one out t oso many people that have never even heard of Skillet, and after watching it have become big fans.
The snare should sound artificial. It was. Louie hated it. He hated all of the "space drum" stuff. They had to replicate the sounds made on the $50k (in US 1983 dollars) Fairlight in the studio with very crude, low-bit, low cost, Yamaha digital drums and samples.

Back then, the drum pads were hard on drum sticks and the players. The pads were nothing more than wood with a rubber laminate. The trigger was on or off. There was one sample to be triggered. VERY crude, very crud. Today, the digital heads are quite good, and emulate a real drum head closer than ever. You can even use brushes on the snare, get the same acoustic noises from rims and shells as the acoustic counterparts. They have their place.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:31 pm

I really thought back in the day BTS(album) was cool, but it was my least favorite from that era.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:15 am

Realy cool to here this. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I have some petra and audio adrenaline night of joy DVD's sent to me some years ago (from the schlitt era) which sound far worse. Anyways I've listened to CITAS and BTS many, many, times and it is really nice to hear a more "accurate" representation of how Petra sounded live back in the day.

I kinda missed the BTS tour.. my first petra concert was actually in the BTTS era and boy was I surprised to see some stranger taking the lead on Volz era songs. :lol:
0 x
The choice is life. Or the lie that comes from hell..

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:19 am

adpetrafan wrote:And finally, the first 13 minutes or so of Michael W Smith at Night of Joy at Disneyworld in 1985. Sadly, I was asked to stop filming (after 3 hours of other shows...) and could not get the rest of this show. But something is better than nothing right?

Smitty released a live VHS recording around that time and the songs from it sound awful familar to what he is playing here. So I would not be surprised if they had people specifically looking for people trying to record the concert.

A shame though.. it's interesting to here the opening of the concert and some of Michael's "improve" on "I'm Up" which did not make it into the released VHS tape.
0 x
The choice is life. Or the lie that comes from hell..