40th Anniversary Tour 2013

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: 40th Anniversary Tour 2013

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:43 am

My New Years resolution is to try not to tick anybody off this year, so I'm just gonna sit on the sidelines and watch all this go down. :lol:
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:54 am

Well, if the bandmembers are wise, they don't spend a lot of time hanging out on messageboards, and I would guess they probably have too much going on to do so anyway.

This is just people's opinions. You can't take it personally or it will drive you crazy.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:35 am

Sue, artists, musicians, athletes, chefs, motion picture companies, etc have industries of people critiquing and informing the public of their opinions. We have dedicated TV, radio, sat radio, print, blogs, forums for all of this stuff. I am not saying words do not hurt, because they can. But, people who make their living doing something in any of these industries must have thick skin. This forum is no different than sports forums. People from all walks of life come here with a common interest, but do not see eye to eye about how things were managed, who was on the team, what team was best, etc.

Yesterday, I was just listening to an interview with Corey Taylor. He said what almost messed him up was taking himself too seriously, worrying about what other people said, and then thinking that everything he did was good because of past success or because it was HIS music. So many people have echoed this throughout history. EVERY song, EVERY album must be approached like the artist has to raise the bar and/or start over. When an artist spends time worrying about what other people say about them, it affects their work adversely.

Some members visit these sites and wanna chime in badly. I wouldn't be surprised if some have anonymously. In fact, I think one has. But this is a fan forum, not a band sanctioned forum, with diverse demographics. How exciting is it to log on to someone's youtube or twitter account and see nothing but smooching of the rear? I can't take it. Real fans of great bands are intense listeners, observers, factoids, etc. They have an interest in pedantic minutia. They are not passive, take it all in and gulp people. The music is intertwined with the fabric of their lives.There WILL be a difference of opinion. There is a difference of opinions IN THE BAND over events. If the fan's opinions do not jive with the band's, big deal. If the fans do something to slander the band, then that is different. But again, just because Petra did something, or John does something, or Bob does something, doesn't mean fans have to be rank and file.
0 x

BCW1969
Pethead
Pethead

Post by BCW1969 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:27 pm

It looks like I need to stay connected......The "Farewell" version of Petra will be doing concerts with Asia, Genesis, and Elo. It seems to sound as if Classic petra is on hiatus and that I will not have any new music from them to listen to anytime soon. "Don't bring me down" :cry: I wonder if there will ever be an album of all new classic petra material, I guess "Only Time will tell". You've got to wonder why they chose to go down this road? I guess it was "The Heat of The Moment". Is this news about the classic lineup being on hold and the farewell lineup touring for real??? "There must be some misunderstanding" . It does sound like they will be back at some point so all I can say to that is "Don't Cry".

Brad
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:24 pm

Well, I heard yesterday Howe left Asia too. He is returning to Yes, and Yes will be working on new music, but not with the current singer.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:43 pm

rexreed wrote:I don't remember anyone back in 1995 that thought Petra should "hang it up." In 2013 it sure is easy to "Monday Morning quarterback" the career of a band. Sheesh you people really are something! :lol:
How many people in 1995 could foresee the future of the band? How many would have said Petra should go down the path it went down, versus going down a more rock path?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:17 am

gman wrote:
rexreed wrote:I don't remember anyone back in 1995 that thought Petra should "hang it up." In 2013 it sure is easy to "Monday Morning quarterback" the career of a band. Sheesh you people really are something! :lol:
How many people in 1995 could foresee the future of the band? How many would have said Petra should go down the path it went down, versus going down a more rock path?
Can you imagine being in some industry that builds something no longer needed, and that is all you know to do? It happens everyday. It would have been impossible to take as an artist, because that is so much more personal. The music is a direct extension. Rejection is so much harder to take. I can't imagine being in that spot. I imagine they just thought..."We have heard this before". It's understandable.

So many people told Bob and the guys no, no, no over the years, yet look what happened. They made great music and had such great success. So, when the labels tried to tell them something things, because sales were trending downward, and arena rock DIED, they had a pretty good conversation about all of this IIRC.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:19 pm

Funny thing is with me arena rock never died. I waited it out and it is having a bit of a renaissance, well the non Christian bands are. Something about the masses that used to love Christian music that stop showing up. When "alternative" game of age I was shocked at how bad some of the bands were that had hits. I still dislike 90% of hip hop (don't even think of calling it R&B, total slap in the face to real artists). Petra, Whitecross, D&K- I'd still pay to go see all of 'em. That's right, even half of D&K is worth listening to.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Country music is the latest incarnation of arena rock. That's all 80s music IMO, plus we have come back tours of the 80s bands.

These are the reasons I have found through research as to why CCM listeners leave.

1. The music. It is lame.
2. They (like secular listeners) listen to what they have liked since the teens and tweens. When radio fails to feed them, they leave.
3. They (unlike secular listeners) mature out of listening to it as much, if at all, and move into talk radio.
4. They listen mostly to secular radio because they never liked it to begin with and/or see number one.
5. They do not stick around because they do not stick with the lifestyle. Secular people most always have no problem with this one.
0 x

leonardo d.
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not Of This World
Pethead since: 2003

Post by leonardo d. » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Is the Classic Rock Tour 2013 not happening? No dates have been posted on their website, and their FB page hasn't been updated since February. Seems like there is little to no interest.
0 x
Will you be there when the big door swings open?

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Maybe this has been covered but Steve Howe was not in the John Payne lineup of Asia that is touring w/ Petra. There may have been a time when he played w/ Payne but he is usually associated with the John Wetton Asia. Boy- following the Asia lineup is more confusing than Petra's. Imagine there were two Petra's at the same time, one w/ Greg and one w/ John...
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Howe went back to Yes. They just came through, played to albums non-stop. New singer is great, but no JA.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:00 pm

brent wrote:Howe went back to Yes. They just came through, played to albums non-stop. New singer is great, but no JA.
Why isn't Jon Anderson in Yes anymore? Is it health related?
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Anderson had health issues(throat maybe?) a few years back. He was replaced with Benoit David, but that ended and the new lead is really good. He is from a band that is heavily Yes influenced. For a number of years Howe was in both Yes and Asia. When they toured together he gave that rug a real workout.
0 x