40th Anniversary Tour 2013

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Re: 40th Anniversary Tour 2013

Post by p-freak » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:23 am

brent wrote:I would only go to a show if they had all new material and John Slick on keys. They really need something different to be interesting to me live. How many times can I watch the same thing since 2005?
You're spoilt by all the bootlegs. :lol:

I haven't seen anything Petra-related live since the Farewell tour, so I'll jump at any chance to see any kind of Petra as long as they bring Bob.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:04 am

You've got that right brotha'.

The upside of new media is that I can see anything.
The downside of new media is that I can see anything.
There is no more suspense, no mystery, no anticipation to experience something first hand, without seeing it, hearing it and reading about it.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:20 am

brent wrote:You've got that right brotha'.

The upside of new media is that I can see anything.
The downside of new media is that I can see anything.
There is no more suspense, no mystery, no anticipation to experience something first hand, without seeing it, hearing it and reading about it.
Along those lines, when waiting for a new CD to be release from an artist that I know I will want to but no matter what, I try and shield myself from listening to those 30 second clips that you can find anywhere just so when getting the new CD it will be the first time my ears will be hearing the music just like the old days.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:09 am

Exec, I do the exact same thing! It's hard though, and sometimes I fail :(
0 x

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:18 pm

I think Sue is the one who can tell us what will really happen on this tour.
New CD, songs from different eras or anything else.
I hope she keeps us informed!
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Lots of speculation going on here... wow!

Things are still in the planning stages; nothing is set in stone yet, except that the guys are going out again.

Brent: John Slick? Seriously? He hasn't been around in regards to Petra in ages.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:09 am

I know, and he is probably the most organic, underexposed, element who would create enough interest for me. Otherwise, I have seen this act, doing the same songs more or less, for 7 years. Now we have a new drummer with no ties to the heritage of the band. Meh. I don't know what happened between Paul and the band, but he would have been nice to see in the mix. Without new music, and I don't mean P&W genre stuff, or Slick, or Mark Kelly, or at least Lawry, I don't think I will care much. Luckily for Petra, they don't care what I think. Although, the stuff I have been vocal with some members about on the phone or in emails has eventually happened (10 years later in some cases). So, now that this is in print, maybe it will come true before the band members get to old to play/sing, or Obama as head of the new world order kills Christian activities (ahhh, common', you know I'm kiddin').

Schlitt
Hartman
Slick
Kelly
Weaver
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:49 am

Paul would be welcomed with open arms IF he were available - he's been asked, and he simply can't commit. Hence Cristian, who has done an amazing job - he's ALWAYS available, has spent his own money traveling back and forth and is a real sweetie. Not to mention a great drummer.

He came in already knowing the Petra tunes because he is a long-time fan. In fact, HE was runner-up to Paul when Petra was auditioning for a new drummer back in 2003. Bob and I searched the globe trying to find him again in... what... 2010, I think.

Cristian was BOB's choice - and you know what happens to people who diss BOB!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 am

Yeah...I know. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Re: Paul. He will be recording for me in the near future, if all goes as planned. I know that he has to stay close to home. He turned down the gig that would have been THE best Christian prog rock gig of all time.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm sure he had his reasons...Haha, what is it you said about drummers? 8) :mrgreen:

I would love to hear him play with Petra again, and I'm glad he's working with you.
0 x

Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor23 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:12 pm

This is exciting news for fans and for the band, regardless of the lineup.

Frankly, what makes me a bit weary is the chronic complaining on this site every time something new is announced re: Petra, ClassicPetra, or John Schlitt. Each time something new is announced, it's not long at all before several someones post complaints about some aspect of it.

Of course, everyone has the right to his opinions. And I guess there is some value somewhere in the expressing of negative opinions. Maybe it would be less irritating if the complaints would be withheld at least for a time to give the fans a chance to celebrate before raining on our collective parade?

Andy
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Your point is well taken. We are the trekkies of Petra. We get a bit more concerned about things than we should. We don't have a life. :) My opinion is not the end all be all. Nor is my taste considered when "the band" does what they do. They have done what they could do when they were being squeezed by the labels, the times, the trends, and band members being stupid idiots. The stuff I have known about, I have not complained about. My point is, the stuff we complain about is superficial, for the most part. These aren't deal breaker topics for most of us.

I have been a fan since day one almost, and I have seen some shows and heard some music that has alienated me as a fan, been below the production and artist standards set by the band, and it has not made any sense at all. It SUCKED. Does that mean that I cannot say anything? No. Does it mean that I have to accept the crappy records? No. If the band reads these forums, then they will get some feedback. Good.

Fortunately for the band, the Petra machine, etc, my money has spoken louder than my words. My money has spoken in favor of them more than it hasn't, even when my heart (and ears) were not in it. When I go to a Petra or John show, I buy every CD available from the merch table. Why? I know how hard it is and it's the least I can do to repay them for what they have done for me.

I have never complained about their gigs per se. Gigs pay the bills. Recordings do not really. I have always said that they/John should be in the secular venues. They have to quit singing to the church choir so to speak. If they are to grow, they have to go out into the great big world and spread it. While I don't think much of the other acts on the secular tour, I am on record stating Petra will mop up.

Classic Petra...done. Period. That's my opinion. Glad it happened. Couldn't have happened without Greg pushing for it. There is no complaining there. It needed to happen to bring closure, if for no other people than the fans.
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:35 pm

brent wrote:Your point is well taken. We are the trekkies of Petra. We get a bit more concerned about things than we should. We don't have a life. :)
I know I don't have a life. :wink:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be drooling the drool of regret into the pillow of remorse. (Keith Olbermann fans will get the reference).

*cwies* :cry:
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 am

Tutor23 wrote:]Frankly, what makes me a bit weary is the chronic complaining on this site every time something new is announced re: Petra, ClassicPetra, or John Schlitt. Each time something new is announced, it's not long at all before several someones post complaints about some aspect of it.
To be fair, Petra has brought some of this on themselves. If they had done the Farewell show and gone out with a bang (sort of), then I think we'd all be mostly content and happy with the musical legacy they left us. But having spent the past decade more or less trying to recapture their former glory is bound to have some negative consequences, and one of those is loyal fans becoming increasingly upset as their favorite band essentially drags themselves through the mud, killing their own splendor.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:
he thing I'm wondering about is why not CP in place instead of "Farewell Petra" for this opportunity?
The bigger question for me is why not use both. I mean it seems like a 40th Anniversary Tour would be the ideal time to bring everyone to the party.

Have you ever thought that maybe not everyone wants to go to the party?
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!