Time to hang it up?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Time to hang it up?

Post by Shell » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 pm

I like a few of Bon Jovi's older songs, they were catchy, but he was overrated. Mick Jagger never could sing as far as I'm concerned. :P
0 x

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:15 pm

rexreed wrote:
mikey32187 wrote:
rexreed wrote:No they should not hang it up. Remember when they tried that eight years ago? There is still more music to be had in the group known as Petra.
How can you say that when they have been doing the JAH tour for the past eight year???
Easy- are the songs good? Then there is plenty of good music to be played. Is there is a new song that may pop up every once in a while, then groovy. As for Classic Petra, it's too bad the money wasn't there, but I was glad they didn't stay "hung up" for the couple years they were together. In a perfect world i would like to see dual lead vocals playing a full range of Petra styles. If that can't happen then I'll take what I can get. There is simply no advantage for me, as a listener. for Petra to "hang it up."

Yes the songs are good but even good songs can get stale if the band plays the same setlist year after year. I love Petra but on the same note I am not a blind follower of the band that looks at things through rose colored glasses. The reality is is that the music is stale because they have done the same stuff for years. Why not rotate the catalog and do some stuff that hasn't been done for years such as songs from On Fire or BTTS.

Petra should do one of three things

1. Mix up the setlist. shelve some songs for awhile and do some that we have not heard in years
2. Hang it up and go out with dignity.
3. New album, new songs and new tour

JAH and Farewell are over with period. I am sorry if this offends but it is an objective analysis of the situation. I just will not go along with the crowd here and think that Petra can do no wrong. I love the guys of Petra and the band but not to the point where I goosestep in line with those who think they are perfect
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:16 pm

Amen! My thoughts exactly. These guys have been trying to sell the same act for 10 years. Enough already. Classic Petra was the only fresh thing Petra has done in a decade and when you consider they were using mostly old songs, that's really saying something about how stale Farewell Petra is at this point.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:05 pm

I swear...I had forgotten just how aggravating this Zone can be. Why, oh, why did I choose to remind myself?!?

As many of you probably remember, I have always been a fan of the Classic Petra line-up (I came to Christ during their tenure). I even started a CP fan forum when they first came out. BUT...even I'm getting aggravated at the frankly mean-spirited comments about FP. No, I'm not saying worship them...that's not only unscriptural but foolish. Nor, am I saying that they are above critique...no man is. However, how those critiques are delivered make all the difference in the world. Would you say the things you are saying to the face of any of the members of those groups if you could. Would you use words like "stale, tired and irrelevant?" If you would...well, I'm just not sure what can of a man/ woman that makes you...let alone what kind of believer we are projecting! It's one thing to say "I don't prefer this line-up" or "I dont relate to this particular group." But...I see a lot of other stuff that I think crosses a line into petulance, snottiness and bitterness. It's disappointing. Btw, I'd just like to say that I've always appreciated how Brent approaches things. While I don't always agree with him...and sometimes disagree with his statements strongly...he always has reasoning for his position...even in the times he has worded things a bit more strong than I prefer.

Petra...whatever line-up it is...should continue as long as God continues to open doors for them to do so. If you don't like it...don't buy it...dont go to the shows...but, most of all...stop complaining about it. Romans 14:4 "Who are you to condemn someone else's servants? Their own master will judge whether they stand or fall. And with the Lord's help, they will stand and receive his approval." God will close the door when He feels its time to do so. Until then...we as believers in Jesus should celebrate that God still has people for Petra to minister to even after 40 years of faithful service...any of us should be so blessed. God bless John, Bob, Greg and Cristian and they move forward in faithful obediance to the calling that God has on THEIR lives...

Eric
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:Amen! My thoughts exactly. These guys have been trying to sell the same act for 10 years. Enough already. Classic Petra was the only fresh thing Petra has done in a decade and when you consider they were using mostly old songs, that's really saying something about how stale Farewell Petra is at this point.
How can you say that when you haven't even been to the current shows, and when the lineup with Greg V was doing the same stuff? I'm all for fresh music, but to compare like that when you haven't even seen the current line up is rather ridiculous.

Don’t get me wrong; I love Greg V. I happen to think nobody can do Beat the System, The Coloring Song, Judas’ Kiss or Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows the way he can. I have the DVD and CD from that tour and love them. But to continue to put down the current lineup (John particularly) because it doesn’t consist of the members you want is getting old. Suggestion for you (or anyone else who might not care for the current line up): Why don't you put some of this time and energy you're using to complain into doing something constructive like maybe checking to see what the folks who aren’t involved in this particular tour might be doing (i.e., Greg V, Johnny Lawry, Louie or any of the others) and see what you can do to help them or support any projects they might be working on?

The fact is, whether Petra hangs it up or not isn't our call.
Last edited by Shell on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:16 pm

I for one am happy to see them back together and playing. That they are going back on the road and that someone is giving them a place to play, especially the macdaddy of festivals, is a miracle as far as I'm concerned. When Whiteheart does their tour, they're going to play Whiteheart, pretty much as it was back in the day, and it's going to be phenomenal. When I go see Petra at Creation. I want to hear Petra. Some different songs from the last time would be nice, and some variation is ok, but I'm not interested in hearing anything with a Double Take style makeover. I expect to hear Petra as remembered, and I will appreciate it for what it is. Something I haven't heard live in a long time. Bob, John, Greg, and Christian making excellent music. They've got a decent time slot. It's a bit short, but still they should see a decent crowd, and the rockers and guitar nuts should definitely enjoy it.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Masada1 wrote:I swear...I had forgotten just how aggravating this Zone can be. Why, oh, why did I choose to remind myself?!?

As many of you probably remember, I have always been a fan of the Classic Petra line-up (I came to Christ during their tenure). I even started a CP fan forum when they first came out. BUT...even I'm getting aggravated at the frankly mean-spirited comments about FP. No, I'm not saying worship them...that's not only unscriptural but foolish. Nor, am I saying that they are above critique...no man is. However, how those critiques are delivered make all the difference in the world. Would you say the things you are saying to the face of any of the members of those groups if you could. Would you use words like "stale, tired and irrelevant?" If you would...well, I'm just not sure what can of a man/ woman that makes you...let alone what kind of believer we are projecting! It's one thing to say "I don't prefer this line-up" or "I dont relate to this particular group." But...I see a lot of other stuff that I think crosses a line into petulance, snottiness and bitterness. It's disappointing. Btw, I'd just like to say that I've always appreciated how Brent approaches things. While I don't always agree with him...and sometimes disagree with his statements strongly...he always has reasoning for his position...even in the times he has worded things a bit more strong than I prefer.

Petra...whatever line-up it is...should continue as long as God continues to open doors for them to do so. If you don't like it...don't buy it...dont go to the shows...but, most of all...stop complaining about it. Romans 14:4 "Who are you to condemn someone else's servants? Their own master will judge whether they stand or fall. And with the Lord's help, they will stand and receive his approval." God will close the door when He feels its time to do so. Until then...we as believers in Jesus should celebrate that God still has people for Petra to minister to even after 40 years of faithful service...any of us should be so blessed. God bless John, Bob, Greg and Cristian and they move forward in faithful obediance to the calling that God has on THEIR lives...

Eric

Hi Eric. 8) Great suggestions there. Don't forget though, it is the Zone after all. :lol:
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:Amen! My thoughts exactly. These guys have been trying to sell the same act for 10 years. Enough already. Classic Petra was the only fresh thing Petra has done in a decade and when you consider they were using mostly old songs, that's really saying something about how stale Farewell Petra is at this point.

Preacherman777 I was going to comment about your post but I think the 2 posts below yours from Masada1 and Shell really says it all so I will leave it at that.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Has anyone actually seen a set list from the two recent shows? I've only seen a couple of videos with Beyond Belief, He Came He Saw He Conquered and Lord I Life Your Name On High. Not enough info to jump to the conclusion that they haven't changed the set list. We know there's at least one new song. :lol:
0 x

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:54 am

Masada1 wrote:I swear...I had forgotten just how aggravating this Zone can be. Why, oh, why did I choose to remind myself?!?

Eric
Eric

Nothing in my post was even remotely mean spirited not even close. I am just offering an honest and realistic perspective of the way things are. I am not one of these fans who say in unison with fellow fans PETRA IS GOOD, PETRA IS GREAT LONG LIVE PETRA!!!!!! Sarcasm aside, this is the kind of attitude from some fans around here. I simply want to see Petra do some different things with their music. Why not go out there and play a whole album every night or whenever they whenever they get the opportunity? Why not give their setlist a face lift by changing it up or writing songs and doing them live, regardless of whether or not they get recorded? This would probably generate some interest among some of the older fans and gain some new ones and who knows an album and tour could come from it.

But when you have been doing the same stuff for ten years living off of your last tour and at most changing a song or two from your setlist than you are not going to get very far and you are going to have a heck of a time trying to gain interest for a new album.

I love those guys and would do nothing and say nothing to hurt them and if you think this is mean then you have missed my point entirely.
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 am

After you add up crowd favorites, you know- the hits, add a couple different tunes to change things up, exactly how different will a setlist be? Petra has been successful, they have lots of hits. They also have been touring for so long that some folks are tired of hearing them. My favorite artists all have these problems. This could be seen as a positive.

Honestly I am not as happy with the newer tunes as many here are so I prefer to hear a nice mix.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 pm

mikey32187 wrote: Nothing in my post was even remotely mean spirited not even close. I am just offering an honest and realistic perspective of the way things are. I am not one of these fans who say in unison with fellow fans PETRA IS GOOD, PETRA IS GREAT LONG LIVE PETRA!!!!!! Sarcasm aside, this is the kind of attitude from some fans around here. I simply want to see Petra do some different things with their music. Why not go out there and play a whole album every night or whenever they whenever they get the opportunity? Why not give their setlist a face lift by changing it up or writing songs and doing them live, regardless of whether or not they get recorded? This would probably generate some interest among some of the older fans and gain some new ones and who knows an album and tour could come from it.

But when you have been doing the same stuff for ten years living off of your last tour and at most changing a song or two from your setlist than you are not going to get very far and you are going to have a heck of a time trying to gain interest for a new album.

I love those guys and would do nothing and say nothing to hurt them and if you think this is mean then you have missed my point entirely.
You've got some great ideas, burt I think it comes down to time and money. Petra is not the breadwinner in the equation. Stryper had to cancel on Creation because the amount Creation was paying wasn't enough to cover the total cost of getting the band members and their gear to the festival. It's great that Petra can do it.
They may be able to find the time practice and add a few additional tunes to the repertoire, but they can't have the entire Petra catalog at the ready. Anything other than adding a handful of other tunes to what thay already know is probably not realisic.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:31 am

How can you say that when you haven't even been to the current shows, and when the lineup with Greg V was doing the same stuff? I'm all for fresh music, but to compare like that when you haven't even seen the current line up is rather ridiculous.

Don’t get me wrong; I love Greg V. I happen to think nobody can do Beat the System, The Coloring Song, Judas’ Kiss or Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows the way he can. I have the DVD and CD from that tour and love them. But to continue to put down the current lineup (John particularly) because it doesn’t consist of the members you want is getting old. Suggestion for you (or anyone else who might not care for the current line up): Why don't you put some of this time and energy you're using to complain into doing something constructive like maybe checking to see what the folks who aren’t involved in this particular tour might be doing (i.e., Greg V, Johnny Lawry, Louie or any of the others) and see what you can do to help them or support any projects they might be working on?

Shell, I think you have misunderstood me on several points. My objection to the current Petra tour is not about who is playing. All I have said in regard to that is that I think Greg has retained more of his vocal ability than John has. That's just an opinion. It's not running down John. I don't mind that John and the rest of Farewell Petra are playing, but if they are going to play they need to mix it up. They have a great deal of material they could draw on that they never use and they have basically been doing the same tour for 10 years. Maybe a new song here and there, but by and large the same. Also, if they are going to drag this act back out they need to get some new material out so there is a reason to take a fresh interest in them. Otherwise, yes, at this point I feel they are old and tired. Classic Petra, was not doing the same songs, so I don't know where that comment comes from. One of the reasons I found them so refreshing is that finally there was a version of Petra doing songs from the catalog that had long been ignored. Also, they threw a couple new ones into the mix. Plus it was just nice to see many of the old favorite members back together again. I will admit that I am frustrated by what I see as the very poor handling of the whole Classic Petra thing, but that has nothing to do with Farewell Petra or my opinion of them, so I think you are painting me as something I am not. My reasons for not having any interest in Farewell Petra are mostly independent from my feelings about Classic Petra, except that I don't like the fact that the promotions have so far been done using pictures of Classic Petra and other versions of Petra, but not the version that is actually playing. That I think really stinks. I also don't like the fact that all this has been done without any official explanation for the fans about what happened to the plans for Classic Petra, but again, this is something that I see as failure on the part of their management and probably Bob, who as much as I love the guy, doesn't seem to care if the fans are confused.

Finally, I am well on top of what the other guys from Classic Petra are doing. Heck, I haven't even been to this board in months, so it's not like I'm putting a great deal of energy into running down Farewell Petra, as you put it. What brought me back here was to see what was going on with the way Farewell Petra was being promoted, to see if that was bothering anybody other than me and turns out, yes, I'm not totally alone on that. Also, I am not asking for Farewell Petra to hang it up, I'm just saying that if they continue the way they are going, I have no interest in them. So, having said all of that, having attempted to speak my peace and having been totally misunderstood as usual. I think I'll take my leave again for awhile and enjoy the peace and tranquility that comes from life outside the zone.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:05 am

Okay, perhaps I did misunderstand some of what you were saying. I understand better now where you're coming from.

As for the pictures, people posted saying it was an older picture on Facebook in case you might have missed it. They also said that it wasn't being used for promotion and that the band members have no control over it. As for the change in Classic Petra line up, the fact is the majority of us don't know the details, and don't really need to as far as I'm concerned. Those who might know more details can't talk about it for obvious reasons and there have been posts along those lines too. People are people; there is bound to be conflict when you have different personalities and different ideas on how things should be done. Stuff does happen sometimes and things don't always work out as planned, so you move on and go another direction. That sort of thing happens all the time on many levels. They're not obligated to explain everything they might do.
Last edited by Shell on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:11 am

Preacherman777 wrote:

Shell, I think you have misunderstood me on several points. My objection to the current Petra tour is not about who is playing. All I have said in regard to that is that I think Greg has retained more of his vocal ability than John has. That's just an opinion. It's not running down John. I don't mind that John and the rest of Farewell Petra are playing, but if they are going to play they need to mix it up. They have a great deal of material they could draw on that they never use and they have basically been doing the same tour for 10 years. Maybe a new song here and there, but by and large the same. Also, if they are going to drag this act back out they need to get some new material out so there is a reason to take a fresh interest in them. Otherwise, yes, at this point I feel they are old and tired. Classic Petra, was not doing the same songs, so I don't know where that comment comes from. One of the reasons I found them so refreshing is that finally there was a version of Petra doing songs from the catalog that had long been ignored. Also, they threw a couple new ones into the mix. Plus it was just nice to see many of the old favorite members back together again. I will admit that I am frustrated by what I see as the very poor handling of the whole Classic Petra thing, but that has nothing to do with Farewell Petra or my opinion of them, so I think you are painting me as something I am not. My reasons for not having any interest in Farewell Petra are mostly independent from my feelings about Classic Petra, except that I don't like the fact that the promotions have so far been done using pictures of Classic Petra and other versions of Petra, but not the version that is actually playing. That I think really stinks. I also don't like the fact that all this has been done without any official explanation for the fans about what happened to the plans for Classic Petra, but again, this is something that I see as failure on the part of their management and probably Bob, who as much as I love the guy, doesn't seem to care if the fans are confused.

Finally, I am well on top of what the other guys from Classic Petra are doing. Heck, I haven't even been to this board in months, so it's not like I'm putting a great deal of energy into running down Farewell Petra, as you put it. What brought me back here was to see what was going on with the way Farewell Petra was being promoted, to see if that was bothering anybody other than me and turns out, yes, I'm not totally alone on that. Also, I am not asking for Farewell Petra to hang it up, I'm just saying that if they continue the way they are going, I have no interest in them. So, having said all of that, having attempted to speak my peace and having been totally misunderstood as usual. I think I'll take my leave again for awhile and enjoy the peace and tranquility that comes from life outside the zone.

Even though it would be nice to have a full explanation to why CP are not doing anything its not their obligation to do so and dissing Bob in a public forum is really not proper. I would say that the main reason why we have never heard anything official from Bob or any members is because there are some legal matters that are keeping them quiet. Plus frankly ITS NONE OF OUR BUSINESS!!!!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!