Time to hang it up?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
thunderecho
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Time to hang it up?

Post by thunderecho » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Classic Petra failed to gain any steam for a number of reasons. For starters, Back to the Rock was essentially Double Take part 2 featuring Greg X. Volz. A pioneering Christian Rock band basically reunites to rehash its former glory. I love Greg. I love his style of singing, his energy. For all the hoopla and plans for the Greg era of Petra, CP morphed into the Petra farewell tour featuring Greg X Volz. Then, we hear there were plans to re- record it's older songs. Double Take part 3 and 4. really? I'm not surprised that CP didn't last. Now, I tried real hard to get a large group together to go see CP. yes, I wasn't thrilled about their "song selection" but I am a die hard Greg X Volz fan. I've never had any issues getting groups together to go to concerts. I couldn't get anyone to go see CP. much to my disappointment, no one had any interest in seeing CP. there was nothing new or relevant with CP. with their talent, I'm really surprised they chose not to make a real statement with their return. I had high expectations for CP. but their vision and goals didn't match their talent. Petra is at their best when they are relevant. Going back and re-recording all of your older songs is more desperation than relevance. Bob is a world class songwriter-why not take advantage of that? Give him more of a challenge. As much as I love Greg's voice, I'd rather buy his solo material than anything CP records. Instead of calling it "Back to the Rock", they should have called it "Been there, done that before".
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Time to hang it up? Well yes after watching that video taken in MN I can understand how someone could say that. There is no energy in the band, John does sound like he had an allergy or something like that, he can do better. However even Bob looks tired, the solos are missing notes. I love Bob but he doesn't lift his head once. The kid on drums looks out of place, and Greg B. looks to be the only one who is really enjoying himself. This is a form of Petra I don’t care to see because it is a joke. I regret not seeing CP, because that was probably the best Petra has been in the last decade. I wonder if power issues between band members blew that one out like 1985 all over again.

John Schlitt solo great!

Greg X Volz solo great!

Petra in any form now... naaa, I would rather remember the golden years.

If there was a dream team reunion, I would pay anything to see that... but we all know that aint going to happen.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Shell, there wasn't any change to the Classic Petra lineup. There was just a stopping of Classic Petra business and a restarting of Farewell Petra. What bothers me isn't that I don't know why this happened, because I do know why this happened, but there are lots of other Classic Petra fans who have no idea why this happened and who have been offered absolutely no explanation for the change, so they keep asking what going on and why all the plans seem to have been canceled and they get no answers at all. That's why it seems to me that nobody cares about them and they are being taken for granted. Personally, I'm really tempted to start talking and telling what I know, but so far I haven't.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:06 am

BTTR was not really a Double Take- the original nature of the songs was not drastically altered. I love most of the songs on BBTR, many, not all ,sound better to me than the originals. If it was like DT then the songs melodies would have to be changed, for the worse.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:47 am

rexreed wrote:BTTR was not really a Double Take- the original nature of the songs was not drastically altered. I love most of the songs on BBTR, many, not all ,sound better to me than the originals. If it was like DT then the songs melodies would have to be changed, for the worse.

Correct except I find myself now going back and listening to the originals over the BTTR versions, I find the BTTR versions thin sounding; I think Bob's guitar lacks meat and low end with the newer versions.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:54 am

Preacherman777 wrote:Shell, there wasn't any change to the Classic Petra lineup. There was just a stopping of Classic Petra business and a restarting of Farewell Petra. What bothers me isn't that I don't know why this happened, because I do know why this happened, but there are lots of other Classic Petra fans who have no idea why this happened and who have been offered absolutely no explanation for the change, so they keep asking what going on and why all the plans seem to have been canceled and they get no answers at all. That's why it seems to me that nobody cares about them and they are being taken for granted. Personally, I'm really tempted to start talking and telling what I know, but so far I haven't.

I don't really see why you feel jilted because frankly its not our business to know; No one owes anyone any explanation to why CP is no longer together. Something you and others that might feel this way may not realize but there is probably a lot legal matters taking place with CP and its best they stay completely quiet until these things pass. I know enough to know what happened and even though I'm sad by what I've been told I understand and I'm satisfied with what's been put in public.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:19 am

Trust me people. With all of the Kool Aid drinking idol worship here, you don't want to know the truth. Don't let your desires overcome your love for the music. Just enjoy what they gave you and be happy if you get more.

I learned a life lesson long ago. It is better to not expect much and be surprised with good stuff than it is to live the Osteen way and demand good stuff and be let down everyday when the world does not rotate around you.

It's business, contracts, money, terms, lawyers, negotiations, merchandise, etc. There is more to Petra than the 45 minutes you see on stage, or the smiles at the sign table.
0 x

thunderecho
Pethead
Pethead

Post by thunderecho » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:11 am

It would be best if anyone has any "behind the scenes" information on the band to please keep it to yourself. Please don't turn this message board into the National Inquirer. Pray for the band members (past and present) and their families. If it is God's will for CP to continue then they will.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:32 am

Psssh. God gave us callings in spite of our giftings. You can be called as hard as the day is long, but if you are not highly gifted, trained, skilled, connected, in the right place at the right time, and will to sell your soul, you will not make it in the music business. Please don't bring God down to the level of the music business. That's like bringing him down to the level of the American church. It is people that cash that determine whether there will be another record.

No cash? No record. Period. John knows that money doesn't fall from heaven. God can call all he wants, but if God doesn't send the money, the world that God created will not allow John to do what he wants to do. It comes from people stepping up to put their money where their mouth is. Now, God will be blessed by John's work. Isn't that what God is about? Show me you love me? YOU do this and THEN I WILL do that? God has to see some sort of due diligence on our part.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:25 am

brent wrote:Trust me people. With all of the Kool Aid drinking idol worship here, you don't want to know the truth. Don't let your desires overcome your love for the music. Just enjoy what they gave you and be happy if you get more.

I learned a life lesson long ago. It is better to not expect much and be surprised with good stuff than it is to live the Osteen way and demand good stuff and be let down everyday when the world does not rotate around you.

It's business, contracts, money, terms, lawyers, negotiations, merchandise, etc. There is more to Petra than the 45 minutes you see on stage, or the smiles at the sign table.

What we as fans see is probably not even half for what goes on. We need to just enjoy the music and ministry they have given us.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:29 am

thunderecho wrote:It would be best if anyone has any "behind the scenes" information on the band to please keep it to yourself. Please don't turn this message board into the National Inquirer. Pray for the band members (past and present) and their families. If it is God's will for CP to continue then they will.

I disagree with "if its God's Will they will continue" with the reason being God's Will doesn't always come to pass because of the human factor being involved; none of us are perfect and fail everyday.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:14 pm

executioner wrote:
rexreed wrote:BTTR was not really a Double Take- the original nature of the songs was not drastically altered. I love most of the songs on BBTR, many, not all ,sound better to me than the originals. If it was like DT then the songs melodies would have to be changed, for the worse.

Correct except I find myself now going back and listening to the originals over the BTTR versions, I find the BTTR versions thin sounding; I think Bob's guitar lacks meat and low end with the newer versions.
Sonically, the whole BTTR record sounds pretty 2-D. It is a wall of sound that has been compressed. When you take an overdriven sound and compress it, that is what happens. Back before people who can't mix started over compressing, we had punchy mids. Those are gone. If you listen to Def Leppard or Boston (both of which used Tom Sholtz's Rockman, the guitars aren't as distorted, and do not go down into the bass range. AC/DC's Back In Black is another example of everything staying in it's place, and the mids punching. Today, people are drop tuning to C, D, etc, as well as distorting bass. Instruments are not staying in their power range. When all of that is compressed, it all sounds like crap.

I would encourage people to search youtube for Petra doing Praise Ye The Lord live. There is an old video of the guys playing through Fenders, and they freakin' punch. I stopped caring for Bob's tone after Not Of This World. Most of the harder albums they did sounded thin, scooped in the mids...so 80s.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:20 pm

thunderecho wrote:It would be best if anyone has any "behind the scenes" information on the band to please keep it to yourself. Please don't turn this message board into the National Inquirer. Pray for the band members (past and present) and their families. If it is God's will for CP to continue then they will.
Wise words. It is not right or constructive for someone who might have "insider information" to talk about what they know on the Internet. It wouldn't accomplish anything, and they are not obligated to let everyone in on everything that goes on. "Insider information" can be open to interpretation depending on who you might be talking to anyway--Different people have different takes.

Take the high road and keep what you might know to yourself.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:24 pm

executioner wrote: I disagree with "if its God's Will they will continue" with the reason being God's Will doesn't always come to pass because of the human factor being involved; none of us are perfect and fail everyday.
I understand what you mean, but the fact is, God is bigger than any nonsense people can come up with and He can and does use imperfect people. Human failure doesn't stop God. If it did, we'd be in a whole lotta trouble. :P
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:38 pm

I think we need to consider what God's will is for mankind. God's will is that none should perish, yet we know there is a hell, and there will be a judgement of the saved and the lost. We know that believers will have the blood of the lost on their hands in judgement. That right there tells me that WE have an impact, good or bad. If God's perfect will comes to pass no matter what we do, then God is kind of just playing games with us. We get to screw off all we want to, God gets his job done, and all is good in the end. This is not so. We will be rewarded for our labor, stewardship, etc. The fact that the saved will have rewards, good and bad, for their labor says that people will not live up to their potential and God's will. Since WE are essentially the hands and feet of Christ on earth, and God moves and touches people through people, we can and do cause some people to make decisions other than what God wants.

God did not set up a system based on commerce. Commerce is not evil in and of itself. But, the dispensing of the Gospel is OUR job individually. Missions requiring people to travel, are to be commissioned by the local church. Those people need to be funded. Petra is a business, that makes a profit (for someone) and does not exist without money. They do work that benefit's God and God's people, in the form of ministering through Christian entertainment. But, Petra is not essential. Christian music is not essential. Music for money is not essential to spreading the Gospel. Music is to be made in our hearts, to minister to each other and in response to praise God. If you want to pay to hear somebody do that, fine. But that is not God's will. It is a human's free will choice, as they are able.

We are not to praise or worship people, or music. This is a fine line that many cross. Many here cross it. Again, God's will is bigger than Petra. Petra is not by and of the church organizationally.

Petra is a group of Christians playing music, selling music...for money. What if the world goes broke tomorrow? There would be no CCM industry. Why? No money. God's will will still remain, and so will the calling upon man and it will still be worked for by believers not being paid to do Christian work.
Last edited by brent on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x