Time to hang it up?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Time to hang it up?

Post by Shell » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Singers are bound to have issues with their voices sometimes. They will have an off night occasionally, and there will be concerts that are better and/or have less technical or whatever issues than others. And as Rex pointed out, there will be editing or enhancing when working with audio. A DVD recording is only part of the picture; for any issues with the DVD, there were probably lots of other concerts where everything went smoothly.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Shell wrote:Singers are bound to have issues with their voices sometimes. They will have an off night occasionally, and there will be concerts that are better and/or have less technical or whatever issues than others. And as Rex pointed out, there will be editing or enhancing when working with audio. A DVD recording is only part of the picture; for any issues with the DVD, there were probably lots of other concerts where everything went smoothly.

And just the same a vocalist can have a night where he needs some help, which Greg got at some shows, and something that for some reason John doesn't do. I admire the latter for that and I believe most fans would agree that they would want the real voice mistakes and all over something that is not real and played through the system. BTW I'm not saying Greg did this a high percentage of the time or through a whole song or concert but this process was used some on the Classic Petra BTTR Tour when needed.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:21 pm

I could say something about Frankie Valli and some of the issues he's had with his voice at this point but since I usually complain if someone goes off topic and don't want to get banned for mentioning somewhat less than ideal music I won't... :mrgreen:

Some of it can depend on who might be doing the DVD work too; the band/artist may not have a lot of control as far as the editing process, or if they do, it's probably limited.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Shell wrote:I could say something about Frankie Valli and some of the issues he's had with his voice at this point but since I usually complain if someone goes off topic and don't want to get banned for mentioning somewhat less than ideal music I won't... :mrgreen:

Some of it can depend on who might be doing the DVD work too; the band/artist may not have a lot of control as far as the editing process, or if they do, it's probably limited.
Frankie Valli's problem is the artificial restoration of his hearing because of otosclerosis and you know it.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Hahaha, are we going off topic? 8) I actually like the Four Seasons. I hope I'm not banned for that. :mrgreen: I was aware he had issues with his hearing.
Last edited by Shell on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 pm

rossdaboss wrote:Guys, I don't post here much at all (I used to back in the day), I'm just a lurker really... But something's on my heart and I'm going to spill it.

Isn't it time for Petra (each and every era) to hang it up and call it a day once and for all?

Now look, they are my fave band of all time, and their music, along with many other band's music, has deeply impacted my life. So don't get me wrong, I'm not a petra hater. I'm just a concerned fan. There's a few factors: one is the fact that there simply isn't much interest anymore. It's a fact. Christian rock is pretty much dead and it doesn't seem like anyone cares for yet another petra reunion with just two recognizable Petra faces (I love Greg, don't get me wrong).

But, sadly that leads me to my real point. Petra =John and Bob. Bob can still stand there and shread the same old songs ( and same ol solo) just fine, but guys... John has completely lost it. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. A studio can help him sound okay, but live?.. It's bad. I just watched some video from the MN show and it was awful, this didn't sound like petra! I know John is an amazing man of God and Greater Cause was a killer record.. But seeing him front Petra lately is rough. He could barely finish "he came he saw"...

Again, I'm their biggest fan!! But with a 63 year old front man who just doesn't have the range and endurance anymore to perform a legendary Petra set, it's almost embarrassing to see them try to come back again. I know I'll be tarred and feathered for this, but I'm just trying to be real. Unless a new group of musicians with a passion for Christ, and a passion for Petra's decades old catalog wants to take over... It is time for our heros to hang it up...
Can I have a link to the video you watched Ross?
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 pm

trodLAN wrote:
You're actually lying. Check things more carefully before you speak next time.
I have a lot of evidence against your statements.

What if I said you have complete lost your driving skills?
Oh great analogy, that really sets things straight. :roll:
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Daniel wrote:
rossdaboss wrote:Guys, I don't post here much at all (I used to back in the day), I'm just a lurker really... But something's on my heart and I'm going to spill it.

Isn't it time for Petra (each and every era) to hang it up and call it a day once and for all?

Now look, they are my fave band of all time, and their music, along with many other band's music, has deeply impacted my life. So don't get me wrong, I'm not a petra hater. I'm just a concerned fan. There's a few factors: one is the fact that there simply isn't much interest anymore. It's a fact. Christian rock is pretty much dead and it doesn't seem like anyone cares for yet another petra reunion with just two recognizable Petra faces (I love Greg, don't get me wrong).

But, sadly that leads me to my real point. Petra =John and Bob. Bob can still stand there and shread the same old songs ( and same ol solo) just fine, but guys... John has completely lost it. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. A studio can help him sound okay, but live?.. It's bad. I just watched some video from the MN show and it was awful, this didn't sound like petra! I know John is an amazing man of God and Greater Cause was a killer record.. But seeing him front Petra lately is rough. He could barely finish "he came he saw"...

Again, I'm their biggest fan!! But with a 63 year old front man who just doesn't have the range and endurance anymore to perform a legendary Petra set, it's almost embarrassing to see them try to come back again. I know I'll be tarred and feathered for this, but I'm just trying to be real. Unless a new group of musicians with a passion for Christ, and a passion for Petra's decades old catalog wants to take over... It is time for our heros to hang it up...
Can I have a link to the video you watched Ross?

I would also like to see this video you talk of; I've been looking all over the net for it but it has yet to show up.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:59 pm

http://youtu.be/mRSW1SoWXHU

I did find this; He sounded pretty good, and if this is the video Ross is talking about then I think he is making a mountain out of flat land in Florida.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm

trodLAN wrote: What if I said you have complete lost your driving skills?
Good one.

I will not be one of those guys that blindly denies anyone their opinion because "THIS is the MIGHTY PETRA which GAAAAAWWWWD hath orDAINED!" Poo on that.

It is unfair to these guys for us to worship them (which we should not do) and to not allow them to be what they really are, and not what we perceived them to be while they were in their performance prime and we were so vulnerable, impressionable and hungry.

As people age, they lose control of their vocals, ranges shrink and timbre changes. I don't fault John for it. I think if you compare John to other guys in his class year, he is probably at the top of the class. He can out sing Vince Neal in his sleep. He can out sing Joe Elliot. Sure, he is going to forget lyrics and miss notes. He is a freakin grandpa in his 60s. Heck. He could be my dad. Well, I gotta tell you, he certainly looks and sounds a WHOOOOOOOLE lot cooler than any dad I know. He sounds better than many of the "singers" in legacy bands. Heck. Look at Arnel of Journey. Poor guy is my age and has shot his pipes in his 40s. He can't do a complete show without having vocal issues and was in for surgery.

If Petra's songs suck, then yes. They should hang it up. Personally, I think Bob has it in him. I just can't get excited about seeing them live and a small church. That is like me plugging in a Les Paul to a Line6 modeling amp and playing distorted guitars on 2. THAT AINT ROCK AND ROLL BABY. I want to experience it in great quantity...shock and awe my brothas. That's what will get me out.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:11 pm

i just watched the clip. John sounds like he has allergy, drainage, or been up all night and up too early vocals. It's not a permanent thing.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:57 pm

brent wrote:
trodLAN wrote: What if I said you have complete lost your driving skills?
Good one.

I will not be one of those guys that blindly denies anyone their opinion because "THIS is the MIGHTY PETRA which GAAAAAWWWWD hath orDAINED!" Poo on that.

It is unfair to these guys for us to worship them (which we should not do) and to not allow them to be what they really are, and not what we perceived them to be while they were in their performance prime and we were so vulnerable, impressionable and hungry.

As people age, they lose control of their vocals, ranges shrink and timbre changes. I don't fault John for it. I think if you compare John to other guys in his class year, he is probably at the top of the class. He can out sing Vince Neal in his sleep. He can out sing Joe Elliot. Sure, he is going to forget lyrics and miss notes. He is a freakin grandpa in his 60s. Heck. He could be my dad. Well, I gotta tell you, he certainly looks and sounds a WHOOOOOOOLE lot cooler than any dad I know. He sounds better than many of the "singers" in legacy bands. Heck. Look at Arnel of Journey. Poor guy is my age and has shot his pipes in his 40s. He can't do a complete show without having vocal issues and was in for surgery.

If Petra's songs suck, then yes. They should hang it up. Personally, I think Bob has it in him. I just can't get excited about seeing them live and a small church. That is like me plugging in a Les Paul to a Line6 modeling amp and playing distorted guitars on 2. THAT AINT ROCK AND ROLL BABY. I want to experience it in great quantity...shock and awe my brothas. That's what will get me out.

Agree with your points here and like you said John or Greg runs circles around any of the singers you mentioned above. I would add Mick Jagger, Sir Paul, Steven Tyler, and Jon Bon Jovi to the list as singers that have lost their vocals.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:04 pm

brent wrote:i just watched the clip. John sounds like he has allergy, drainage, or been up all night and up too early vocals. It's not a permanent thing.
I was just talking to a promoter friend of mine and he watched the same video and came to the same conclusion as you did, and also added that the festival type venue is the worse venue to judge an artist for quality; he said even the high dollar acts that have all the state of art equipment will no be at their best in the festival setting, plus most of them have it in their performance contracts that they will not do festivals and open air settings if audio/video will be recorded.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:05 pm

OOOOOOH maaaaaAAAAAAAANNNNN. Bon Jovi! John has lost it. He sings using some weird techniques now. It is a nasal/head voice. Richie Sambora is a better singer.
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:48 pm

brent wrote:OOOOOOH maaaaaAAAAAAAANNNNN. Bon Jovi! John has lost it. He sings using some weird techniques now. It is a nasal/head voice. Richie Sambora is a better singer.
From what I've read, Jon Bon Jovi blew out his voice on the Slippery When Wet world tour that seemed to last forever. After recovering, he visited a voice coach who taught him to sing the way he does now...it's supposed to reduce strain on the vocal cords. But yeah, I agree...he sounds really weird now.

Paul Stanley of KISS, Don Dokken, Stephen Pearcy of Ratt, Vince Neil of Motley Crue, Stephen Stills of CSN&Y...these are just a few well known singers that have "lost it". You want horrendous? Look at any Youtube videos of Meatloaf in concert within the last few years...yeeesh! :shock: A friend of mine saw Dokken in concert last year, and he said "Don sounded more like Tom Waits than Don Dokken". :lol: Even recent performances by Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney have people talking that maybe they should "call it a day".

So John Schlitt has lost a bit on his high range? Give the guy a break...like many have already mentioned, he's in his 60s and a grandfather! I could count on one hand the number of hard rock singers that sounded good in their 60s. Besides John, Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and Ronnie James Dio (R.I.P.) come to mind.

So I guess my two cents is that John should not "hang it up". I'll be buying his Christmas album, and hopefully Petra has an Iowa concert date in the future. 8)
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"