Time to hang it up?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rossdaboss
Pethead
Pethead

Time to hang it up?

Post by rossdaboss » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:41 am

Guys, I don't post here much at all (I used to back in the day), I'm just a lurker really... But something's on my heart and I'm going to spill it.

Isn't it time for Petra (each and every era) to hang it up and call it a day once and for all?

Now look, they are my fave band of all time, and their music, along with many other band's music, has deeply impacted my life. So don't get me wrong, I'm not a petra hater. I'm just a concerned fan. There's a few factors: one is the fact that there simply isn't much interest anymore. It's a fact. Christian rock is pretty much dead and it doesn't seem like anyone cares for yet another petra reunion with just two recognizable Petra faces (I love Greg, don't get me wrong).

But, sadly that leads me to my real point. Petra =John and Bob. Bob can still stand there and shread the same old songs ( and same ol solo) just fine, but guys... John has completely lost it. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. A studio can help him sound okay, but live?.. It's bad. I just watched some video from the MN show and it was awful, this didn't sound like petra! I know John is an amazing man of God and Greater Cause was a killer record.. But seeing him front Petra lately is rough. He could barely finish "he came he saw"...

Again, I'm their biggest fan!! But with a 63 year old front man who just doesn't have the range and endurance anymore to perform a legendary Petra set, it's almost embarrassing to see them try to come back again. I know I'll be tarred and feathered for this, but I'm just trying to be real. Unless a new group of musicians with a passion for Christ, and a passion for Petra's decades old catalog wants to take over... It is time for our heros to hang it up...
0 x
O.T.I.S. (Our Time Is Short) is coming soon! Prepare for battle, the Lord is on our side!

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Re: Time to hang it up?

Post by zman7720000 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:13 am

Agreed!
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:23 am

Disagree!!!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:00 pm

John has completely lost it.
You're actually lying. Check things more carefully before you speak next time.
I have a lot of evidence against your statements.

What if I said you have complete lost your driving skills?
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Ever since the end of the Farewell tour, I feel like John has had trouble hitting the high notes live occasionally. Unfortunately the recent He Came, He Saw video was one example. But I don't think you can draw these conclusions based on just this one song. If the whole set would've been like this, then you might have a point, but we just don't know. I think they're still strong enough to keep going, but I do see your point.
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:09 pm

I have many hours of video bootleg recordings from April when John was in Norway this year.
He still can hit most of the high notes, but he can also miss many of them. It helps if he had had practised a lot.
He did a really good gig in Eiken, but struggled a bit the second night. The third night he was much better again.
It's incredible how strong his voice still is. And I like his voice better now than 20 years ago - to be honest!
My personal taste! The last two concert I posted in complete form was from Kvinesdal, Norway and Mariager, Denmark.
Listen to these shows, they prove John still has it! http://www.johnwschlitt.com/fans/video4.htm
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:28 pm

No they should not hang it up. Remember when they tried that eight years ago? There is still more music to be had in the group known as Petra.
0 x

notunderground
Pethead
Pethead

Post by notunderground » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:31 pm

John Schlitt Trio: Lovely Lord - Live from Eiken, Norway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Q5y5XX9DY
"John has completely lost it."
Not necessarily! Anybody can have an off day as human experience will testify. Maybe John wasn't feeling well so when you saw him and he didn't fulfill the expectations that you've become accustomed to, you assumed the worst that he "completely lost it" and you are "quick" to throw him under the bus! Why don't you give him a chance instead of assuming the negative?!? John is just a human being! You need to pray for him! Stop your criticisms! Some of you "Petra fans" eat your own! Stop jumping to conclusions before you know all the facts! You need to give him the benefit of the doubt!
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Guys, it is just someone's opinion; don't get rattled over it. I don't think he is deliberately trying to be critical. He makes it pretty clear Petra means a lot to him. I don't agree with him on everything, but I think he's given some thought to what he's saying, and there may be people who feel the same way (although I'm not one of them).
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:46 pm

notunderground wrote:John Schlitt Trio: Lovely Lord - Live from Eiken, Norway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Q5y5XX9DY
"John has completely lost it."
Not necessarily! Anybody can have an off day as human experience will testify. Maybe John wasn't feeling well so when you saw him and he didn't fulfill the expectations that you've become accustomed to, you assumed the worst that he "completely lost it" and you are "quick" to throw him under the bus! Why don't you give him a chance instead of assuming the negative?!? John is just a human being! You need to pray for him! Stop your criticisms! Some of you "Petra fans" eat your own! Stop jumping to conclusions before you know all the facts! You need to give him the benefit of the doubt!

Sounds like he still has it too me; that voice gives me chills!!!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:48 pm

trodLAN wrote:I have many hours of video bootleg recordings from April when John was in Norway this year.
He still can hit most of the high notes, but he can also miss many of them. It helps if he had had practised a lot.
He did a really good gig in Eiken, but struggled a bit the second night. The third night he was much better again.
It's incredible how strong his voice still is. And I like his voice better now than 20 years ago - to be honest!
My personal taste! The last two concert I posted in complete form was from Kvinesdal, Norway and Mariager, Denmark.
Listen to these shows, they prove John still has it! http://www.johnwschlitt.com/fans/video4.htm

You and me are on the same wave length because I love his voice more today than I ever have.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:44 pm

He can still sing but he was better 20 years ago, now you wanna hear someone that can't sing anymore check out Paul Stanley of Kiss.
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:15 pm

petraman wrote:He can still sing but he was better 20 years ago, now you wanna hear someone that can't sing anymore check out Paul Stanley of Kiss.
That would apply to ANY Kiss member. :lol:
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Shell wrote:
petraman wrote:He can still sing but he was better 20 years ago, now you wanna hear someone that can't sing anymore check out Paul Stanley of Kiss.
That would apply to ANY Kiss member. :lol:
KISS never had anything IMO!!!
0 x

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:48 am

rexreed wrote:No they should not hang it up. Remember when they tried that eight years ago? There is still more music to be had in the group known as Petra.
How can you say that when they have been doing the JAH tour for the past eight year???
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God