GXV recent solo performance w/Louie

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Re: GXV recent solo performance w/Louie

Post by Shell » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 pm

The Petra Farewell concert with John and Greg singing together (I think that is the DVD where that happened, it's been awhile) :mrgreen: was awesome. 8)
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 pm

No, John and Greg together would not be good. Let it be. You don't see Greg and Bob shows for a reason.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:59 am

brent wrote:No, John and Greg together would not be good. Let it be. You don't see Greg and Bob shows for a reason.

You think most around here would have figured that out by now.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:11 am

What do you mean Brent?

One thing that crossed my mind one day, was that I thought their distinct voice tones did not gel well together in harmony, by what I saw on the Farewell DVD. As opposed to a Lennon and McCartney or a Michael Anthony and Sammy Haggar kind of harmony, that actually sound pretty good, and have set a standard for rock band harmonies. Is that what you meant, or did you mean also chaos between Bob and Greg?, or Greg and John?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:11 am

All I am saying is, don't you think if Bob wanted to include Greg that they would have? I am not going deeper than that. All of the behind the scenes stuff aside, there is a mental cost of doing business, writing music and performing with people, good and bad. Greg brings a modus operandi, salesmanship and musical style unique to him. Greg has consistently produced music, operated and presented himself in a form and function that is not where Bob or Petra is. Since John has never had a gap in his relationship with Bob (music, business, etc) then John has always been Bob's mouthpiece NOW. Greg is a scrappy survivor and he always on the move. Bob is kind of the methodic, steady type (from what I have been told).

No part of my post was intended to be a slam. It takes all types of people in this world.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:08 am

brent wrote:All I am saying is, don't you think if Bob wanted to include Greg that they would have? I am not going deeper than that. All of the behind the scenes stuff aside, there is a mental cost of doing business, writing music and performing with people, good and bad. Greg brings a modus operandi, salesmanship and musical style unique to him. Greg has consistently produced music, operated and presented himself in a form and function that is not where Bob or Petra is. Since John has never had a gap in his relationship with Bob (music, business, etc) then John has always been Bob's mouthpiece NOW. Greg is a scrappy survivor and he always on the move. Bob is kind of the methodic, steady type (from what I have been told).

No part of my post was intended to be a slam. It takes all types of people in this world.

Yeah how horrible would this world be if everyone was the same? I think you hit it on the head with your comments; Greg & Bob are just totally different, neither is bad its just how they operate. I was watching an interview Bob & John did in 2007 when they were in Europe representing IIguys and you can see & feel the connection and chemistry between them; its truly authentic.
0 x

stsmedia
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power to Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by stsmedia » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:03 am

brent wrote:All I am saying is, don't you think if Bob wanted to include Greg that they would have? I am not going deeper than that. All of the behind the scenes stuff aside, there is a mental cost of doing business, writing music and performing with people, good and bad. Greg brings a modus operandi, salesmanship and musical style unique to him. Greg has consistently produced music, operated and presented himself in a form and function that is not where Bob or Petra is. Since John has never had a gap in his relationship with Bob (music, business, etc) then John has always been Bob's mouthpiece NOW. Greg is a scrappy survivor and he always on the move. Bob is kind of the methodic, steady type (from what I have been told).

Yeah, thanks for sharing that very honest assessment, Brent. I think that's one of the most realistic and authentic overviews of the guys I've ever heard. Refreshing.

There's an interesting angle in there somewhere about how people in bands that maybe don't gel well when their respective personalities are together are often the combinations that produce some of the more creative (for lack of a better term) music. Roger Waters / David Gilmour spring to mind. Pink Floyd, imho, produced better music (lyrics and content all aside) when they were together than without Waters. Sometimes the most "comfortable" relationships don't always produce the most challenging music.

Now I'm not suggesting this is true for Petra necessarily, as I don't know their internal relationships that well. But it makes me wonder a bit at the dichotomy of the band over the years.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:39 am

stsmedia wrote:

Yeah, thanks for sharing that very honest assessment, Brent. I think that's one of the most realistic and authentic overviews of the guys I've ever heard. Refreshing.

There's an interesting angle in there somewhere about how people in bands that maybe don't gel well when their respective personalities are together are often the combinations that produce some of the more creative (for lack of a better term) music. Roger Waters / David Gilmour spring to mind. Pink Floyd, imho, produced better music (lyrics and content all aside) when they were together than without Waters. Sometimes the most "comfortable" relationships don't always produce the most challenging music.

Now I'm not suggesting this is true for Petra necessarily, as I don't know their internal relationships that well. But it makes me wonder a bit at the dichotomy of the band over the years.
Sometimes that's the case but I think the body of work post 1985 with Petra has so much more depth with lyrical content and also the music style. I always felt the 81-85 era of the band sounded a lot like Boston & Foreigner did 5 years prior, and I've always felt like most of Petra's albums production wise was lacking except for a few albums. I think the Rez Band albums from the mid 80's-90's was always far superior production wise.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:42 am

I love Petra, but, imho they never in their career have they matched the production of Boston. Is there another production quality debate around the corner? :lol:
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:56 am

rexreed wrote:I love Petra, but, imho they never in their career have they matched the production of Boston. Is there another production quality debate around the corner? :lol:
I don't know if this was a response to my post, but my comment about Boston was not intended to mean the production quality side of things, but the style of music Petra did from 81-85 was what Boston, Foreigner, & others were doing in the mid to late 70's; it just always reminded me of what the others had already done and was in their past.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Oops
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by Jonathan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 am

0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:36 pm

Shell wrote:The dress is rather short, but I've seen a lot worse.
Stryper: Live In Japan comes to mind.

As one of my friends put it, "Michael Sweet's pants were so tight, you could tell his religion." :shock:
0 x