New Song

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Re: New Song

Post by mikey32187 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 pm

I am probably going to get blasted for this but I for one dont want another album with a Jekyll and Hyde sound, I want something with a Beyond Belief or On Fire sound. I know musical styles change but I am not digging the overly crutchy JAH sound that Bob has decided to stick with since 03/04. He did the same with Classic Petra.

silently runs away before someone bites his head off
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Amen Mikey! only move the guitar higher in the mix, lower the drum.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 pm

This is just a theory of mine. The new song may be aimed at the p&w fan that is too uninformed to know just how many songs Petra has that they would like. Perhaps the song will be heard on the radio or sung at church. The p&w fan may decide to buy a greatest hits compilation after they realize how much they like Petra.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:44 pm

Bob writes what Bob writes and claims not to write for radio or specific people.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:20 am

mikey32187 wrote:I am probably going to get blasted for this but I for one dont want another album with a Jekyll and Hyde sound, I want something with a Beyond Belief or On Fire sound. I know musical styles change but I am not digging the overly crutchy JAH sound that Bob has decided to stick with since 03/04. He did the same with Classic Petra.

silently runs away before someone bites his head off

Not that the JAH sounds dated but the late 80's sound sounds really dated; plus I figured the keys are in the background if there at all. I will say I think Bob feels he has unfinished business with the JAH type of sound.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:21 am

brent wrote:Bob writes what Bob writes and claims not to write for radio or specific people.

True!
0 x

r_karlsson22
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire
Pethead since: 1996

Post by r_karlsson22 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:59 am

I like it! It's a nice Petra praise song, and I always like Petra's worship music!

But I hope that soon they are recording new songs that sounds more like Jekyll & Hyde.
0 x
https://twitter.com/RickardWidgren
http://AboutRickard.com
Instagram: rickardwidgren

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:18 am

brent wrote:I have to come back from the laying low for this:

Where did anyone in the band say the download was going to be free? That is silly. The idea is to make money, not lose money.
In the youtube video where II guys from Petra performed it, they said they were going to give it away for free. Yup. (If I for some reason didn't misunderstand what they said completely, but I don't think so).

Why is free silly? If your main purpose is to lift the name of Jesus high, to spread his gospel, to follow him. Don't you think Jesus wants us to give gifts?. Give a gift out of love... Jesus' gift was a great deal bigger than recording one song though. Silly indeed if you think like the world.

(That a free song could be great as a marketing thing is probably just a coincidence :mrgreen: )
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Capital Records or whoever it is couldn't give a crap about Jesus. That's why I was surprised. If they have the money to throw at a free song, fine. Let 'em. You can't pay the bills like that. Churches do what they do for Jesus, but they have bills to pay. Jesus had bills to pay too. They collected money and had someone to manage it for a reason.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:45 pm

It's catchy tune, John sounds great singing it live. As a fan I don't know what to make of it, Petra is always full of surprises!
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:55 pm

brent wrote:Capital Records or whoever it is couldn't give a crap about Jesus. That's why I was surprised. If they have the money to throw at a free song, fine. Let 'em. You can't pay the bills like that. Churches do what they do for Jesus, but they have bills to pay. Jesus had bills to pay too. They collected money and had someone to manage it for a reason.
and your point is what? Bob said the song was going to be given away. Capitol has a new compilation coming out. no one said they were Jesus happy.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:50 am

I am glad people get a freebee, especially if they are broke. That is Bob's deal.

My point is that I was surprised that Capital would allow a new song they are selling to be given away for free. That is not normal. It is not good marketing in my opinion. If they are giving away the one and only new song on the compilation album, what incentive is there for people to buy what is already out there and what they already own?

Someone else tied loving Jesus to free music. Loving Jesus has nothing with to do with free music. Saying that because Bob loves Jesus and therefor is giving the music away implies Bob just started loving Jesus recently.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:32 am

Think about this: When Petra started in the 70's, there was no way of making pro sounding recordings at home and there was no way of distributing music for free. Now there is. If Petra started out today, young and filled with the Holy Spirit, wanting to reach as many as possible, maybe they would have tried making free music. Who knows.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:16 am

Nope. There are no people doing it for free reaching masses. U2, Bon Jovi, etc reach masses. The major festivals reach masses. Those are quantifiable people. The hits and downloads are not quantifiable people.

There are some people getting 15 minutes of fame and a bunch of hits. 40 year old legacies are not built for free. Bob almost have up because he was having to pay for it all and could not sell. Ask Bryan Duncan about SCBs bounced checks and starving on the road. The reason why people giveusic away is because it has no value to a society living with an entitlement mentality. There is not sustanancr in free.

In the 70's, there were people with professional home studios, but you are right they were not as numerous as there are now. there are more people making crap now and the market is flooded with it. There needs to be a fitting in the market.just because people can buy some gear and make some music does not mean they should.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:01 am

Be it free or not I'm willing to pay the $1/$1.29 for it. I
I understand both points of view and maybe Bob just wants to give it away, just to give it away. Go and watch Bob's talk during the Pethead Convention his whole "sermon" was about giving it back...
0 x