Petra 40th Annviersary Legacy Bundle

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Re: Petra 40th Annviersary Legacy Bundle

Post by p-freak » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:55 pm

If Dean is out of the picture, who is now handling social media for Petra?

And what happened to the Jekyll & Hyde vinyl? Dean announced it on Petra's facebook, but I never heard of anyone having seen or bought it. Did it actually got released? And if it didn't, are they still planning to? If this was Dean's idea and he's not working for them anymore, did anyone in the band take ownership of this release or did it fall through the cracks?
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:57 pm

p-freak wrote:If Dean is out of the picture, who is now handling social media for Petra?

And what happened to the Jekyll & Hyde vinyl? Dean announced it on Petra's facebook, but I never heard of anyone having seen or bought it. Did it actually got released? And if it didn't, are they still planning to? If this was Dean's idea and he's not working for them anymore, did anyone in the band take ownership of this release or did it fall through the cracks?
That J&H Vinyl would have looked nice in the collection.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:24 pm

We could start a Kickstarter project to release all of Petra's library on vinyl.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:43 pm

J&H on vinyl never came to pass... it was Dean's idea. I don't remember the reason it wasn't made. No one went any further with it....
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:18 am

who is now handling social media for Petra
some guys waiting for that old formula to work.....I guess.....?
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by musicwithharry » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:07 am

sue d. wrote:Just to clarify, there wasn't a 'management team' or 'company'.... dpulse and Ovrtone was pretty much Dean Capone; he basically took the reins and came on board when Bob decided to re-group Petra in 2013.

MusicwithHarry: This CD is a legitimate CD authorized by Bob; Dean did not 'steal' the music or duplicate the CDs.
http://www.newreleasetuesday.com/albumd ... m_id=12964

The CDs are/were for sale, and still available. Here's one place: http://www.petrastore.net/petra-40th-an ... ry-cd.html
The white legacy tshirts were being sold at the MN show last Fall. They existed as well; I saw them myself.

What happened with the Bundle? Good question. It was advertised by Dean on Petra's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Petraband/post ... 2388548577 but it was linked to http://dpulse.wazala.com, which I always thought was rather odd, but then again... who knows what deal was worked out - or not worked out.

So naturally people would think and believe that this was a legitimate thing, which it WAS, at least at some point... I do believe SOME people did get their product (or there would have been many, many more complaints).

At this point, sad to day, Harry, there's really nothing to sort out... you won't be receiving anything; no bundle, no refund.
Wow...that is a little harsh. I was not implying that this release was not authorized. I was saying that based on what I've read here that maybe there was a problem. I used the Whiteheart example because being done on a record company level.

I am glad that it was authorized. As a musician, I would not want my music packaged for sale and/or distributed without authorization.
If it all comes together and such, I would likely order the bundle too, because I am a big fan of Petra. I have been since 1983.

Grace,
Harry
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 pm

sue d. wrote:Just to clarify, there wasn't a 'management team' or 'company'.... dpulse and Ovrtone was pretty much Dean Capone; he basically took the reins and came on board when Bob decided to re-group Petra in 2013.

MusicwithHarry: This CD is a legitimate CD authorized by Bob; Dean did not 'steal' the music or duplicate the CDs.
http://www.newreleasetuesday.com/albumd ... m_id=12964

The CDs are/were for sale, and still available. Here's one place: http://www.petrastore.net/petra-40th-an ... ry-cd.html
The white legacy tshirts were being sold at the MN show last Fall. They existed as well; I saw them myself.

What happened with the Bundle? Good question. It was advertised by Dean on Petra's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Petraband/post ... 2388548577 but it was linked to http://dpulse.wazala.com, which I always thought was rather odd, but then again... who knows what deal was worked out - or not worked out.

So naturally people would think and believe that this was a legitimate thing, which it WAS, at least at some point... I do believe SOME people did get their product (or there would have been many, many more complaints).

At this point, sad to day, Harry, there's really nothing to sort out... you won't be receiving anything; no bundle, no refund.

I'm sure some of this post was directed towards my comments so let me clarify my statement.

DPluse is not really a company but a one man show ran by DCapone and the management team I was talking about was the Michael & Yvonne team that was brought in by Greg in the beginning for Classic Petra. While the management team of Yvonne & Michael had no dealings with the current Petra(rightfully so) they and Dean Capone all had commitments with Classic Petra via Greg X Volz. Dpluse(Dean Capone) was the one sending out the downloads for BTTR Live which I bought and paid for but never received and this is the same person that set up this t-shirt package for the current Petra.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:09 pm

Michael and Yvonne were the management team for Classic Petra. They were somehow involved with Petra in the mid 80s. When they were released Dean initially just took over as social media person. His label previously released Greg's latest solo release in 2009, so i'm sure that got him the job. Now he seems to have parted ways with them and I am not sure where this soap opera leaves Petra. Too many people not really getting anything done...

If they want to get something done, they should Kickstart JAH 2 and just start releasing new music. Too many expectations have been created and nothing really happened. I am sure bob and John can create some killer music. Why not start releasing some bootlegs in a bootleg series? I know Bob is critical but I am sure he has lots of high quality material available on CD and DVD.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Again, enough with dealing with people who are barely or rarely successful in the music biz. Holy cow. Get legit or be stuck in the pit.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 pm

They have disgraced our favorite band.

I reckon if you took all the guys from the zone, you would have what Petra needs in management... people that actually believe in the band and what can be done in the realm realism.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Daniel wrote:They have disgraced our favorite band.

I reckon if you took all the guys from the zone, you would have what Petra needs in management... people that actually believe in the band and what can be done in the realm realism.

So true! That's how Sue got the gig to manage John. Common sense and a heart for what the artist is doing is the key this is why Sue is successful in what she does. If your looking at getting money out of it than you are in the wrong place.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:12 pm

p-freak wrote:Michael and Yvonne were the management team for Classic Petra. They were somehow involved with Petra in the mid 80s. When they were released Dean initially just took over as social media person. His label previously released Greg's latest solo release in 2009, so i'm sure that got him the job. Now he seems to have parted ways with them and I am not sure where this soap opera leaves Petra. Too many people not really getting anything done...

If they want to get something done, they should Kickstart JAH 2 and just start releasing new music. Too many expectations have been created and nothing really happened. I am sure bob and John can create some killer music. Why not start releasing some bootlegs in a bootleg series? I know Bob is critical but I am sure he has lots of high quality material available on CD and DVD.
I agree on most what you said especially concerning the Kickstarter part; Dean Capone goes way back with Greg also with doing some gigs around the Dallas area back in late 90's maybe early 2000 era, and is also the one to set up and organize the gig that Greg did with his daughters(with some controversy). My understanding is the he is somewhat trying to help Greg form a band of some sort that would also include Louie Weaver. There is a point to all this but I'm not willing to get into on a public forum, but IMO the writing is on the wall with the type of business practices and ethics this person holds and member of Petra would be wise to keep some distance from him.

BTW I think John is ready to go the Kickstarter route with it, but I'm hearing Bob isn't really keen on the idea for some odd reason.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:27 pm

Hopefull Bob will come around. So many bands have done Kickstarter. Guardian did their new album that way. Carman got six figures for his album. Surely Petra could get enough.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Yep, hopefully so. John S. and John E. are proof that it works well for the right musicians.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:29 pm

executioner wrote:
Daniel wrote:They have disgraced our favorite band.

So true! That's how Sue got the gig to manage John. Common sense and a heart for what the artist is doing is the key this is why Sue is successful in what she does. If your looking at getting money out of it than you are in the wrong place.
There is no reason why someone can't be compensated for their work. That is biblical. The problem with previous handlers was they did not want to do the work and make the investment required. They expected Petra to be a money cow, and expected the money to flow in. When it didn't, the dumb people wanted to tell the band what to do. If the labels knew so much, they could create their own music. But, they can't. When those people at the labels cease to be the golden children with the golden deals, they are out. Labels cycle through people like Robert Sweet goes through eye liner.

I think it is too late in the game to try anything now with Petra. They are too old to break out as new artists. John and Bob are grandpas for crying out loud. They made the music they liked for the generations who liked it. They tried crossing time lines, but that had mixed results. Yes, the Gospel knows no bounds, but music we pay for does. I think their money-spending audience is limited to those who were fans previously and might rediscover them, and those who have stuck with them through the years. That's my take.

People can quote all of these big numbers from festivals and what not. Festivals are great for exposure. But, those attendees were there already for shows before and after. If Petra set up shop in a big field and went at it alone, do you think thousands of people would show up? Probably not. Are those new people exposed to Petra at those big events actually showing their approval in the form of dollars? Is Petra selling thousands of discs at the shows? How about hundreds? I am sure Petra is a draw. How much is the question.

I think Kickstart is a good way to go for them. They should get some really great producer who has made huge sounding rock records. Get them over to a real studio like Blackbird, where they have every freakin amp, mic, pre, comp/limiter, drum, and killer mixing consoles known to mankind. Get Tom and Chris Lord Alge, Jack Joseph Puig and a couple of new young guys to mix some. Get out of the personal Nashville based studio mentality and live it a little with people who have a clue about great sounding music.
0 x