Petra 40th Annviersary Legacy Bundle

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: Petra 40th Annviersary Legacy Bundle

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Your right Brent, they have missed the mark and wasted time. It is too late in most respects. I like many of us as die hard Petheads don't ever want to admit that it is over. It is far easy for us to get behind a solo career like John's that is working. I know I have said it a thousand times, but the Dream Team would be the last chance to get everyone back for a good tour, but we know that isn't going to happen and even that is probably too late if it could happen.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:52 pm

Someone is handling their social media, because I see stuff on my FB wall every day. Festivals might get their name out there, and some people might click on the link to learn more about them. However, unless they are put in a sandwich slot between a big act and the headliner, most of the people who turn out to see them at a festival are going to be die hard fans, along with some musician geeks who have heard they they are must see. If they are on in the afternoon, or the opening slot for the evening, the large crowd has yet to assemble.
I think it would be great if someone could put together some shows with a bunch of the older acts on the same bill. Whiteheart is getting new music together, and Steve Taylor is about to release new album and do some touring. I'm sure there are others that you could get. I'd pay to see a festival that was all classic Christian rock.
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by musicwithharry » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 pm

I like what Brent said. Maybe it is too late. I do not think that they would be effectively marketed in this day. They would not have the relevance they once had and their managers would try the nostalgia thing all over again. Isn't that what Classic Petra was?

There is no shame in retiring for good knowing they fought the good fight and are truly pioneers of the genre.

Of course, there are many bands that have semi-elderly members anyway and they are rocking on too.

I would think that in this day and age they could just write and release music and if Kickstarter can help offset the funds, I'd for that too. There are many fans that would contribute. Maybe they just would not tour too much. That is not a problem either. Just release good music that still proclaims Christ and do it with their best.

Of course, with my earlier statement of relevancy, does it really matter? They are working for a bigger cause and being relevant in the world does not really mean all that much as everything we do should be for God anyway.

Grace,
Harry
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Wow...that is a little harsh. I was not implying that this release was not authorized.
Sorry... didn't mean to sound harsh. Just going thru the comments one by one.

Exe, I thought your comments on 'management team' was referring to dPulse as part of the Petra with John... my misunderstanding.

I agree - many that have been a part of Petra have been seeing them as a cash cow. When the cow runs out of milk - they bail. But there have been some who were in it for the love of the band.... Dean had TOLD me he was one of those. I thought he was... We had many talks and conversations. He really had a lot of people snowed, I guess.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:09 pm

Or, he had more love and sales ability than know-how.
0 x