Poll: Washes Whiter Than (1979)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What's your favorite song from Washes Whiter Than (1979)

I'm Thankful
4%
Why Should the Father Bother
32%
Morning Star
11%
Magic Mirror
11%
Mary's Song
7%
Yahweh Love
11%
(Couldn't Find Love) Without You
4%
Taste and See
18%
Magic Words
No votes
Deep Love
4%

Total votes: 28

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Poll: Washes Whiter Than (1979)

Post by Thief » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:45 am

I will add Petra's third album to the mix...

Didja know... band member Rob Frazier, who only appeared in this Petra album, was also in charge of songwriting and singing several songs, as well as most of the instrumentation along with Bob Hartman?
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Poll: Washes Whiter Than (1979)

Post by Thief » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:46 am

Solid album. Not one of my favorites, but I still like it. I voted for "Magic Mirror".
0 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Thief wrote:Solid album. Not one of my favorites, but I still like it. I voted for "Magic Mirror".
Bottom 5 album for me. Listen to it rarely(well more than Double Take).

Production is far from timeless and sounds rushed. But having listened to other albums from that era, just seemed to have been the style that was popular.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:25 pm

cvs2kids wrote:
Thief wrote:Solid album. Not one of my favorites, but I still like it. I voted for "Magic Mirror".
Bottom 5 album for me. Listen to it rarely(well more than Double Take).

Production is far from timeless and sounds rushed. But having listened to other albums from that era, just seemed to have been the style that was popular.
I more or less agree. It would probably be Bottom 5 for me as well. Not necessarily because it's bad, but only because the rest of their stuff is so good and this one pales, despite being an overall decent album.
0 x

stateofminduk
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Washes Whiter Than
Pethead since: 1982

Post by stateofminduk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:28 am

I'll go against the grain and freely admit that I really like this album. It's certainly different to most of their other releases, but I actually like that it's a bit more laid back. Morning Star, Yahweh Love, Magic Words & Deep Love especially are all excellent songs. Also, Couldn't Find Love (Without You) is definitely in my personal Petra Top 10 - it's a beautiful song and the melodic guitar solo is excellent.

It's such a shame that Washes Whiter Than hasn't been given a proper, complete release on CD...the 2 songs that were left off the 2for1 CD were among the best on the album IMHO.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Tue May 13, 2014 9:54 pm

I really like this album, too. It has a catchy 70s sound that I like (admittedly partially because everyone else hates it), and also has very solid words on most of the songs. "I'm Thankful" and "Magic Mirror" are my favorites, though "Why Should The Father Bother?" is a real classic too. It's funny to note that for a long time I thought Volz sang the whole album, and I was reluctant to admit that the short-term Frazier actually wrote and sang the songs, too.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed May 14, 2014 7:34 am

fiendik wrote:I really like this album, too. It has a catchy 70s sound that I like (admittedly partially because everyone else hates it), and also has very solid words on most of the songs. "I'm Thankful" and "Magic Mirror" are my favorites, though "Why Should The Father Bother?" is a real classic too. It's funny to note that for a long time I thought Volz sang the whole album, and I was reluctant to admit that the short-term Frazier actually wrote and sang the songs, too.

Fiendik,

Thanks for joining the Petra Zone especially at such a young age; its refreshing to see someone your age that likes 80's genre of music. Are there other artists you also like? Enjoy your time here.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm

Well, as for other artists, I take most any Christian music from before 1992 :) I like Newsboys, Steve Camp and Steven Curtis Chapman, though Petra is definitely my favorite. I also like some of the Volz solo albums, although his music quality seemed to degrade quickly.
I've actually never met anyone who could even tolerate listening to the same types of music as me... especially not all that creepy 80s stuff. They usually either like modern pop (usually secular) or some kind of country music...
I was afraid when I first found this site that it would be completely dead, since Petra disbanded about ten years ago. I actually heard my first Petra song ("Fool's Gold") in 2012, but I wasn't allowed to put that in "pethead since".
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Wed May 14, 2014 6:52 pm

I have to say that, ever since making this pool, I've been listening to this album quite a bit and "(Couldn't Find Love) Without You" has easily become one of my favorite Petra songs. Such a beautiful song with such great vocals.
0 x

Ron
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1982

Post by Ron » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Why Should the Father Bother? :)
0 x