Poll: Not of this World (1983)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What's your favorite song from Not of this World (1983)

Not of this World" – 4:49
11%
Bema Seat
18%
Grave Robber
37%
Blinded Eyes
5%
Not by Sight
5%
Lift Him Up
No votes
Pied Piper
8%
Occupy
5%
Godpleaser
11%

Total votes: 38

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Poll: Not of this World (1983)

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:49 pm

executioner wrote:
Thief wrote:I have a question to those that are more familiar with the early albums. I was reading some old interviews and found out that Louie Weaver didn't record the drums in this album. Apparently, JDB brought back Keith Edwards, who had previously recorded the drums for Never Say Die, to do this one as well. Is that how it went? It's weird that, unlike other cases, Edwards isn't even listed or credited among the "Additional Musicians" in the album.

Also, on the website "A Guide to Petra", the page for this album lists a Mike Brignardello as playing bass. Did Mark Kelly play the bass in the album or was this album another case similar to Beat the System where both he and Louie were replaced with session musicians?

Not sure about Mark Kelly not playing on NOTW, but I know Louie only played on one Petra album produced by JDB and that was CITAS. Louie really played a small part in most of the Petra recordings over the years.
But in the interview I read with JDB he said that Louie did play on More Power to Ya.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Thief wrote:
executioner wrote:
Thief wrote:I have a question to those that are more familiar with the early albums. I was reading some old interviews and found out that Louie Weaver didn't record the drums in this album. Apparently, JDB brought back Keith Edwards, who had previously recorded the drums for Never Say Die, to do this one as well. Is that how it went? It's weird that, unlike other cases, Edwards isn't even listed or credited among the "Additional Musicians" in the album.

Also, on the website "A Guide to Petra", the page for this album lists a Mike Brignardello as playing bass. Did Mark Kelly play the bass in the album or was this album another case similar to Beat the System where both he and Louie were replaced with session musicians?

Not sure about Mark Kelly not playing on NOTW, but I know Louie only played on one Petra album produced by JDB and that was CITAS. Louie really played a small part in most of the Petra recordings over the years.
But in the interview I read with JDB he said that Louie did play on More Power to Ya.
I would like to see or read that interview; because its been known for awhile that JDB used session drummers for the albums.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:57 am

executioner wrote:
Thief wrote:
executioner wrote:

I would like to see or read that interview; because its been known for awhile that JDB used session drummers for the albums.
http://www.guidetopetra.com/JDB/jdbpetra.htm

In the 12th question, which is about Beat the System, JDB expands a bit on his relationship with Louie. He says:

"Louie joined the group right after we made Die. He learned all of Keith's parts well, and added his own touch. I was excited to then have a self-contained band for the next one, More Power to Ya. We went to Uvalde, Texas and made perhaps the most fun record I've ever made ... Louie did GREAT, especially under the kind of pressure I was accustomed to doling out to those who could not play in time. Somewhere in there, though, we had a few tense moments which set the stage for me having to ask him during a subsequent rehearsal to sit out for Not of This World, when I hired Keith to come back."
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:32 pm

Probably the best GXV era record of all time imo. Their is not a bad song on the album. I had to vote for Grave Robber as my favorite as I want this song played at my funeral!
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by musicwithharry » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:14 pm

I like this album too. It seemed like a more polished version of MPTY. MPTY is my fav Petra album of all but this one works too.
It does seem like a Part II of sorts but with more refinement in each song. That was likely because of the better recording facilities and such that more $$ brings and they had a great tour with MPTY and stuff. Their albums were selling and this could have made the $$ more available for recording, not to mention the additional support from the record company as well.

I do not seem it as heavy as far as raw sound goes, but it is a heavier album when it rocked. I loved Pied Piper and really every song on it. I loved the Doxology at the end too and when I had my Christian band up north in Iowa (moved to TX last year), I did a form of the Doxology because of the original idea from NOTW.

Bema Seat is a great song. They are all great songs. This was big music for me in 1983. Something that praised God that had rock and lots of quality to it.

You know, after reading the polls and having all these albums, I was listening to them today as I traveled back and forth to/from work (where I have a nursing home ministry and I play for the residents of the homes) and it was really cool to hear the progression. I got to This Means War! today before arriving home.

I really like the Greg Volz era because that is when I started listning to them. I remember back to the early 80's and how this music was so ahead of its time and blasted by the church. There really was a battle going on with this music and I remember leaning on Petra and Whiteheart's music to get me through the tough stuff in life. I would blast them from my boombox and just love the music and the message. I remember using NOTW at a church retreat and how it fit perfect with what we were doing on the retreat. Many of the adults had not heard of them so it was neat to watch their reaction too.

Grace,
Harry
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:58 am

musicwithharry wrote: You know, after reading the polls and having all these albums, I was listening to them today as I traveled back and forth to/from work (where I have a nursing home ministry and I play for the residents of the homes) and it was really cool to hear the progression. I got to This Means War! today before arriving home.
LOL, you know, part of what got me into this forum was that for some reason, I've been on an unexplainable urge to listen to Petra endlessly since December I guess. I mean, I've been a fan since 1990, but during the last years, that "craving" had subsided and other than some random listens here and there, I wasn't really listening to them that much. But for some reason, I don't remember why, I've been wanting to listen more and more since last year. I pretty much have all their CD's in my car and have been switching back and forth between all of them during the last months, from Petra to Farewell. One of the "greatest" things about that is that their discography is so diverse, and there is so many people involved, that listening to them in 1979, or 1988, or 2003, is pretty much like listening to a different band.
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead

Post by musicwithharry » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:18 am

Thief wrote:
musicwithharry wrote: You know, after reading the polls and having all these albums, I was listening to them today as I traveled back and forth to/from work (where I have a nursing home ministry and I play for the residents of the homes) and it was really cool to hear the progression. I got to This Means War! today before arriving home.
LOL, you know, part of what got me into this forum was that for some reason, I've been on an unexplainable urge to listen to Petra endlessly since December I guess. I mean, I've been a fan since 1990, but during the last years, that "craving" had subsided and other than some random listens here and there, I wasn't really listening to them that much. But for some reason, I don't remember why, I've been wanting to listen more and more since last year. I pretty much have all their CD's in my car and have been switching back and forth between all of them during the last months, from Petra to Farewell. One of the "greatest" things about that is that their discography is so diverse, and there is so many people involved, that listening to them in 1979, or 1988, or 2003, is pretty much like listening to a different band.

I agree. Another cool thing is when you really read into the band, the ministry aspect never really changed throughout their entire discography. Sure, maybe the lyrics have gotten more mature and such and do not simply rhyme as much as the beginning but their heart for ministry has always been there. I was not impressed with the late 90's early 2000's stuff until J&H came out and then they were done. It seemed too forced. Even No Doubt seemed forced in places for me.

I guess that I feel that it s okay to go out as the elder statesmen and pioneers of Christian rock and praise God for the chance to witness to so many people as they did. Sometimes the comeback albums and such do not work. I was really excited about the Classic Petra stuff until I really heard it and realize that it was just rehashed stuff that really did not do much for me. I felt it was a compromise of sorts. I feel that way about the Double Take album too.

Back when NOTW and this era of music, there was a real war going on, and not just on the spiritual front against Satan. They were fighting the Christian establishment as well and showing the God can bless any kind of music for His glory. I guess that I can sense this in the music; it is much more bold :)

Grace,
Harry
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead

Post by musicwithharry » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Here is another thing about Petra and their relevancy today. Maybe they will not released any more album stuff and maybe truly retire. Their music, which came from God, lives on and always will.

I am sitting here doing homework for my BA in Ministry, and am listening to Not of This World (not the album but the song, as I am listening to the Petrafied collection :) ).

The more I think of the crap going on today and how we are totally on the wrong track and really need Christ (the global 'we', of course). As I hear churches allowing for same-sex stuff and how 'cool' it is for people to come out and express their orientation as a lifestyle choice and so many other things.... take a listen to the words to Not of This World.

We are strangers, we are aliens, we are not of this world...Jesus told us men would hate us...

They seem so fitting right now and when I listened to that album when it came, I had no idea it would be so prophetic....

Grace,
Harry
0 x

Ron
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1982

Post by Ron » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Not of This World runs second for me and would be amazing in it's own right, but Graverobber is the no-brainer from this album. Simply epic...
0 x

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:01 am

[quote="... on the website "A Guide to Petra", the page for this album lists a Mike Brignardello as playing bass.[/quote]

How about that? I never knew that "Brigs" played on a Petra album.
I did a lot of Nashville sessions with him from 83 to 88.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:27 am

So Mark did not play Bass on NOTW John?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:49 am

jmslick wrote:[quote="... on the website "A Guide to Petra", the page for this album lists a Mike Brignardello as playing bass.
How about that? I never knew that "Brigs" played on a Petra album.
I did a lot of Nashville sessions with him from 83 to 88.[/quote]

In the thank you's of the album it says:
'Keith Edwards, drums'
and later on
'Mike "One Day Wonder" Brignardello'.

It looks like MJ (who owns guidetopetra.com) interpreted this as Mike contributing bass on the album. The album credits give no strong reason to assume that that's the reason for his name in the credits. And if it's news to you, I can't imagine he actually did play bass.
0 x

jmslick
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:53 pm

fcollazo wrote:So Mark did not play Bass on NOTW John?
Mark played all bass on NSD, MPTY, NOTW.
0 x