Poll: On Fire! (1988)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What's your favorite song from On Fire! (1988)

All Fired Up
9%
Hit You Where You Live
24%
Mine Field
29%
First Love
No votes
Defector
3%
Counsel Of The Holy
12%
Somebody's Gonna Praise His Name
12%
Open Book
3%
Stand In The Gap
6%
Homeless Few
3%

Total votes: 34

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Poll: On Fire! (1988)

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:40 am

FIIIIIIIIIIREEEE!

Didja know... CCM Magazine called the first two tracks "the most exciting eight minutes of rock Petra has ever put to tape."
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Poll: On Fire! (1988)

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:43 am

Another great album. Probably on my Top 5. Love how it continues, and builds on, the themes from the previous album.

This is another one where I would probably have a hard time choosing a favorite. I love the first three songs, "Defector", and "Somebody's Gonna Praise His Name"... but "Counsel of the Holy" and "Stand In The Gap" are great too.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:59 am

That scream at the beginning of "Mine Field" does it for me; This song NEVER gets old and John's vocals throughout the song are awesome and sound like AC/DC. This album still lacks the great ballads of the past, but the rockers are some of the best Petra has ever done.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:09 am

executioner wrote:That scream at the beginning of "Mine Field" does it for me; This song NEVER gets old and John's vocals throughout the song are awesome and sound like AC/DC. This album still lacks the great ballads of the past, but the rockers are some of the best Petra has ever done.
100% in agreement.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by mkepethead » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Hit You Where You Live is one of Petra's best songs ever.
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:29 pm

mkepethead wrote:Hit You Where You Live is one of Petra's best songs ever.
What then does that say about All Fired Up, which is infinitely better. :lol:
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:08 am

gman wrote:
mkepethead wrote:Hit You Where You Live is one of Petra's best songs ever.
What then does that say about All Fired Up, which is infinitely better. :lol:
I liked All Fired Up, but doesn't it sound like a take off from one of the Alvin & the Chimpmunks songs?
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:00 am

What's a chimpmunk? Some variety of monkey rodent? All Fired Up and Hit You Where You Live are great, but Counsel of the Holy earned my vote because I do not like the cd transition between track one and two. Splitting hairs ? yeah but I was only able to vote for one. I'm a little surprised how popular minefield is, i skip that track 95% of the time.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:33 pm

I've been listening to the album during the last day and I've narrowed it down to three: "Hit You Where You Live", "Defector", and "Somebody's Gonna Praise His Name". Coin-toss time.

*tosses coin*

"Somebody's Gonna Praise His Name" it is. I really love that song, particularly the break near the end "Lord, I lift my voice to you, I magnify your name. You are Alfa and Omega... "
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Another one that's hard to pick just one. I voted for Mine Field, but I like some others just as much: All Fired Up, Counsel of the Holy, First Love. In fact, the only one I'm not real thrilled about is Somebody's Gonna..... I don't remember Stand in the Gap, but I love all the other ones.
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

executioner wrote:That scream at the beginning of "Mine Field" does it for me; This song NEVER gets old and John's vocals throughout the song are awesome and sound like AC/DC.
YES!!! Some of my mis-heard Petra lyrics: "Stab the burning brother, there's danger in the air!" Yeah, that sounds pretty dangerous. :lol:
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by musicwithharry » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:57 pm

I remember my excitement when this album arrived when I was a teen. It was a "this is what I'm talkin about" moment. finally, I had some heavy Petra that would keep me from going to Bloodgood and Stryper and such for the heavy stuff. Not that it was a problem, but I always like Petra when they did their heavier stuff. They really could rock.

Mine Field was a great song too. So heavy for them....
Then there was Defector.....how cool was that opening riff?

I liked most of the album, save for First Love and Somebody's Gonna Praise His Name. They did not work on me.

To me, the surprise on the album was Homeless Few. What a cool song with a great message. It hit at home and would continue to do so today. So many churches are so into sending money overseas to save people that they forget there are people right in their congregation that need the help too. If we took care of those at home as much as we send the monies overseas, everyone would be better off.

I thought the production was good too. Lots of good rock moments here.

I wondered how they could ever get heavier and I do not think that they really did until J&H.

Grace,
Harry
0 x

Ron
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1982

Post by Ron » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:55 pm

"Hit You Where You Live" is my favorite from this album. This to me is when Petra went full bore heavy metal with a sound to me that mostly resembled something like Def Leppard. But I loved Def Leppard so the new hard-hitting sound made me an easy convert. It was here and at this time that I finally embraced the new sound and accepted Schlitt and put Greg Volz and the past behind me.
0 x