Poll: Beyond Belief (1990)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What's your favorite song from Beyond Belief

Armed and Dangerous
6%
I am on the Rock
10%
Creed
26%
Beyond Belief
35%
Love
No votes
Underground
10%
Seen and Not Heard
3%
Last Daze
3%
What's in a Name
3%
Prayer
3%

Total votes: 31

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Poll: Beyond Belief (1990)

Post by Thief » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:52 am

musicwithharry wrote:My only real complaint is about the recording process on this one. Is it just me or does the second side (Underground through the rest of the album) seem a little dull sounding than the first songs? They are brighter and the second part sounds like they turned the treble down a bit. It was that way on my cassette version, and my CD version.

Another great album from our favorite band :)

Grace,
Harry
I don't know much about recording, but I do agree that there is a very slight "decline" as far as quality goes from first half to second half (I Am on the Rock, Creed, Beyond Belief, Love... vs. Underground, What's in a Name, Last Daze) but that's probably more because of the first half being so kick-snot than any faults on the second half. Either way, I still think the album, overall, is great. I'm just not that crazy about some of those last songs as I was when I was 18.
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by musicwithharry » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:12 am

Thief wrote:
musicwithharry wrote:My only real complaint is about the recording process on this one. Is it just me or does the second side (Underground through the rest of the album) seem a little dull sounding than the first songs? They are brighter and the second part sounds like they turned the treble down a bit. It was that way on my cassette version, and my CD version.

Another great album from our favorite band :)

Grace,
Harry
I don't know much about recording, but I do agree that there is a very slight "decline" as far as quality goes from first half to second half (I Am on the Rock, Creed, Beyond Belief, Love... vs. Underground, What's in a Name, Last Daze) but that's probably more because of the first half being so kick-snot than any faults on the second half. Either way, I still think the album, overall, is great. I'm just not that crazy about some of those last songs as I was when I was 18.
I was 20 when that album came out myself :) I liked pretty much the whole thing except for the slower songs.
I am a musician as well (keyboards for 38 years now) and I am also a recording engineer. I always tried to find the technical data on the albums because I love reading the techy junk :)

Grace,
Harry
0 x

Ron
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1982

Post by Ron » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 pm

FINALLY! I couldn't believe it, but the Schlitt era Petra finally hit the mother lode with this record. With Beyond Belief, Bob Hartman proved he could still write top shelf chart smashing songs and John Schlitt proved he could produce a magic all of his own. This album sealed the deal for me and was a major coup against the doubters that swore the band could never re-capture the success of the 1980s. They dropped the hair-metal sound and found a new and fresh rock sound the propelled them to the success that everyone recognizes today.

My favorite song from this album is the title track "Beyond Belief" but "Creed" holds a very close second...
0 x