Poll: Beyond Belief (1990)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What's your favorite song from Beyond Belief

Armed and Dangerous
6%
I am on the Rock
10%
Creed
26%
Beyond Belief
35%
Love
No votes
Underground
10%
Seen and Not Heard
3%
Last Daze
3%
What's in a Name
3%
Prayer
3%

Total votes: 31

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Poll: Beyond Belief (1990)

Post by Thief » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Now to what's probably Petra's most popular album...

Didja know... Beyond Belief is the band's most successful album, earning Petra their first Grammy as well as peaking at #1 on Christian charts, and being certified Gold by RIAA.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Poll: Beyond Belief (1990)

Post by brent » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:46 pm

While the single Beyond Belief was their biggest single, the album could have very well not been the biggest selling album because they did not pay to have the previous album sales tracked and nobody knows how many albums have been sold, nor did anyone at the label pay for Petra to be nominated for a Grammy.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:41 pm

I didn't even hesitate on this one. It may sound cliche, but "Creed" is my all-time favorite song. Plus Beyond Belief is the album that really got me into the band back in the day.

For the most time, I would say this is probably my #1 album, but t o be honest, nowadays I don't revisit this one as much as I do others (maybe because I wore it down years ago :lol: ). Although in recent years, I've leaned more towards the Volz' albums, I put this one on my car during the last few days and there's no way one can't enjoy it.

Maybe some of the songs in the second half of the album don't move me as much as they did, but there really isn't a bad or weak song in this album. Moreover, I would probably put 5 of the album songs on my list of favorites (I Am on the Rock, Creed, Beyond Belief, Love, and Prayer).
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:37 am

This is a hard one with most everyone else having the same issue. I voted for Beyond Belief, but also have so many favorites like Creed, I Am On The Rock, Underground, Seen & Not Heard, & Last Daze could on any given day be #1. Petra already had the fan base before this album, but what this album did was give them the respect from the nonsayers like parents and the secular world. I will say I am not a fan of the live version of the song though; I think the album version is by far and away better.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by mkepethead » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:50 am

Seen & Not Heard
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:31 pm

This was a tough one, but I went with Beyond Belief, as I think it is the best song on the album. I agree that the studio version is far better than what they've done with it live. The Creed album version is also really good, and I Am On the Rock has always been a favorite. However, beyond those three, I'd much rather listen to Unseen Power. For whatever reason, that album does it for me much more than this one.
0 x

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Post by PiedPiper » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Creed is my favorite. I agree with prefering to hear Creed and BB on the CD vs. live. IAOTR was the most memorable live song for me. I remember them turning on the house lights for "I am on the Rock" during the song. Very cool for me at my first concert (Unseen Power tour).
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

GS.
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 2004

Post by GS. » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:05 pm

I also love beyond belief. I have a slight preference to the original but love both versions and I can see why they do the newer live version with the direction music took.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Where is the big Seen and Not Heard ripped off KISS debate? :)
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:19 pm

GS. wrote:I also love beyond belief. I have a slight preference to the original but love both versions and I can see why they do the newer live version with the direction music took.
I'm curious. What changes did they do to "Beyond Belief" live? The only live version I've heard is the one that's on Farewell. I did see Petra live in 2001 or 2002 (Revival tour) but I really don't remember how they played that one.
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:41 pm

brent wrote:Where is the big Seen and Not Heard ripped off KISS debate? :)
You got it! First thought in my head when I heard the riff: "Whoah, Heaven's on Fire."
0 x

GS.
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 2004

Post by GS. » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:46 pm

0 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:23 am

Thief wrote:I'm curious. What changes did they do to "Beyond Belief" live? The only live version I've heard is the one that's on Farewell. I did see Petra live in 2001 or 2002 (Revival tour) but I really don't remember how they played that one.
Not sure when they changed it to the new live version, but they kept the melody but definitely upped the tempo. I went to the Double Take tour and I think they took that off the set list, so I am thinking pre-1996? I was lucky and saw the BB tour in the day, and that live version was almost a perfect rendition from the album. The early version started off quieter and built up as opposed to the current version which starts with a bang.

I actually like both, with maybe a nod to the version from BB. I feel that song still has a timeless quality to it, even today.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 am

You can watch the old style here, they did at Night of Joy 2002 at Disney World, about 30 minutes into this video. This is my favorite version:

0 x
May the downforce be with you!

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by musicwithharry » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:26 pm

It seems that many are in agreement that this is their pinnacle release and certainly the most popular in the public eye too. This one put them on the map.

I am not too fond of the slower songs on here but love the rockers. This was not the heaviest (I reserve this for On Fire and J&H), but it was great. Lots of guitar, lots of keys and soaring vocals. It had the makings of a great album and it delivered.

My only real complaint is about the recording process on this one. Is it just me or does the second side (Underground through the rest of the album) seem a little dull sounding than the first songs? They are brighter and the second part sounds like they turned the treble down a bit. It was that way on my cassette version, and my CD version.

Another great album from our favorite band :)

Grace,
Harry
0 x