Double Take: Music vs Lyrics

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Double Take: Music vs Lyrics

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 pm

I know that most opinions on Double Take are fairly negative. Most of this revolves around the fact that in many respects they "butchered the classics". So I present this question:

If Double Take contained original song lyrics set to the music instead of the classic lyrics, would it change your opinion of the album?
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Re: Double Take: Music vs Lyrics

Post by sickasadog » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:30 am

No, it would not change my opinion one bit.

My complete issue is with the music and how little melody is left in the Double Take version of the classics. Of course, this was a sign of the times, but I either need a strong melody or it has to evoke some sort of feeling in me that I want to revisit.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:02 am

I guess I was hoping for this discussion to come up whenever I started the poll for Double Take, but now is as good a time as any.

I think I'm a bit more lenient towards the album than most people. Sure, it is easily on my bottom tier of Petra albums, probably the very bottom... but I can still listen to it from time to time. That said, the music - regardless of the lyrics - isn't the best. It's too bland-ish and over-produced. But well, like I said in the No Doubt poll thread, the 90's were a tough time for a lot of classic rock bands. Petra, like many other secular and Christian bands that fell during that time, just didn't know how to weather the storm. If anything, we should feel happy that they came through one way or the other, and went out with a bang.

As it is, I consider Double Take a noble effort as far as its intentions go, but a misguided one nonetheless.

And, for what it's worth, I consider "Breathe In" to be one of the best Petra songs out there. I love it.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:08 pm

It's not convincing as a Petra album. At least the old classics make it a Petra album, but the music would be sub-par for a regular album. There are some standouts, like Dance and Praying Man. But Breathe In to me actually is one of the worst songs that Petra has ever recorded. It's over-produced, messy, lyrics that don't really mesh together and a mismatch between the vocals and the musical style. Pete is capable of much more. All the material on his solo record is much better than this song.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:10 pm

BriGuyPEI wrote:I know that most opinions on Double Take are fairly negative. Most of this revolves around the fact that in many respects they "butchered the classics". So I present this question:

If Double Take contained original song lyrics set to the music instead of the classic lyrics, would it change your opinion of the album?
Well, the problem is that the music isn't completely new. They have kept a bit of the original, kind of twisted the original. In some cases more than others. If the music was completely new but with old lyrics, I would probably have liked the album better.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:07 pm

It was a bad idea for them to make it, for me to buy it and listen to it. Hate that record on the basis of what it is and how crappy the melodies were. The original songs were memorable in good ways, the Double Trouble versions were not.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Of all the songs on dt I have come to like JUST REACH OUT.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:11 pm

The only thing that is worth anything on DT is Praying Man which in my mind a much better version than the original; the rest of the album is worthless.
1 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:45 pm

Petra should have mangled Amy Grant songs. It would have been great to hear John croon "Father's Eyes". Bwuhahahaha
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 am

I've only heard of few of the songs done live. I have no problem with the concept. It seems that most are in agreement that they failed to execute it well. I though Bon Jovi did this concept well. They weren't going to tour it because there was a lot more going on in the songs than the band could reproduce, but they ended up assembling a supporting musical cast and doing some dates in Atlantic City. The Live DVD that came out of it was also really good. Maybe I just really like Bon Jovi, but I'd like to think that I would have recognized a dud had it been one.
0 x

Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1993

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:43 am

I think having different lyrics would have made a little difference, but not much.
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Tue May 13, 2014 9:43 pm

If they had written new songs, then you would get a second God Fixation. That's about it; I don't think it was a very good idea for an album, especially as most of the songs were originally sung by Schlitt. I could at least understand if they were mostly Volz's songs... I might even like it! But as it is? It's about the only Petra album I never want to listen to, though perhaps Petra Praise 2 would also fall into that category. DT just has a creepy sound... The makers of it didn't seem to be quite themselves anymore.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Fri May 16, 2014 6:44 am

I think "Double Take" is a fantastic album and one of Petra's most ambitious and musically complex studio projects.

It's worth pointing out that the album won a Grammy, so it's not as terrible as some fans seem to think.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Fri May 16, 2014 2:32 pm

I don't want to hurt the band's feelings but it was the nail in the coffin for the band. There was never a chance for a full recovery after that album. People had gotten God Fixation before that, which was a disaster, but at least it had a couple of songs worth listening to and at least folks probably could give the new guys kind of a mulligan. However, DT was a complete disaster. It made the guys look like they had no idea what a good song/melody sounded like any more and the songs sounded very forced and the melodies monotonic and I heard that repeated by the djs on the radio who I heard comment about it. I liked Beat the System, Praying Man, Dance, This Means War, and Just Reach Out if I had to pick my favorites but even then, I'd much rather listen to the originals. The band needed a "Jekyll and Hyde" album in the worst way for them to have a chance to stay relevant and DT was done instead. A Grammy is totally bogus if you lose fans and even the hardcore ones didn't even like it and you wind up losing your label because of it. It hurts me to read my own writing on this. It's like talking about when you witnessed your first pet get hit by a car or something. It's traumatizing. It would make me feel better now if I could just move on from it. It's like a band-aid, you just rip it off.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Fri May 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Word had been treating them like crap for years before "Double Take", so you can't blame that album for losing their label. The album probably would have been fine with some good or even decent promotion, but I happened to attend the GMA that year, and Word's press packet was a slim folder with a one-page band bio and a scathing review of "Double Take" that somebody had apparently pulled off the internet. So Petra had a lot of forces working against them during that time.

I won't say it's their best album, but I would certainly rank it as severely underrated.
0 x