Happy Birthday, John Schlitt

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Happy Birthday, John Schlitt

Post by Jonathan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:16 pm

What can I really say? Thanks for everything you've done in the name of Jesus with the talents God has given to you. You are an inspiration.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Happy Birthday, John Schlitt

Post by executioner » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks for all you've done for God, He has used you in a mighty way.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:15 pm

He will never read this, but I'll just say that I probably admire Schlitt more than any other artist, Christian or secular. Every time I hear his testimony, I am amazed by it and even get teary-eyed. To sink so low, and yet be lifted so high, it's something worthy of praise. To see him now with 64 years old, his children all grown up, and think that he was on the verge of losing all that to drug addiction and alcoholism. And yet see how God literally wiped all of that away, and gave him a second chance, and rewarded him with such a prosperous life. It's admirable, less because of him and more because of the power of God. Compare that with the recent tragic death of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who unfortunately was unable to fight his addiction, and not only denied the world of his incredible talent, but more importantly, denied his children of a father. So, as sad and tragic as PSH death is, it's admirable to see that someone like Schlitt was able to fight through that with the help of God, and do so much more afterwards, for his family and for the world.

True story, Schlitt came to my country in the mid-90's, shortly after the release of Shake, and I remember thinking "well, maybe he'll bring a few guys to play with him". But I was surprised to see it was just him on the stage, with a microphone, and a small portable CD-player plugged to the sound system that he controlled for each track. And yet, despite such a simple display of logistics, he literally filled that stage. As cliché as it might sound, there's no other word for it. I mean, such humbleness from him, no pretensions, no ego. After the concert, he greeted fans, signed albums and posters, and took pictures. But most importantly, I approached him when everybody was leaving and asked him to pray for me. Not because he was a "big star", or the singer of my favorite band, but because I was really moved by his performance, his testimony, and his words that night, and I was at a point in my teenage life (I was probably 18-19 years at the time) when I needed that. He gave me a wonderful prayer, again, full of humility, without pretensions, and I'll always be grateful for that.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:07 pm

He'll read it because I'll send it to him.

What country are you in?
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Puerto Rico
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by musicwithharry » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Happy Birthday, Mr. Schlitt :)

Thank you for your ministry in and out of Petra :) May God continue to bless your work for Him :)

If you are ever in the Dallas area, I love to jam with ya :)

Grace,
Harry
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Sue, Puerto Rico is not a country. It is a Commonwealth of the USA, acquired as bounty of war in the Hispanic-American war from Spain. We are all USA citizens by birth. We have the same monetary system, court system, dual language and army since 1898.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:24 pm

I also saw him in Puerto Rico on the Shake tour in the City of Carolina, but he had a band of local musicians, some who i knew personally, and they played the record note by note. He only used tapes for the Petra songs on the set. I have seen him live about 10 times since 1995, and as always, a very humble man with a heart full of God.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Since 1898 Puerto Rico has been a Commonwealth... I never knew it went back that far. Interesting...
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:20 pm

fcollazo is right. But regardless of the actual situation, I still consider ourselves to be a country :D

That said, I don't remember Schlitt coming after Shake. If I had known, I would've gone to that one too. I do know that Petra came in 1996 or 1997 (I think it was for the PP2 tour), and then again in 2001 or 2002 (for the Revival Tour). I couldn't go to the first one, but enjoyed the latter one a lot, which was also in the city of Carolina. This was when Bryce Bell and Quinton Gibson were with the band.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:26 am

The first Petra concert in Puerto Rico was in 1988, during the This Means War tour. There is bootleg out there from that show made by Trodlan from a casette tape I gave him years ago. Some people in the Zone might have it. Trodlan did a great job with pictures of the band and Puerto Rico.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:44 am

So that would make 3 visits from the band to the island? and 2 from Schlitt solo? And how did I manage to see just one from each? :(
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:09 am

fcollazo wrote:The first Petra concert in Puerto Rico was in 1988, during the This Means War tour. There is bootleg out there from that show made by Trodlan from a casette tape I gave him years ago. Some people in the Zone might have it. Trodlan did a great job with pictures of the band and Puerto Rico.
Wow, I've never heard that one. It even had Back to the Street and You are I am on it. Wish it were still available for download ...

http://www.petrafiles.com/petraspective ... petra.html
0 x
May the downforce be with you!