Classic Petra Gone?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Re: Classic Petra Gone?

Post by musicwithharry » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:06 pm

gman wrote:Liaison! Now you're singing my tune. Their stuff runs circles around so much of CCM. Incredible writing. I was in a band way back that did exactly what you want to do, minus the secular stuff. We had a couple Liaison tunes in the set. A few Whiteheart and Petra songs, a couple from Michael W., two from Amy off of Heart in Motion, Russ Taff's Wind of Change, a bunch of Maggie B and Rachel Rachel, a lot of early Newsboys from when they were more of a rock band. There are probably others I'm leaving out. We did some Mylon & Broken Heart. They were good songs, but I never cared much for the Mylon sound. We had some JAG songs in there as well. Great stuff. We considered many a D&K song, but sadly they never made the cut. I always wanted to do Let's Get Upset. Though it wasn't there heaviest work, I really liked the stuff on Go To the Top. I watched the VHS countless times.
I pretty much learned to play drum set in that band. We often made our own gigs. Sponsoring roller skating nights or putting on outdoor events. Our bass player was our band leader. He was older and well off, and found it enjoyable to acquire gear on the used market and build a large, quality sound system. At one point he had one of the big Ampeg cabinets for himself he found it used, could afford it, and didn't mind hauling it around.
Our early PA system was mounted in this tall wooden rack he built himself. We'd load all the speakers in the back of the guitar player's pick up, and slide the rack into the back of the bass players old Toyota wagon. Good times!
If you can pull it off, go for it!
I will say for me personally, learning the drum parts for the songs, and also hammering out chord charts and bringing songs to the table was invaluable training for me.
I didn't know a lick of music theory when I got to college, but I could play piano to a degree, I knew chrods, and I had developed my ear pretty well.
Very cool. Yeah, I like Liaison and such as well. Those guys could really play and had a great sound and message in their music. We sure need that type of stuff now...

What I did with the secular music, when I could was rewrite some of the lyrics or do songs that spoke of an issue or something and used it. I have taken a few songs from Journey (another favorite of mine) and simply changed a few words and boom! I had a Christian song. The same with America. They had a few as well, that when you change a couple of words - boom! you got a Christian song.

I would prefer to play Christian music only but I have a hard time finding music like Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica in a Christian representation. I really like these bands because of their technical abilities and such. In fact, the words seem to be more of an afterthought because the music is so good. They are monsters on their instruments. The same with Dream Theater and such.

I've been praying for a very long time to just have a Christian Rock cover band. That's what I would like to play keys in. I've toured so many places with secular music...... I'm done with that now and just really want to concentrate on the Christian music. So much of it is great and it needs to be heard. I even have a set list in mind for the band...

Grace,
Harry
0 x

petrafied
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 2000

Post by petrafied » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi guys! It's been a while since I wrote anything! I'm a reader not a writer! But this topic intrigued me! I was thinking about petra and their plan moving forward. I have always seen petra as a band that stays current. Now, that is not appreciated in many moments, example (Double Take) I dont like this album a lot, but they tried to move forward. I think for a 40th anniversary tour they should play multiple songs from the past, but they are a band that has always continued on! What are the newsboys doing? They totally changed their music and yet they go back to the old stuff in the concerts for a short time. The point is, petra needs to do what they do best! They need to write new music that is current and includes great guitar, great vocals, and great harmonies! I believe that they NEED a keyboardist!!!! You can not compete any longer if you have a guitar and drums! Just like they cut the keyboards to stay current, they need to bring them back! I am currently in college, and concerts are the event of choice! All of my hall mates love audio adrenaline! What are they but an old band that has written current music. The newsboys and AA are loved! They are headlining, they are selling out stadiums! Petra could totally do this, they just need to write and include some new talent that people can say are true band members! A new guitarist for backup! A new keyboardist! A drummer that gets to play on an entire album! (I personally think it should be Christian, I have never seen him in person but the videos seem great!!!!) They also need to stick to more rock. Praise and worship is huge but its controlled by the chris tomlins, and matt mahers of the world. Petra is not dead, I know of guys that could care less if they the know the name of a band, if they sound good they will follow them!
0 x
"Though the winds may blow and though the floods may grow I shall not be moved, ‘cause I am on the Rock"

"But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ." Ephesians 2:13

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead

Post by musicwithharry » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 pm

petrafied wrote:Hi guys! It's been a while since I wrote anything! I'm a reader not a writer! But this topic intrigued me! I was thinking about petra and their plan moving forward. I have always seen petra as a band that stays current. Now, that is not appreciated in many moments, example (Double Take) I dont like this album a lot, but they tried to move forward. I think for a 40th anniversary tour they should play multiple songs from the past, but they are a band that has always continued on! What are the newsboys doing? They totally changed their music and yet they go back to the old stuff in the concerts for a short time. The point is, petra needs to do what they do best! They need to write new music that is current and includes great guitar, great vocals, and great harmonies! I believe that they NEED a keyboardist!!!! You can not compete any longer if you have a guitar and drums! Just like they cut the keyboards to stay current, they need to bring them back! I am currently in college, and concerts are the event of choice! All of my hall mates love audio adrenaline! What are they but an old band that has written current music. The newsboys and AA are loved! They are headlining, they are selling out stadiums! Petra could totally do this, they just need to write and include some new talent that people can say are true band members! A new guitarist for backup! A new keyboardist! A drummer that gets to play on an entire album! (I personally think it should be Christian, I have never seen him in person but the videos seem great!!!!) They also need to stick to more rock. Praise and worship is huge but its controlled by the chris tomlins, and matt mahers of the world. Petra is not dead, I know of guys that could care less if they the know the name of a band, if they sound good they will follow them!
Great post :)

Maybe they really don't want to do all that now. Maybe they've done what God has called them to do. I do not know. If so, then what are we left with? Well, the albums and the memories of course. I would think that this could bring up my point for the need for Christian Rock bands that do that type of music. Not to really cater to the "now" crowd, but to play the good Christian rock we grew up on....

I certainly hope that this is not becoming a dead horse I am beating..... We just have to form the band(s) and go out and play the music :)

Grace,
Harry
0 x

mpa
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra (or MPTY)
Pethead since: 1984

Post by mpa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 pm

I go back on forth on this subject. (Greetings all, btw. This is my first post on ThePetraZone.net)

On one hand, I still vividly remember the unexpected thrill of seeing Petra as a 17 year old kid who "believed", but who had really joined the Bible Club and went on the trip to see them play because he had a crush on a girl who was going. From the first moments of the show, though, they had me. These guys, all pro musicians, who met us right where we were with POWER on every level and honest-to-goodness skills, spoke to us in terms we could understand. They "got it" and I "got" them. I bought MPTY and NoTW on cassette the very next day and internalized the message such that it stayed with me long after the world had crept in and eroded that first youthful dalliance with adult faith.

I want kids of today to have that same chance to experience great music made with nothing but great intentions. To have artists that can boldly proclaim the Message while rocking to their very core, or sweetly singing about not belonging, or wailing with inadequacy at the thought of what had been sacrificed for our sake.

On the other hand, that was 30 years ago now, and Petra had already been doing it for 10 years when I was first exposed to them. I'm not saying they can't do what they did anymore. Watching vids of Classic Petra proves that, if anyone can, they still can pull it off. A little less smoke on the stage, a little less hair on the pates, and I doubt that anyone could get away today with the joke about gas canisters in the ceiling taking us all to meet our Maker at the end of the show, but Petra is still Petra.

For the first three decades they reinvented their music with the times, meeting several generations of young people where each cohort was, providing them with a solid Christian backdrop for their lives in the form of sophisticated and depth-full music and a timeless message. The loudest of my internal voices says that it was the ministry that mattered and that the music was just the vehicle, and that, as a ministry, Petra had run its course.

Let's never forget that, as part of that course Petra created Christian music as we know it and brought countless thousands to Christ. To that end, I love the idea that we just need to keep playing their songs in our own bands and churches and homes and to make sure that our own kids (and grandkids for those of you that have made it that far into life now) hear the stories of what Christian music was like before Petra came and rocked our socks off.
0 x
This is my .signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

My first and only live Petra show: Somewhere in SouthWestern PA, sometime in the fall of 1984.

Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead

Post by musicwithharry » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:38 am

mpa wrote:I go back on forth on this subject. (Greetings all, btw. This is my first post on ThePetraZone.net)

On one hand, I still vividly remember the unexpected thrill of seeing Petra as a 17 year old kid who "believed", but who had really joined the Bible Club and went on the trip to see them play because he had a crush on a girl who was going. From the first moments of the show, though, they had me. These guys, all pro musicians, who met us right where we were with POWER on every level and honest-to-goodness skills, spoke to us in terms we could understand. They "got it" and I "got" them. I bought MPTY and NoTW on cassette the very next day and internalized the message such that it stayed with me long after the world had crept in and eroded that first youthful dalliance with adult faith.

I want kids of today to have that same chance to experience great music made with nothing but great intentions. To have artists that can boldly proclaim the Message while rocking to their very core, or sweetly singing about not belonging, or wailing with inadequacy at the thought of what had been sacrificed for our sake.

On the other hand, that was 30 years ago now, and Petra had already been doing it for 10 years when I was first exposed to them. I'm not saying they can't do what they did anymore. Watching vids of Classic Petra proves that, if anyone can, they still can pull it off. A little less smoke on the stage, a little less hair on the pates, and I doubt that anyone could get away today with the joke about gas canisters in the ceiling taking us all to meet our Maker at the end of the show, but Petra is still Petra.

For the first three decades they reinvented their music with the times, meeting several generations of young people where each cohort was, providing them with a solid Christian backdrop for their lives in the form of sophisticated and depth-full music and a timeless message. The loudest of my internal voices says that it was the ministry that mattered and that the music was just the vehicle, and that, as a ministry, Petra had run its course.

Let's never forget that, as part of that course Petra created Christian music as we know it and brought countless thousands to Christ. To that end, I love the idea that we just need to keep playing their songs in our own bands and churches and homes and to make sure that our own kids (and grandkids for those of you that have made it that far into life now) hear the stories of what Christian music was like before Petra came and rocked our socks off.
Great post, my friend :) I saw Petra in 1985 in Houston when I was 15. It was a great time and I was blown away and it really showed me lots of stuff about playing keyboards in that type of setting. I have been a musician all of my life and went pro well over 25 years ago. The lessons I learned when seeing them live (and also Whiteheart, Michael W. Smith, Amy Grant and so many others) helped groom me to be who I am musically today.

If Petra does not continue, then it is up to us to play their music in the churches and our own bands. I totally agree with your post :)

Grace,
Harry
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:22 pm

I would be more inclined to travel to see a Petra cover band, if someone can play Bob's solos that he doesn't do anymore I am there. Finding a good rock singer like a young John S, Bon Scott, etc could be difficult.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Welcome! Glad to have you.

mpa wrote:I go back on forth on this subject. (Greetings all, btw. This is my first post on ThePetraZone.net)

0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead

Post by musicwithharry » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Daniel wrote:I would be more inclined to travel to see a Petra cover band, if someone can play Bob's solos that he doesn't do anymore I am there. Finding a good rock singer like a young John S, Bon Scott, etc could be difficult.
I agree with you. For me, it is more than just being able to play the parts that the original members played. I think that the whole essence of the music needs to be captured. I believe that this can happen because it is from God. He always makes a way.

Done the right way, these Christian cover bands would really go over well. I am sure that there are very many of them but I've not heard them. Maybe it was where I was (and will be again) living. I have tried to start these bands as well and finding the right talent is hard to do. That is why with my Christian band, I just programmed everything on my boards or played them live and layered like a son of a gun to get that sound.

Finding a lead singer would be the hardest I think. Not to only have the person cover John's vocals, but to also do Greg's vocals. Let's also think about Michael W. Smith's vocals, the vocals in Liaison, Whiteheart and so many more.....it is a tall order indeed :)

Grace,
Harry
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:51 pm

Finding a lead singer would be the hardest I think. Not to only have the person cover John's vocals, but to also do Greg's vocals. Let's also think about Michael W. Smith's vocals, the vocals in Liaison, Whiteheart and so many more.....it is a tall order indeed :)
We had two female vocalists to trade lead and harmony for the songs with female singers, or high male vocals, and then we shared the rest of the songs among all other band members. Our bass player sang lead on some songs, and also provided harmonies. If you want a single frontperson, than you are limited to songs he or she can do. Unless you change the key.
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead

Post by musicwithharry » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:01 pm

gman wrote:
We had two female vocalists to trade lead and harmony for the songs with female singers, or high male vocals, and then we shared the rest of the songs among all other band members. Our bass player sang lead on some songs, and also provided harmonies. If you want a single frontperson, than you are limited to songs he or she can do. Unless you change the key.
I had female lead singers too in many bands and they worked well except for certain notes where it may be a little low for them or they cannot support the breath of the note itself. I sing some lead myself, but nothing close to Greg or John. My lead singer in the band did a great job but did not have the range like Greg or John. It is a matter of praying for the right person(s) to come by and be moved by the ministry.

With regard to harmonies, not only did I sing them and such, but I also had 3 harmony boxes controlled by MIDI. Each singer in the band had one hooked to their mic and "voiced" (no pun really intended :) ) to support their range when the harmonies needed to be done. I had a footswitch as well that allowed me to turn them off and on at will.

There was a way to send SYSEX to them through MIDI to turn on and off automatically, but I could not send it with the keyboard that I was using. Now that my rig has changed, I should be able to control the one harmony box I have left (I sold the others) from the keyboard sequencer.

Grace,
Harry
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:33 am

I recorded that 2002 show and the 2003 show at Night of Joy!
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:38 am

Thief wrote:Here's my idea of the perfect Petra Anniversary concert :D

Opening act, a reunion of all four original members (Hough, DeGroff, Glover, and Hartman). They've gotten back together a couple of times during the last years, so I don't think it would be too much of a stretch.

First intermission, invite Rob Frazier to do an acoustic set, maybe joined by Hartman. He could play his Washes Whiter Than songs, plus some solo songs.

Second act, the Classic Petra group. They could do their set of early 80's songs.

Second intermission, Greg X. Volz could do an acoustic set with John Lawry with some of his solo songs... or they could have GHF play a brief set since they already have the guys there.

Third act, the new Petra (Schlitt, Hartman, Bailey, Borneo) playing the Schlitt era songs. Lawry could join them, and they could have Louie filling up in some songs, just for old times sake. Same with Ronny Cates.

Encore, bring up all the former members and close with "God Gave Rock and Roll to You".

If I were to push it, I would also invite guys like Lonnie Chapin, Pete Orta, Kevin Brandow, considering they're not playing much now (Lonnie is a radio host in his hometown, and Orta is doing charity work with his foundation).

LOL, sounds silly, but that's sort of the perfect concert I've had in mind for some time now :lol:
Sort of a Petra super-concert. I think something like would definitely sell if you marketed it right. Promise me a live album and concert video, and I'd buy it.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:44 am

GS. wrote:Orta in my opinion has been there best guitarist who has not been named Bob Hartman.
He tried to hotdog too much on stage which really detracted from his playing. He might have been Petra's best guitar player apart from Bob Hartman, but I think the gulf between them is sizeable.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Orta was entertaining, I prefer that than standing still... he was like the Slash of Petra
0 x