Classic Petra Gone?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Classic Petra Gone?

Post by fcollazo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:06 am

Did anybody notice that both the Official Classic Petra Website as well as their Facebook page have been taken down? It's sad.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: Classic Petra Gone?

Post by Dan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:19 am

Time to move on.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:23 am

Yes its sad, but Classic Petra being done is something we have known about for a while. I think there would be more of a chance of getting the dream team(Bob, John, Johnny, Louie, Ronny or Mark) back together than Classic Petra, with both percentages being very low.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:27 am

yep, business can be hard... I think Classic Petra was the last real lineup we'll see from here on.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:35 am

It's a shame. I really like what they brought to the table. Volz still has a great voice, considering his age, and it was great to see guys like Mark Kelly again. I really like the Back to the Rock album.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:17 am

I think the fans can pretty much rest on anything and everything that has been done.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Kind of sad but I guess there is no reason to have that and an official page, since CP never lived up to the hype.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:02 pm

They just fizzled. I don't know why they never got around to the two promised follow-up albums. Not enough money? Not enough interest from the other band members besides Volz and Louie? Poor management?

Anyway, It was fun while it lasted, and at least we finally got another decent live album out of the band even if it was basically Captured In Time And Space 2. It still bugs me that the Elefante Bros. never cut a live album with the "dream team".
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:55 pm

With no tours and the odd festival. Really it is 2 guys from Petra. Could it be said that Petra is done for good now?

I don't get it, Ronny Cates has expressed interest in rejoining the band, John Lawry is around. Why on earth don't they bring some familiarity back. Petra might be about the music, but it is just as much about who is in the band.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Daniel wrote:With no tours and the odd festival. Really it is 2 guys from Petra. Could it be said that Petra is done for good now?

I don't get it, Ronny Cates has expressed interest in rejoining the band, John Lawry is around. Why on earth don't they bring some familiarity back. Petra might be about the music, but it is just as much about who is in the band.

I know John Lawry actually told CP in the summer 2012 that he was done and that he would fill the rest of the dates they had scheduled but for them not to schedule anymore with him included; I believe they played maybe 5 more shows from that point until the end of 2012, and if CP was still around Lawry would not be touring with them. Lawry does not want to have anything to do with the tour aspect of the band, but I'm sure he would be involved in any production area that the band CP or current lineup would have planned.
Ronny Cates has shown interest but 2 things stand in the way 1. John & Bob love Greg Bailey and he has shown since 2001 that if Petra is playing that he is willing to drop what he is doing and play; I know that band has been off/on for some of that time but Greg's commitment to Petra is going on 13 years which would be him being the longest serving bass player band member and the fourth time serving band member overall. 2. Ronny has shown interest but what level of interest is he showing? I think he would really just like to be a "special guest" type of band member and do a show here/there with it being a few songs.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:14 pm

I know what your saying, Greg Bailey is a cool guy but he plays with Petra a few times a year, I am saying if they wanted to get more dates and more interest they need Ronny Cates and as many recognizable people from the past to gain interest from the public, Ronny wrote to John Schlitt about reforming the band, John didn't get back to him. What ever the case, like Brent said, we have good memories.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:27 pm

I like Ronny as much as anyone, but ditching Bailey for some nostalgic move would be borderline offensive to me. Like someone else said, Bailey has shown a lot of commitment to the band since 2001, plus he's a great bass player. Besides, isn't the fact that Classic Petra fizzled enough proof that the public isn't necessarily looking for nostalgia? Plus, I think I read that Ronny had some grudge with another member a couple of years ago? Don't know who and I'm not into gossip, but could that be another factor getting in the way of a reunion?

But to sum it up, arguing if Petra is finally done seems silly to me. They've been officially done for almost 10 years now, and some of you might say longer than that in spirit. The fact that they officially retired the band in 2005 means that there is no commitment from the band to keep going. They're just wingin' it and doing it for fun, whenever some gig appears. And I'm happy with that. I suppose it's a lot less pressure on them, particularly Bob, to not feel they have to fulfill some deadline to release a record, or fill up a tour, or anything. But if you call them, they'll play.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:35 pm

I really don't think Greg Bailey would care, I am sure he has another full time job doing something else. It was going to be a 40 year anniversary tour, you really have to introduce people back to the people that made the band popular, the Farewell lineup was good... but some like myself are sick of it, don't call it a 40 year anniversary tour if it's just going to be the same stuff over and over again. I regret not seeing Classic Petra, because that was an amazing achievement.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:53 pm

I've been to too many shows to believe the non fanatic would notice who is on bass. Yes, petheads know, but all those people that were at the sames shows as us do not.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Didn't someone from the Petra camp (whoever runs their Facebook page perhaps) say that the band was officially OUT of retirement last fall? I might not be remembering this accurately, but I could swear to have read that officially somewhere.
0 x