Classic Petra Gone?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Re: Classic Petra Gone?

Post by musicwithharry » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:27 pm

I'd be interested in singing in a band like this.[/quote]

Where are you located at? I am going to be moving back up to Cedar Rapids, IA in April of this year.

Grace,
Harry
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Lawry came in at the end of the Volz era. I would be interested in seeing John Slick back with Kelly, Weaver, Hartman and Volz more than anything. Slick was a force in that early band. Lawry did not have the same feel or soul for that Volz music.

If the real Petra cannot book shows for lack of money and/or interest, a tribute band will be nothing more than a local/short lived thing.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:28 pm

brent wrote:Lawry came in at the end of the Volz era. I would be interested in seeing John Slick back with Kelly, Weaver, Hartman and Volz more than anything. Slick was a force in that early band. Lawry did not have the same feel or soul for that Volz music.

If the real Petra cannot book shows for lack of money and/or interest, a tribute band will be nothing more than a local/short lived thing.
Slick was a pretty good keyboard player, but unfortunately he has retired from music business. He currently works as a software developer, and from what I've heard, he is pretty happy with the change.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:02 pm

He has done that line of work for a long time. When he left Petra, he went to work for Synclavier, New England Digital. Wikipedia has some of his credits. He never stopped playing completely though. He used to sit in and jam in Nashville from time to time. There were vids on YouTube for a while.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:56 pm

It would be good to see those videos of Slick, Petra cover band wouldn't work for the same reasons Brent stated, you would have to do a tribute of all Christian Rock. Petra has become about money and nothing else. As far as I can see Petra is over, farewell Petra even with Lawry is dead boring and not Petra.
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead

Post by musicwithharry » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:17 pm

I am not sure that a tribute band would not work per se. Surely we would like to see whatever version of Petra that we most fondly remember but that may never be the case anymore.

Having a band that celebrates the music of Petra would be neat because the message was always about Christ, right? If anything, I would think that the band would indeed be humbled in their legacy (which has already been established and recognized by so many other bands that started because of them), that the music would live on.

Why not broaden the scope a bit and have a full-on Christian rock band that plays Petra, Whiteheart, Idle Cure, Ruscha, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman and so many more?

A lot of the different groups that I've researched online that are looking for players just seem to be interested in doing praise music and their own stuff. Now, this may be fine, but why not have a Christian cover band that plays all the good stuff we remember and still listen to? It seems like on every block there is at least 1 or 2 secular cover bands giving it a shot and some of the tribute bands have great following, celebrating the music of whoever their band is a tribute to.

Why can't we have that for Christian bands? A straight-up no hold barred Christian cover band...

Now maybe I am just in the wrong area, being in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro and soon to be moving back to Cedar Rapids, IA, but I've not found much on the band websites that I use (Bandmix, Bandfinder, etc...).

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

I am originally from California and had trouble finding those types of bands there too.....they were interested in promoting their own original material (of which I have a lot of too) and not really interested in Christian cover tunes.

I would think it would be cool to play the Petra music and such and praise God with the music I grew up on.

Grace,
Harry
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Christian music fans have horrible long term memory and unrealistic standards.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:00 pm

Since you are set on creating music that nobody really knows, then find a way to get it in front of them and then motivate them to come to you, why not just do your own music? I have never heard your music, but I am willing to give a paycheck that you could write some music much better than the majority of the stuff on the charts in the 80s.

Here is the battle. The church does not know about the history of Christian music. It does not appreciate it. The majority of Christian music was pretty corny and was just plain weak back then. If you were to play the hits to a person who did not grow up with it, but grew up listening to the best the world had to offer, they would not take it seriously. Even some of the artists who made that old stuff chuckle about it and are embarrassed. Heck, when I tell people about John Schlitt, most don't even know who Head East is, nor have they heard a Head East song. So, it isn't just Christian music they know nothing about. They only know what they were exposed to in their place in time.

So, if I were you, I would take old songs, rework them, make them "relevant" (gosh I hate that enterprise Christianity buzz word) and focus on building your band, doing your thing and not riding the coat tales of the past that so few even know about.

There are a few CCM music blogs and podcasts where old DJs, who helped launch bands the first time, interview the old artists and play their music. itunes is full of those shows. Maybe that could be an indicator as to who would be hot and who would be not.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:50 pm

Daniel wrote: farewell Petra even with Lawry is dead boring and not Petra.
That's a matter of opinion I suppose. They are not boring to me. I was seriously upset when their Creation set was rained out. They were way better than a lot of stuff there, in my opinion. I drove a ways with my wife to see them later in the year, and would do it again. There are lot of bands and artists I really like that are touring, and I probably wouldn't go to their show even if it were really close by. But, Bob, John, Greg, and Cristian, I'm there. They do a great show. Anybody can poopoo their show if they don't like it, but I'll be right there to say give my opinion that it's awesome.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:35 am

gman wrote:
Daniel wrote: farewell Petra even with Lawry is dead boring and not Petra.
That's a matter of opinion I suppose. They are not boring to me. I was seriously upset when their Creation set was rained out. They were way better than a lot of stuff there, in my opinion. I drove a ways with my wife to see them later in the year, and would do it again. There are lot of bands and artists I really like that are touring, and I probably wouldn't go to their show even if it were really close by. But, Bob, John, Greg, and Cristian, I'm there. They do a great show. Anybody can poopoo their show if they don't like it, but I'll be right there to say give my opinion that it's awesome.
I probably have a differing opinion to most Petheads, I tired of the partial Farewell lineup, I don't mind standing alone on that either. I would hardly say that I am defecating on their show.
0 x

GS.
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 2004

Post by GS. » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:18 am

I would go with the current lineup but with the bsance of keyboards would double up the guitars by inviting Peat Orta back and have him do backup guitars instead of playing a track for a second guitar like they currently do. Orta in my opinion has been there best guitarist who has not been named Bob Hartman.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:07 am

GS. wrote:I would go with the current lineup but with the bsance of keyboards would double up the guitars by inviting Peat Orta back and have him do backup guitars instead of playing a track for a second guitar like they currently do. Orta in my opinion has been there best guitarist who has not been named Bob Hartman.
I like your idea, but I want the extra guitar AND keys. See "Night of Joy 2002" for an example, with Quinton Gibson and Bob Hartman on guitars, and Bryce Bell on keys:

0 x
May the downforce be with you!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:08 am

Pete waz sloppy hey could not play bobs parts correctly.
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead

Post by musicwithharry » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:39 am

brent wrote:Since you are set on creating music that nobody really knows, then find a way to get it in front of them and then motivate them to come to you, why not just do your own music? I have never heard your music, but I am willing to give a paycheck that you could write some music much better than the majority of the stuff on the charts in the 80s.

Here is the battle. The church does not know about the history of Christian music. It does not appreciate it. The majority of Christian music was pretty corny and was just plain weak back then. If you were to play the hits to a person who did not grow up with it, but grew up listening to the best the world had to offer, they would not take it seriously. Even some of the artists who made that old stuff chuckle about it and are embarrassed. Heck, when I tell people about John Schlitt, most don't even know who Head East is, nor have they heard a Head East song. So, it isn't just Christian music they know nothing about. They only know what they were exposed to in their place in time.

So, if I were you, I would take old songs, rework them, make them "relevant" (gosh I hate that enterprise Christianity buzz word) and focus on building your band, doing your thing and not riding the coat tales of the past that so few even know about.

There are a few CCM music blogs and podcasts where old DJs, who helped launch bands the first time, interview the old artists and play their music. itunes is full of those shows. Maybe that could be an indicator as to who would be hot and who would be not.
Brent - I agree with most of the post. I've just been in secular bands for most of my life and a few Christian bands and there is really a need for positivity in today's music world. It seems like any kid with a bad haircut and a computer can make a hit nowadays :)

I intend to do some of my original material as well but did not want the focus to be on my original music, but rather on some of the other music that praises Christ. I agree with the cheesiness factor of lots of the music from when CCR started; I had some of it myself and do not listen to it anymore. Even some of Petra's and Whiteheart's early stuff may be lofted into that category.

I guess that I would be talking about covering the more "mainstream" Christian artists. Petra, Whiteheart, Idle Cure, Michael W. Smith (he's very popular across the genres), Amy Grant (another one cross-popular) and so many more. Even some of the ones today are okay and I would wanna cover them too.

Before moving to Texas last year, I was in a group that was full of Christians but did not want to play Christian music. They were not a Christian band, just a band with Christians in it.

I guess that I am talking about being bold about the message of salvation and it needs to be heard more than ever.

How do we bring the music? We play outdoor events at churches and other places. I was in a band up north that I led called Heavenwind Ministries and that is exactly what we did. I had a giant PA system with lights, video screen and projector and the whole deal. I programmed everything on my keyboards and my best friend was the lead singer. We had harmony boxes controlled by MIDI from my keyboards so I could have huge harmonies and stuff. It was a great show when we played. When I move back in April to Iowa, we are gonna start it up again.

What we did was a mixture of some praise music (the really good stuff) and Christian AoR (that we could actually sing). We also infused my original songs and even did some secular crossover stuff (like U2, and some others that lend to positivity). It was part of the message and I even gave a small and short message during the concert event. What really made us popular was the fact that even though it was a concert event with thousands of watts and lights and stuff, it was still personal. Dave would take his wireless mic and go out into the crowd and sing with them. He brought it to them. It became real when the lead singer was standing in front of you, singing the words to the songs.

I've wanted to redo some of Petra's music because I've almost always felt that the MPTY and NOTW and BTS stuff could use more guitar; a little edge. I would add that to the music to give it more bite. The same with some Michael W. Smith music as well. Whiteheart covered all the bases on most of their stuff. The same with Liaison, Idle Cure and others I would want to cover.

I know that any of it is a hard battle. Even being in a quality secular band is a hard find and quite a chore to maintain. I guess one of the main things is that we keep true to His word and use the talents He gave us to praise Him. If it is good, people will come to hear, if only for the music. We know that there is much more to it though and they will hear the words. Minimally, they will have been able to see a great show with great musicians. There is always an impact to be made.

Grace,
Harry
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Liaison! Now you're singing my tune. Their stuff runs circles around so much of CCM. Incredible writing. I was in a band way back that did exactly what you want to do, minus the secular stuff. We had a couple Liaison tunes in the set. A few Whiteheart and Petra songs, a couple from Michael W., two from Amy off of Heart in Motion, Russ Taff's Wind of Change, a bunch of Maggie B and Rachel Rachel, a lot of early Newsboys from when they were more of a rock band. There are probably others I'm leaving out. We did some Mylon & Broken Heart. They were good songs, but I never cared much for the Mylon sound. We had some JAG songs in there as well. Great stuff. We considered many a D&K song, but sadly they never made the cut. I always wanted to do Let's Get Upset. Though it wasn't there heaviest work, I really liked the stuff on Go To the Top. I watched the VHS countless times.
I pretty much learned to play drum set in that band. We often made our own gigs. Sponsoring roller skating nights or putting on outdoor events. Our bass player was our band leader. He was older and well off, and found it enjoyable to acquire gear on the used market and build a large, quality sound system. At one point he had one of the big Ampeg cabinets for himself he found it used, could afford it, and didn't mind hauling it around.
Our early PA system was mounted in this tall wooden rack he built himself. We'd load all the speakers in the back of the guitar player's pick up, and slide the rack into the back of the bass players old Toyota wagon. Good times!
If you can pull it off, go for it!
I will say for me personally, learning the drum parts for the songs, and also hammering out chord charts and bringing songs to the table was invaluable training for me.
I didn't know a lick of music theory when I got to college, but I could play piano to a degree, I knew chrods, and I had developed my ear pretty well.
0 x