Classic Petra Gone?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: Classic Petra Gone?

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:19 pm

That was the assumption I was under too Superfly?

Exe many at festival wouldn't care who was playing, but what about at an actual Petra concert in the states if there could ever be one again?
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Yes it was posted on Facebook that they were back. I was also at a concert in the states where they said the same thing. It was a packed house, and they sounded fantastic. I thought they had new music in the works. Also in a post about them having to cancel their appearance at Creation West, they gave the impression that they would be back at Creation in 2014, or at least doing more shows. I would be surprised if they didn't come back to Lancaster, because the show was so well received. The band and hosts seem genuinely excited over the turnout, and eager to do it again.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Is anybody actively working to get them new shows? I played in a few bands, and we did our own leg work to get gigs. I doubt Bob or John is doing that.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Their concept seems to be "call Sue". That is no way to do it. It costs big money to do it and get results. Of course, there has to be demand for whomever the band is. Is their concept effective? Well, how many are calling Sue with money? Evidently not many last year.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:41 am

It always comes back to money. Someone said earlier that having Ronny Cates back would create a bigger draw. Would it? I think Classic Petra proved that you need more than just familiar faces on the stage. You need marketing and promotion, and lots of it, and that means lots of money. It really doesn't matter who the line-up is if nobody knows they're playing. Get the money, get the marketing, and you'll get the shows. There's really no other way to go about it.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:24 am

Some bands can get away with swapping members, the branding takes over. I saw Foreigner a couple years ago and Mick was out sick- leaving no original members on the stage. Crowd did not skip a beat. Foreigner is one of those bands where a lot of fans don't know all the members, but they love the music. They might know Lou Gram or Mick, but I would guess more than half don't know Foreigner members from Loverboy. Then there is the Van Halen/Journey situation where fans know the members, and if the new singer is not accepted the tickets stop selling. I don't think Petra is like Journey or Van Halen, I think they are more like Foreigner. Just my hypothesis this is.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:33 pm

rexreed wrote:I don't think Petra is like Journey or Van Halen, I think they are more like Foreigner. Just my hypothesis this is.
I don't know if Petra would work with a new lead singer at this point. If John Schlitt ever retired then I think Petra would be well and truly done.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:54 pm

It's hard to argue about a new singer, considering that Schlitt has been with the band for more than 20 years (vs. Greg's 5-6 years). But as far as the rest of the band goes, I don't think people care much about who is in. Sure, it's cool to see members with whom you grew or that recorded several albums, but it still seems weird to argue about familiar faces in a band with an average turnover of 6 years.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:55 pm

My point was that Foreigner's brand is still pretty valuable with mostly, and sometimes 100% replacements.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:49 pm

Petraband.com mentions the 40th Anniversary tour, but other than some ladies baseball shirts the whole thing has fizzed. It's like they are undoing the high of sorts that Petra Farewell retired on. It's embarrassing from a business point of view.

Booking info:

U.S. and Canada
Gary Balser
[email protected]
Ph. 614-348-3394

Other International
Kim Hartman/Petra Productions Inc.
[email protected]
Ph. 931 200-5131
0 x

musicwithharry
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by musicwithharry » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Maybe it is time to put a tribute band together for CP and do the music from the Volz era? Or maybe even include all of their music?

I, for one, would love to be the keyboardist for this type of project. I know almost all of their music from about Never Say Die all the way through No Doubt and even played some of their music in my band, Heavenwind Ministries. As soon as I moved back up to Iowa (Cedar Rapids) in April, the lead singer (who is my best friend) and I are getting it back together to pick up where we left off a couple of years ago.

I know that normal tribute bands are really together to celebrate the music of a certain band. One of my music buddies is even the bass player for a well known Journey tribute band in Northern California and they are doing very well.

I know that Petra's ministry has been Christ-centered for their entire career and we as humans can get in the way of that.

Why not create a band that plays Petra music and help spread the message of love and salvation just like they did? Would that be an issue with true fans? I think not, especially if we remember WHO this is all about anyway :)

Grace,
Harry
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Here's my idea of the perfect Petra Anniversary concert :D

Opening act, a reunion of all four original members (Hough, DeGroff, Glover, and Hartman). They've gotten back together a couple of times during the last years, so I don't think it would be too much of a stretch.

First intermission, invite Rob Frazier to do an acoustic set, maybe joined by Hartman. He could play his Washes Whiter Than songs, plus some solo songs.

Second act, the Classic Petra group. They could do their set of early 80's songs.

Second intermission, Greg X. Volz could do an acoustic set with John Lawry with some of his solo songs... or they could have GHF play a brief set since they already have the guys there.

Third act, the new Petra (Schlitt, Hartman, Bailey, Borneo) playing the Schlitt era songs. Lawry could join them, and they could have Louie filling up in some songs, just for old times sake. Same with Ronny Cates.

Encore, bring up all the former members and close with "God Gave Rock and Roll to You".

If I were to push it, I would also invite guys like Lonnie Chapin, Pete Orta, Kevin Brandow, considering they're not playing much now (Lonnie is a radio host in his hometown, and Orta is doing charity work with his foundation).

LOL, sounds silly, but that's sort of the perfect concert I've had in mind for some time now :lol:
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by gman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:48 pm

I would bet that there are and have been plenty of bands covering Petra stuff, much like your has done. I was in one. Judas Kiss and I Am On the Rock were a regular staple of our set lists. We also di Road to Zion early on. Prior to that band, our guitar player was in another band that did Godpleaser, and probably other Volz era stuff. John Schlitt even did some shows with a backing band that included members from the Zone. I'll bet you could put a whole show together with your band, and hire John to come in and sing.
From what I've read here, it sounds like the current version of Petra is available for shows if someone contacts them. I'd like to see someone take the initiative and drum up gigs for band. Get the word out that they are still around and available, and line up some venues and radio sponsors. Like I said earlier, WJTL brought them in to Central PA, and it was a packed house.
The passion was there from the band. It really seemed like they want to get out and do shows. I just don't see why they aren't doing at least couple shows a month, other than no one is really working to get them the shows.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:11 pm

gman wrote:I would bet that there are and have been plenty of bands covering Petra stuff, much like your has done. I was in one. Judas Kiss and I Am On the Rock were a regular staple of our set lists. We also di Road to Zion early on. Prior to that band, our guitar player was in another band that did Godpleaser, and probably other Volz era stuff. John Schlitt even did some shows with a backing band that included members from the Zone. I'll bet you could put a whole show together with your band, and hire John to come in and sing.
From what I've read here, it sounds like the current version of Petra is available for shows if someone contacts them. I'd like to see someone take the initiative and drum up gigs for band. Get the word out that they are still around and available, and line up some venues and radio sponsors. Like I said earlier, WJTL brought them in to Central PA, and it was a packed house.
The passion was there from the band. It really seemed like they want to get out and do shows. I just don't see why they aren't doing at least couple shows a month, other than no one is really working to get them the shows.
I don't know how proactive they are being, but considering the situation, I think they should be more aggressive themselves. Perhaps book a few nights at some cafes or small venues, run promotions through churches and Christian radio stations, look for any festival or show where several bands might be playing, regardless of how small the show is. Like I said, I don't know how much of this they area actually doing, but I think it could work. Going back to the basics.
0 x

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by mkepethead » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:00 pm

musicwithharry wrote:Maybe it is time to put a tribute band together for CP and do the music from the Volz era? Or maybe even include all of their music?

I, for one, would love to be the keyboardist for this type of project. I know almost all of their music from about Never Say Die all the way through No Doubt and even played some of their music in my band, Heavenwind Ministries. As soon as I moved back up to Iowa (Cedar Rapids) in April, the lead singer (who is my best friend) and I are getting it back together to pick up where we left off a couple of years ago.

I know that normal tribute bands are really together to celebrate the music of a certain band. One of my music buddies is even the bass player for a well known Journey tribute band in Northern California and they are doing very well.

I know that Petra's ministry has been Christ-centered for their entire career and we as humans can get in the way of that.

Why not create a band that plays Petra music and help spread the message of love and salvation just like they did? Would that be an issue with true fans? I think not, especially if we remember WHO this is all about anyway :)

Grace,
Harry
I'd be interested in singing in a band like this.
0 x
Petra Means Rock!