Petra Is Done

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: Petra Is Done

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:19 am

rexreed wrote:They are doing pretty good without Perry.
Not nearly as well as they were doing with Perry. These days they're commonly regarded as the world's greatest Journey cover band singing Perry's music. The band exists today in Perry's shadow.

Let's put it this way: If Steve Perry made a comeback with Journey, it'd blow everything they've done since his retirement out of the water.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Not nearly as well as they were doing with Perry. These days they're commonly regarded as the world's greatest Journey cover band singing Perry's music. The band exists today in Perry's shadow.

Let's put it this way: If Steve Perry made a comeback with Journey, it'd blow everything they've done since his retirement out of the water.
And they will...
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:01 pm

Have heard rumors of Steve Perry+Journey comeback?
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 pm

Mountain Man wrote:

To be honest, I doubt they would be doing much better if they would've stayed with Perry. Like I've said before, this is an issue of the general music landscape that has plagued most classic 80's rock bands with only a few exceptions, and regardless of whether they have their original lineup or not. Sure, if Perry were to reunite with Journey now, it will be a big deal, but mostly because people love and crave this nostalgic comebacks. But if Perry hadn't left the band, they would probably be on the same spot now as most of their peers are.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:33 pm

Thief wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:

To be honest, I doubt they would be doing much better if they would've stayed with Perry. Like I've said before, this is an issue of the general music landscape that has plagued most classic 80's rock bands with only a few exceptions, and regardless of whether they have their original lineup or not. Sure, if Perry were to reunite with Journey now, it will be a big deal, but mostly because people love and crave this nostalgic comebacks. But if Perry hadn't left the band, they would probably be on the same spot now as most of their peers are.
They are in the same spot as their peers.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Steve is on record saying no way will he ever get with those guys. He used the marriage analogy.

Journey was having to tune waaay down in rehearsals for the Trial By Fire tour. Word is it wasn't going well for him or the band. During the recording of Trial By Fire, word from engineers and assistants that vocals were "rough". You guys don't really think Journey would ditch their golden boy who just gave them a reunited band and one of their best records for a hip injury alone do ya?
0 x

leonardo d.
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not Of This World
Pethead since: 2003

Post by leonardo d. » Thu May 01, 2014 11:51 am

I would love to see a Journey reunion not only with Steve Perry, but Gregg Rolie as well! Gregg brought so much to Journey that often gets overlooked, heck, the man can play and sing rings around Jonathan Cain anyday!

0 x
Will you be there when the big door swings open?

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu May 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Oh, I don't think the hip injury was all there was to it; I was just pointing that out as a possible contributing factor to stuff that had probably already been happening. There was likely a combination of a lot of things contributing to the Journey-Perry drama and that is usually the case with most situations.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu May 01, 2014 3:34 pm

brent wrote:Steve is on record saying no way will he ever get with those guys. He used the marriage analogy.

Journey was having to tune waaay down in rehearsals for the Trial By Fire tour. Word is it wasn't going well for him or the band. During the recording of Trial By Fire, word from engineers and assistants that vocals were "rough". You guys don't really think Journey would ditch their golden boy who just gave them a reunited band and one of their best records for a hip injury alone do ya?
Perry sounded great on "For The Love Of Strange Medicine" (released after "Trial by Fire") and the subsequent tour where he performed a lot of Journey songs, so whatever the reason for the split, I find it hard to believe that "Steve couldn't sing" was the primary reason, or even a reason. I think it was just a clash of egos, and Schon got the rest of the band on his side and forced Perry out.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Thu May 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thief wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:

They are in the same spot as their peers.
Which was my point :P there would be little to no difference.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri May 02, 2014 8:34 am

A2petrafan wrote:are you referring to Greg X Volz?
YES!! Sorry about the slow response I've been without internet because the Gas Company decided to dig and damage the underground wiring.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri May 02, 2014 8:37 am

thunderecho wrote:
executioner wrote:
rexreed wrote:Don't forget Soto:) According to Schon the Revelation tour "eclipsed" previous tours. Man, If I could go back in time and see Frontiers...
I saw Petra one time... During Unseen Power. I thought it was great, the asboestes was falling off the Sam Houston Coliseum ceiling. I always thought It would be possible to see them again and it never panned out...cept for CP.
Yeah according to Schon Journey has made more money on touring in the last 10 years then they did at any other time in their history.
They seem to have robust attendance when then are partnered with other classic rock bands (Heart and Cheap Trick in 2008 for example). In 2014, they are touring with the Steve Miller band and I expect that tour will be successful. Last two times I attended a Journey concert where they were "solo" the attendance was far from capacity.
It's been years since they have done a tour all by themselves. They do some one offs but that is about it.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri May 02, 2014 8:40 am

Mountain Man wrote:
rexreed wrote:Don't forget Soto:) According to Schon the Revelation tour "eclipsed" previous tours. Man, If I could go back in time and see Frontiers...
I saw Petra one time... During Unseen Power. I thought it was great, the asboestes was falling off the Sam Houston Coliseum ceiling. I always thought It would be possible to see them again and it never panned out...cept for CP.
I would take anything Schon says with a grain of salt. He's still trying to convince himself they can make it without Perry.

There needs to be no convincing, they are making it without Perry and quite successfully I might add.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri May 02, 2014 8:42 am

Daniel wrote:
executioner wrote:I'm a huge classic Journey fan but I felt at times Perry was over the top and has/had a huge ego. I admit Arniel is no Perry, but I will have to say their last few albums have really been great and their shows are tight.I know in a band your going to have egos but Steve made no friends in the band with his; just like another former lead singer we know.
What you talkin bout Willis?

You know :mrgreen:
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri May 02, 2014 8:58 am

Thief wrote:Steve Perry has needed Journey, as much as Journey has needed Perry. Maybe even more, since Journey has been more on the spotlight afterwards than what Perry has been ever since he left the band. Which, in keeping with the otherwise unnecessary Petra parallels, is a bit similar to the Volz/Petra situation in terms of what happened after.

Both sides needed each other before they met; unlike Journey Perry had no label, no money, no market, and was about ready to call it quits in the music business when he got hooked up with Journey and at that time Journey had a record deal and was somewhat successful in what they were doing, but they all knew their success would not sustain itself so a marriage was made. BTW Steve Perry has tried unsuccessfully to get an album deal since the late 90's but nothing has ever materialized and his quote is always something like my health is not good or I'm waiting for the right deal. Now unlike Steve Perry the current Journey has seen success in what they are doing, yeah they are getting no radio play(tell which band of the 80's is), but their last few albums have been successful("Revelation" platinum and "Eclipse" gold) with highly successful tours to boot.
Quote from Joe Elliot of Def Leppard about the tour they did with Journey about five years ago. "The most sincere and professional people and band we have ever come in contact in our careers"(paraphrase)
0 x