Favorite Schlitt-era album

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

Favorite Schlitt-era album?

Back to the Street
No votes
This Means War!
13%
On Fire!
17%
Beyond Belief
29%
Unseen Power
No votes
Wake-Up Call
25%
No Doubt
No votes
God Fixation
4%
Jekyll & Hyde
13%

Total votes: 24

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Favorite Schlitt-era album

Post by Thief » Fri May 02, 2014 9:11 pm

pmal wrote:Ok, seriously asking, I keep seeing people rate "Wake Up Call" as their highest rated album, which is their prerogative as it's a good album. Is it the music or personal perspective that makes it #1 for you? If it's music, once again, no argument intended, which song out of the entire of "Wake Up Call" is better than any of these songs on "On Fire": All Fired Up, Hit You Where You Live, Mine Field, Defector, Counsel of the Holy, Stand in the Gap? Those are six outstanding songs. I just want to know what six songs on "Wake Up Call" are better in your opinion that would lead "Wake Up Call" to be rated higher. Please share your stories/opinions.
I do think On Fire! is slightly better (I have them #2 and #3 in my ranking). However, I will say "Midnight Oil", "Praying Man", "Underneath the Blood", "Just Reach Out", and maybe even "Sleeping Giant", are among my favorite songs and probably on par with the ones you mentioned (which would probably be my favorites from On Fire! as well, although I would add "Somebody's Gonna Praise His Name"). I do like the cohesiveness in OF's themes, and I feel the album, as a whole, plays itself better than WUC, but the latter is one heck of an album too.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri May 02, 2014 10:50 pm

pmal wrote:Ok, seriously asking, I keep seeing people rate "Wake Up Call" as their highest rated album, which is their prerogative as it's a good album. Is it the music or personal perspective that makes it #1 for you? If it's music, once again, no argument intended, which song out of the entire of "Wake Up Call" is better than any of these songs on "On Fire": All Fired Up, Hit You Where You Live, Mine Field, Defector, Counsel of the Holy, Stand in the Gap? Those are six outstanding songs. I just want to know what six songs on "Wake Up Call" are better in your opinion that would lead "Wake Up Call" to be rated higher. Please share your stories/opinions.
Its by far the best album production Petra has ever done; The songs on it are so rich with all the instruments right there with nothing in the background with there being a separation between the bass drum and the Ronny's bass. Another thing I love is on how John's vocals are imbedded in the music and not on top. The only song on WUC I do not really care for is "Believer Indeed" all other songs are very strong. On Fire! had really weak ballads and the production sounds dated in this day and time. WUC still sounds fresh & current.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 pm

shawnpfan2010 wrote:

It only takes one song to defeat all that you listed. In my mind Underneath The Blood blows all the songs you listed out of the water.
Amen to that!
0 x

JH19301726
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake up Call
Pethead since: 1993

Post by JH19301726 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:41 pm

in order from least to most liked by me. (i do love all these cds fyi)

9. God Fixation
8. Back to the Street
7. Jekyll and Hyde
6. No Doubt
5. This Means War
4. On Fire
3. Unseen Power
2. Beyond Belief
1. Wake up Call
0 x
When I call on Your Name i never the same. When I call on Your Name i am healed from my shame. Just the mention of Your Name and my heart/life/world has got to change. but my Yahshua (Jesus) You're forever the same.

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Tue May 13, 2014 8:02 pm

This Means War! is definitely my top favorite Schlitt album; of all Petra albums, it's the only one I enjoy as much as Beat the System. I especially like the grand sound of "Get On Your Knees" and "You Are My Rock". I also thought it curious that Wake-Up Call is so liked, especially since it didn't sell amazingly when it was released. It's a good album, although not one I listen to much.
In general, I would arrange them like this:

1.This Means War!
2/3.On Fire!
3/2.Back To The Street
4.Jekyll & Hyde
5.No Doubt
6.Unseen Power
7.Beyond Belief
8.Wake-Up Call
9.God Fixation

I'm not sure if I like On Fire or Back To The Street better; I think OF was more unified, but BTTS has better songs in general. I wasn't sure where to put No Doubt either... I really like "No Doubt", "Think Twice", and "Two Are Better Than One", but as an album, it's not the best, or as good as it could be. What album I like also depends on which one I listened to last... :)
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."