1987 Back To The Street?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: 1987 Back To The Street?

Post by Dan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:19 am

Technically Piratebay isn't breaking any laws, it is only a list of what is in a swarm of shared media that's on the end users computers. Unfortunately some of the founders were mixed up in other stuff... but the site lives on.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Dan wrote:Technically Piratebay isn't breaking any laws, it is only a list of what is in a swarm of shared media that's on the end users computers.
It's more than that. It also keeps track of the data going to and from users' computers, making sure that everybody is linked up and sharing data across the swarm. It's a bit like hosting a swap meet for stolen goods. You might not have actually stolen anything yourself, but you're still assisting those who have have broken the law. That said, torrent sites have been notoriously difficult to shutdown because of the fact that they don't actually host the content, so there's a bit of a loophole in current copyright laws.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:28 pm

not really, here is some info on magnet links for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_URI_scheme
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Dan wrote:not really, here is some info on magnet links for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_URI_scheme
Um... yeah, that doesn't contradict anything I said. There still has to be a central tracker to keep all the peers straight.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:13 pm

These are "magnet links", a link that lets you download a torrent directly in your BitTorrent client, instead of your browser. Most clients supports this (uTorrent, Vuze, rtorrent, whatever) and will get the relevant torrent data over the DHT network.

And DHT? It's a de-centralized peer to peer network that all modern clients join by default, even if they are currently not downloading any torrents. DHT can help you find peers and metadata when you choose to start a torrent download.

The development of DHT has reached a stage where a tracker is no longer needed to use a torrent. DHT (combined with PEX) is highly effective in finding peers without the need for a centralized service. If you run uTorrent you might have noticed in the tracker tab of your torrents that the [Peer Exchange] (PEX) row is often reporting a lot more peers than the trackers you might have for that torrent. These peers all came to you without the use of a central tracker service! This is what we consider to be the future. Faster and more stability for the users because there is no central point to rely upon.
Now that the decentralized system for finding peers is so well developed, TPB has decided that there is no need to run a tracker anymore, so it will remain down! It's the end of an era, but the era is no longer up2date. We have put a server in a museum already, and now the tracking can be put there as well.

By moving to a more decentralized system of handling tracking (DHT+PEX) and distributions of torrent files (Magnet Links), BitTorrent will become less vulnerable to downtime and outages:

With decentralized peer acquisition, there is no central tracker that can be down.
With decentralized fetching of metadata (torrents) we don't need to rely on a single server that stores and distributes torrent files.

http://pirated.webs.com/magneturls.htm
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm

I know what your saying Mountain Man it used to be like that, but torrents can be picked up without a central indexer.

Check this thing out... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribler
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 am

But there still has to be a repository somewhere where people make initial contact.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:15 am

It doesn't matter. People will ALWAYS find a back door, and undotted i, and uncrossed t. There is no security. There is no intellectual protection. Sometimes the lack of security is designed in because it generates revenue for the company that just happens to upsell security options...cough...Cisco...cough.

There are those, even here, believing that Christian music should be taken, because they cannot afford to buy it. I don't believe that for a second. People buy what they want all of the time, even homeless people in the united states have cell phones, or can get them. People can give up a meal and buy a recording that lasts forever, if they want to. For me, I don't hear much new music worth missing a meal over.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:12 am

Mountain Man wrote:But there still has to be a repository somewhere where people make initial contact.
I was under the impression that there was no need for this anymore, for example TPB grabs magnet links nodes broadcasting on the protocols that are used for bit torrents, it then makes a list of it's findings and the stats and data from within the link hash, also how many instances are found of this hash, seeders and lechers. Like the Triber software scans like a radio scanner of broadcasts.

If there is a central indexer somewhere, it isn't on TPB. I agree there has to be some sort of indexer somewhere, as you can't scan every IPv4/IPv6 node on the earth constantly.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:26 am

Al Gore can. He created the internet.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I agree with the idea that if people can afford a device to store downloaded music and afford an Internet connection, they should be able to shell out a few bucks and pay for the music they download. There will always be people who will take freebies if they can.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Hey, I love torrents and such! And is it really stealing if you would just get it on ebay anyway? After all, it not like the artist or record company are getting any money from me... I got 'bout a third of all my Petra stuff from the Russians... they're so generous. I see file sharing as about the same as borrowing a CD at the library and ripping it to mp3. At any rate, I'm gonna keep on "pirating" and hating all security software - I trust the hackers more than the security professionals.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:22 am

fiendik wrote:Hey, I love torrents and such! And is it really stealing if you would just get it on ebay anyway? After all, it not like the artist or record company are getting any money from me... I got 'bout a third of all my Petra stuff from the Russians... they're so generous. I see file sharing as about the same as borrowing a CD at the library and ripping it to mp3. At any rate, I'm gonna keep on "pirating" and hating all security software - I trust the hackers more than the security professionals.
Prepare yourself to get slammed by the local copyright police. :lol:

I don't follow your reasoning. How is buying on eBay the same as downloading everything? If you buy second-hand on eBay, the band will already have received money for it. So it might not be your money they get, but they did get paid for that disc. If you download, nobody's getting any money.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:51 am

fiendik wrote:Hey, I love torrents and such! And is it really stealing if you would just get it on ebay anyway? After all, it not like the artist or record company are getting any money from me... I got 'bout a third of all my Petra stuff from the Russians... they're so generous. I see file sharing as about the same as borrowing a CD at the library and ripping it to mp3. At any rate, I'm gonna keep on "pirating" and hating all security software - I trust the hackers more than the security professionals.
I can't tell if you're being tongue-in-cheek, but no, buying something secondhand where the original item is transferred from one owner to another is not the same as straight up stealing it. And it really is stealing, not "sharing". If you can't afford to acquire your music or games or whatever legally then the correct action is to simply go without it. You don't have a fundamental right to entertainment, and there's no justification for depriving someone else of their livelihood just because you want to be entertained without rightfully compensating the creator.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:10 am

Torrents are used for legit purposes as well, but obviously the majority is unreleased movies and games. Torrenting music isn't as popular since sites like grooveshark let you download copyrighted music easy enough for free (not sure how they get away with that) Youtube is the biggest piracy site on the internet, all songs can be easily ripped. I bet Bob hasn't seen a cent from Youtube for the millions of combined views of Petra material that has been uploaded by Pirates.
0 x