Petra at Illinois State Fair

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Re: Petra at Illinois State Fair

Post by Jonathan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Why, yes. I am ready to get Petrafied. Thanks for asking.

Ha ha, "The End."
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Jonathan you must have a meme for this topic?

I was just looking in Google keyword analysis for Petra band, John Schlitt, etc and the lack of interest/dates for Petra do not add up.
0 x

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Dan wrote:Jonathan you must have a meme for this topic?
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Bready
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1986

Post by Bready » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:17 pm

For what it's worth, I think the real question is does Petra (Bob, and John with special guest John Lawry), want to tour? I think Bob is content with the occasional concert and John and John want to focus on their solo projects.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Whiteheart is only doing four shows at this point, which really isn't a tour. The difference is that they are motivated to make it happen on their own. They may have some management working with them, but they are pushing the ball. They're using something similar to kickstarter. The name escapes me. They've got the ticket presales for four cities, and they just put the word on Facebook to contact them if you have a contact for venue in each of those cities. It's obvious they are motivated and working to get shows.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:28 pm

What are you guys calling a tour? Touring is out 24/7 for months or years at a time. Those days for CCM are over. They may do one-offs here and there. There is no market for a tour for legacy bands because the legacy fans just don't care or enough don't have the money to buy the band into every major market.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:30 pm

According to my sources the White Heart 4 city mini tour is just the start(if everything goes as planned). They would really liked to do some dates in the spring also in different cities from what this 4 city mini tour is this fall. They are working on new music and have thought about putting something together for next summer and from what I'm hearing all production would be done in house with most likely only digital copies being made available.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Bready wrote:For what it's worth, I think the real question is does Petra (Bob, and John with special guest John Lawry), want to tour? I think Bob is content with the occasional concert and John and John want to focus on their solo projects.

This is what I'm hearing. They all are willing to do a couple of dates per month but because of other things that would be it. Both John's have solid businesses going right now, to them Petra would and is just a side gig and is not a priority; in other words they are not seeking dates they would have to fall into their lap. I will say Bob is still very interested in maybe putting out something new, but like the others it would have to fall into his lap and feel right going forward. Some will say get Classic Petra back in the studio but that ship has sailed and it would need a miracle to come back together and if so happened it did it would be without at least one member or maybe two.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:53 am

Yeah, and then people would be having the same conversations they had in the past when those members left before. Pass. Let the dead bones lay.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
I've asked this before, but does anybody know if he had some voice coaching recently to tune his pipes up?
No, he's never had a lesson in his life.

John has always said that when he can hear correctly, he has no problem nailing the notes. It's when there's a bad system, or the mix is bad - that's when he has some trouble.

I was there at this show, and the guys sounded great!

Here's the set list:

More pix here: https://picasaweb.google.com/johnwschli ... ingfieldIL
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Three questions:

1. So, does this mean that John Lawry will be with them on the occassional show about once a month from now on?

2. Also, how they are managing to get Christian al the way from Argentina for one show at a time. That solunds expensive and also there are visa issues. Don't get me wrong, he sounded great and it was not until i saw the pictures that i realized he only had a 4 piece drum kit. He made it sound like a 15 piece drum kit. He has improved tremendously, and is making his own signature Petra drum sound and dymamics. Great Job! I just feel like now that we like Christian we dont want Petra to loose him.

3. I saw the interview and Concert Video of John in Finland at the end of 2013, and he says the record company asked if they wanted to make a new Petra record. Whatever happened to that. With John Lawry on board i would love a new Schlitt Petra record now for sure. Anybody know?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 pm

1. Lawry is open to playing, yes. But it's not looking like Petra has monthly dates on the books.

2. Cristian is now living in Nashville, and has a home studio.

3. I'm thinking that was a Dean Capone deal... and we know where that all went. Sorry...
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:38 pm

Don't make us start a Kickstarter to get Petra to record. I would love to take a whack at produce an EP.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:12 am

speaking of Kickstarter, I hadn't realized that Bloodgood had used Kickstarter for their record that was just released in the past year. It's a great record and had I known I would've joined their campaign. I sure would throw my support behind a new Petra project, and definitely would for another Schlitt one as well..maybe in another year or so after he promotes The Christmas Project this coming season?
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:46 am

sue d. wrote:No, he's never had a lesson in his life.

John has always said that when he can hear correctly, he has no problem nailing the notes. It's when there's a bad system, or the mix is bad - that's when he has some trouble.
Wow, never a lesson at all? That's amazing. It's not unusual for untrained singers to use techniques that destroy their vocal chords, and they have to cut their careers short, so it's quite impressive that John is still in full command of his vocals after decades of performing.
0 x