Songs from Double Take that you like more than the originals

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Samson
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All of them!
Pethead since: 1991

Songs from Double Take that you like more than the originals

Post by Samson » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:14 am

I think This Means War was beautifully done here, and it's also my favorite track, but I have to give props to Judas Kiss. The original Judas Kiss is one of my faves in their entire discography, but the remake was well done.
Last edited by Samson on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Re: Sons from Double Take that you like more than the origin

Post by sickasadog » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Can't think of even one song that comes close to the originals for me. To my ears, they took every great melody and made them flat and lifeless.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Re: Sons from Double Take that you like more than the origin

Post by Thief » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:44 pm

"Breathe In"? :wink: But seriously, I love that song.

As for the others, I don't think there's a single one that I like more than the originals. And this is coming from someone who is usually more lenient towards the album than the usual fan.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Songs from Double Take that you like more than the origi

Post by brent » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:58 pm

That album is the worst sell out Christian album of all time from any artist. It is sad they released that as a Petra record. Total fail. Your mileage may vary.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:15 pm

Would you have rather had them put out another compilation album like Word wanted to Petra to do? A no frills heard-it-all-before compilation to finish up their contract. That's what you WOULD have gotten instead.

Bob and all didn't want that.... hence Double Take was born.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:17 am

They were supposed to do a live album and then the record company said: Please, anything but a live album... and we got Double Take. I think I'd rather have Double Take than a live album from that period of Petra's history. Pete, Lonnie and Kevin are great guys, but not a line-up that's exciting enough to make a live album worth it. Even though this line-up was the first time I got to see Petra live, looking backwards, I don't think having these guys in Petra was a good idea. It has never felt like they were committed stick-around guys. I'm glad they found Greg B. and Paul. To me the Farewell line-up has been one of Petra's stellar line-ups and I'm glad we finally got a live album with these guys. Much more interesting and exciting than a live album from 1999.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:33 am

DT was good for the band, because they got some awards. The awards were not because of the music's popularity with the fans. They were from industry folk scratching other industry folk's back. That is how 99% of the awards work. Some of them are purchased and/or bartered. Nonetheless, the awards sound good to the low-information public.

Sue, I would have rather they not butcher those songs. If a live album was the option, I would have taken a live album from that band. Pete was sloppy and would not play the right chords, punches, solos, etc, but Lonnie and Louie were solid. John was still delivering back then. That band was not any more Petra sounding than DT songs were, but at least the songs would be recognizable and easier to sing along with upon first listen.

The musicianship on DT was good. Production was good. The melodies just make me cringe. It's like they sat down and said, how can we remove all of the melody, the hooks and vibe that made these songs what they are. There is nothing memorable left. The originals WERE/ARE memorable. This Is War as a depressing ballad? Come on. The music must match the message. We aren't marching into war with a whimper. We are marching in with a drumline and backline turned to '11, baby!
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:06 pm

Mylast root canal was more enjoyable than listening to DT!
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Samson
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All of them!
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Samson » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:36 pm

sue d. wrote:Would you have rather had them put out another compilation album like Word wanted to Petra to do? A no frills heard-it-all-before compilation to finish up their contract. That's what you WOULD have gotten instead.

Thank the Lord for that!
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Samson wrote:
sue d. wrote:Would you have rather had them put out another compilation album like Word wanted to Petra to do? A no frills heard-it-all-before compilation to finish up their contract. That's what you WOULD have gotten instead.

Thank the Lord for that!
I would not have purchased a compilation album, but I would have purchased a live album despite the lineup at the time. I wish they would have done either of these options than make DT, because I felt I wasted $20 on DT.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:46 pm

brent wrote:That album is the worst sell out Christian album of all time from any artist. It is sad they released that as a Petra record. Total fail. Your mileage may vary.
I can't agree with that at all. It's a very well-made album with excellent musicianship, and it won Petra a Grammy, so it can't be that bad (personally, I think Grammys carry more weight than Dove awards which are a joke).

That said, I can't think of any song on the album that I like better than the original, although some I like just as much. My favorites from the album: Dance, Praying Man, Beat the System, and for an original song, The Longing. Everybody goes nuts for Breathe In, but I really don't care for it. For one thing, Pete Orta isn't much of a singer.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:43 pm

I said the production was good. Playing was good. The melodies suck and there is nothing memorable. I can't remember one melody. Grammy's are nominated by industry affiliation. They are bought and sold. So, they look good. They sound good. Someone needed a favor. Grammy's have nothing to do with artist popularity or quality of music. They give Grammy's for recording sound effects and microscopic insect farts.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:26 am

What kind of industry pull could Petra possibly have had at that point in their career?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:49 am

The "pull" of the band has nothing to do with it. It's a boys club. Those who nominate, award and win are those who belong.

It could have been label or producer induced. It could have been someone at the label wanted to nominate Petra because it boosted their or someone's portfolio in that category. When you have a nomination and an award, your value, influence and rate card goes up. There are all kinds of benefits. Simultaneously, someone could have nominated the band to say, "Thanks for you time here at the label". It could have been dual purpose. Who knows? What I do know is, music quality and end-user/fan demand have nothing at all to do with the process.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:31 am

I've always enjoyed "Praying Man" from DT over the original. BTW anyone here Stryper's new live album? It's horrible and a waste of money.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!