Songs that meant nothing to you back then, but today....

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Samson
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All of them!
Pethead since: 1991

Songs that meant nothing to you back then, but today....

Post by Samson » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:06 am

I'm talking about songs that you didn't care for at all 15, maybe 20 years ago, but now, in the present, they have spoken volumes. These are the songs that usually prompted me to hit the skip button, but not anymore:

Inside of You (from Shake)

Altar Ego
Adonai
Beyond Belief
The Invitation
I Can Be Friends With You
Godpleaser
I'm Not Ashamed
All The King's Horses

And the next two have ministered to me so much these past couple of years:
I Need To Hear From You
Just Reach Out
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Re: Songs that meant nothing to you back then, but today....

Post by fiendik » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Wow, you would skip Adonai? That's like most of the album! It's a curious list... some really good songs that should never be skipped, and some that are just weird songs I never hear anyway :) I would skip "I Can Be Friends With You" and "I'm Not Ashamed", but never "All the Kings Horses"
I don't have any past to relate... although there are some songs that I used to listen to three times a day that I only hear about once a month now.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

wiley16350
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1988

Post by wiley16350 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:19 am

I like a wide variety of music and listen to songs for a variety of reasons; because of that I can be very easy to please when it comes to music. If the vocals are good and there is a good melody/beat then I'll probably like it. Every once in awhile a song that I didn't like at first will strike a chord with me and i'll instantly like it. Since Petra is very melodic driven and they have had 2 excellent singers, I find myself liking the majority of their work. For this reason, I haven't experienced an unexpected turn of preference very often. The one that does come to mind is Bema Seat. It went for years without being on my radar and then one day I was listening to it on my computer with the volume up and it just hit me. I had no idea why the song never caught my attention before, it is now one of my favorites. Other than that song, my opinions haven't changed much on Petra songs.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:25 am

Graverobber was too dull and used to mean nothing to me. Now, it is one of the best songs Petra ever released. Also, Speak to the Sky holds a special part in my heart since they were writing about something outside of the typical God themed song.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:37 pm

Interesting question. Let's see...

When I first listened to Washes Whiter Than, I leaned more towards "Magic Mirror" and maybe "Morningstar" as favorites. Didn't care much for the rest of the album, but it has probably reached close to the upper levels in my "ladder" of favorite albums. My favorite songs now are "(Couldn't Find Love) Without You" and probably "Taste and See", not only from the album, but also overall favorites.

Something similar happened with Not of this World, where I gravitated more towards "Bema Seat" and "Pied Piper". I kinda liked "Graverobber", but I don't think I really paid attention to it until I listened to Greg singing it in Farewell. It is easily now on my Petra Top 10, and maybe Top 5.

Probably the whole Back to the Street album, which I really didn't care much for until a year or two ago. Casually, it was back when I made those album polls here in the forum that I paid a bit more attention to it and I warmed up to the songs. It still sits in the average level as far as the whole discography goes, but it certainly improved. "Altar Ego" is probably my favorite from that album.

God Fixation has always been a very uneven album for me. There are several songs that I love a LOT, but then there were others that just left me blank. "Falling Up" was one of those that I usually skipped, but now it's one of my favorites.

I'll shut up now :oops:
0 x