Petra Tour History on Fan Sites ? ...

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Re: Petra Tour History on Fan Sites ? ...

Post by PiedPiper » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:01 am

I remember attending a concert in Maine that was a Greatest Hits tour. I'm not sure of the year, but it was in the 1998-2000 years. Orta was on guitars.
Also, my first concert was either 3/26/92 or 3/26/93 in Boston, MA at the Orpheum Theater with the "Not Ashamed" Newsboys opening.
-PP
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:03 am

I would imagine that the Petra/Newsboys show at the Orpheum in Boston was Mar 26, 1993.

The band's concerts in Bethlehem, PA, on Mar 20 and Binghamton, NY, on Mar 25 of that year both featured Petra, The Newsboys and Nicole C. Mullen, who, at the time, was simply going by her first name.

I checked the Boston Globe online archives for both periods, but got no hits. Of course, a stub would give the year, if that part's not been torn off.

Do you recall if Nicole was in the line-up of the show you saw?
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:38 am

Looks like later, recent Creation Festival dates are on there. I don't see Creation Festival 92 on there. I remember that show because I was disappointed that the live sound was nothing like the studio sound. Creation is always held at the end of June, but I can't give specific dates off the top of my head. I don't know if they were there in 93. They definitely were there in 94. It had to be that year because they played Wake Up Call stuff. I can remember exactly where I was when they launched into Midnight Oil. Creation 95 was rained out, and 96 was relocated. They also played there at least once with the God Fixation lineup. I don't recall a year. I also remember them playing an afternoon set where they did something from Double Take, but that could have been after J&H with Bob back on the road.
I'll see if I can track down some festival lineups. I have some, but I don't think I saved the ones from my first few years.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:49 am

Also, summer of 95, they played the Great Auditorium in Ocean Grove, NJ. I was a big deal because the town was known for its full slate of Christian programming in the summer, but up until that time had been opposed to bringing in Christian rock. It was also a trial run for the Salt Box tour, and my first time seeing Lichens as Bob's replacement. It was an awesome show by both Petra and Whiteheart. It was also one of the few times I've seen a really angry musician. Louie had to stop and reset in the middle of Praying Man, because the rest of the band was out of sync. I guarantee it wasn't his fault.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:38 am

March 27th in Toowoomba Australia was J&H tour, retirement had not been announced. Will make a sticky with changes, people can make suggestion and changes will go in.
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Post by trodLAN » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Thanks Dan! I'll let you know if I get any dates or corrections.
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Post by PiedPiper » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:04 pm

bertgangl wrote:I would imagine that the Petra/Newsboys show at the Orpheum in Boston was Mar 26, 1993.

The band's concerts in Bethlehem, PA, on Mar 20 and Binghamton, NY, on Mar 25 of that year both featured Petra, The Newsboys and Nicole C. Mullen, who, at the time, was simply going by her first name.

I checked the Boston Globe online archives for both periods, but got no hits. Of course, a stub would give the year, if that part's not been torn off.

Do you recall if Nicole was in the line-up of the show you saw?
I only remember seeing Nicole C Mullen open for MWS in Bangor. I'm sure there was another opener, but I was was so awed by our 3rd row seats and my first Petra concert that details have probably been forgotten. I do remember being mostly deaf for an hour or so! I think 1993 is more likely as well.
Side note: The only other concert I saw at the Orpheum was the Squirrel Nut Zippers in 1996 or so, good show.
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:08 pm

[quote="gman"]Also, summer of 95, they played the Great Auditorium in Ocean Grove, NJ. [/quote]

Thanks for that bit of info. Using what you supplied, I was able to find the date of the show in both the New York Times and Allentown (PA) Morning Call newspapers. Keep those new dates coming!

Act(s): Petra, White Heart
Venue: Great Auditorium
Date: Aug 12, 1995

Source: NY Times (08/06/95), Allentown Morning Call (07/23/95)
0 x

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:33 pm

(gman): I don't see Creation Festival 92 on there. I remember that show because I was disappointed that the live sound was nothing like the studio sound. Creation is always held at the end of June, but I can't give specific dates off the top of my head. I don't know if they were there in 93. They definitely were there in 94.

From what I've been able to find on the Google Groups archive, Petra played Creation '92 on Jun 27, 1992, and Creation '94 at some point between the start of the festival on Jun 29, 1994, and the conclusion of the festival on Jul 02, 1994.

So, that gets us the exact date for the band's appearance in 1992 and a rough estimate for their show in 1994.

Great info!
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by trodLAN » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:48 pm

Thanks bertgangl!
Your creation dates have been added to the list!
Do you know the locations?
http://www.johnwschlitt.com/fans/tourlistpetra.htm
0 x

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:19 pm

(TRODLAN) Your creation dates have been added to the list! Do you know the locations?

The Creation Festivals in 1992 and 1994 were held at the Agape Campground in Mount Union, PA.

Thanks for the quick post, Terje, and for maintaining this list. It's looking great!
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by gman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:46 am

Creation Festival gets the blame for billing itself for so many years as located in Mt. Union. In reality the Agape Farm is located in Shirleysburg, PA. Mt. Union is 10 miles away. I guess they went with Mt. Union because you could locate it on a map, and major highways go through there.
0 x

bertgangl
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bertgangl » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:40 am

(gman) Creation Festival gets the blame for billing itself for so many years as located in Mt. Union. In reality the Agape Farm is located in Shirleysburg, PA. Mt. Union is 10 miles away. I guess they went with Mt. Union because you could locate it on a map, and major highways go through there.

I noticed that when I was doing the research. We've listed the 1988, 1992 and 1994 Creation Festivals and the 2013 Creation Northeast Festival as taking place in Mt. Union, while we show the 1999 Creation Festival and 2004 Creation East Festivals at Shirleysburg.

Give the fact that, as you say, the festival takes place at Shirleysburg, we should probably list it as such. Likewise, since a second festival (Creation Northwest) was added in 1998, and the name of the Pennsylvania-based festival was changed from Creation to Creation Northeast, we should probably list the pre-1998 festivals as Creation and the post-1998 festivals as Creation Northeast.

So, I'd propose the following listings:

Jul XX, 1988 – Shirleysburg, PA, Agape Campground (Creation Festival)
Jun 27, 1992 - Shirleysburg, PA, Agape Campground (Creation Festival)
Jun 29-Jul 02, 1994 - Shirleysburg, PA, Agape Campground (Creation Festival)
Jun 26, 1999 - Shirleysburg, PA, Agape Campground (Creation Northeast Festival)
Jun 24, 2004 – Shirleysburg, PA, Agape Campground (Creation Northeast Festival
Jun 29, 2013 – Shirleysburg, PA, Agape Campground (Creation Northeast Festival)

Let me know what you all think, and thanks, again, for the input!
0 x

trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by trodLAN » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:41 pm

I thinks it's a good idea...to correct those dates...
http://www.johnwschlitt.com/fans/tourlistpetra.htm
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:23 pm

p-freak wrote:Unfortunately, petrarocksmyworld.com is in permanent hibernation and guidetopetra.com only very occasionally gets an update. I remember how these two sites where the go-to sites right in the middle of the Petra universe. So whatever happened to MJ and Josh? Never see them on here anymore...
From what I've read, Josh (petrarocksmyworld.com) graduated from college, got a job, got married, had a few kids, and simply no longer had the time or interest in maintaining a fansite. In short, his priorities changed.
0 x