THEY OWNED THE STAGE!!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Re: THEY OWNED THE STAGE!!

Post by cvs2kids » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:39 am

I don't want to see anything out of bobs behind.

There are people that would like to see such a thing, and believe it doesn't stink
there's a joke in there somewhere about a guitarist and a G string, but I'm not that clever.
Now those are images I didn't need going into the week-end. :shock:
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:03 pm

You guys are too much. Now this is the Zone I remember so fondly. :lol:
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:40 am

Shell wrote:You guys are too much. Now this is the Zone I remember so fondly. :lol:
A zone reunion? now all we need is the preacherman!
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:59 am

cvs2kids wrote:
I don't want to see anything out of bobs behind.

There are people that would like to see such a thing, and believe it doesn't stink
there's a joke in there somewhere about a guitarist and a G string, but I'm not that clever.
Now those are images I didn't need going into the week-end. :shock:
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:36 am

Not a reunion per se Dan, but gman's comment and the responses to it made me think of some of the funny threads from the past, from people who haven't posted here for a long time.

And as usual, it strayed off topic a bit. :mrgreen:
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:31 pm

shawnpfan2010 wrote:I was in the office and my wife was in the living room when I played this and she thought John sounded horrible, and I have to agree with her, not his best performance.
I think he sounded fine, but the mix certainly didn't do him any favors. His voice was too "front and center" instead of blending with the instruments, and I wonder, too, if he couldn't hear himself very well in the monitors.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:49 pm

brent wrote:I would love to hear Steve Perry and John Schlitt sing a duet.
That'd be awesome, and Steve Perry's still got it, too.

0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Dan wrote:No Christian and Paul don't have charisma, another time different era... maybe.

Ronny has stated in interview that he wrote to John Schlitt to get the Dream Team back together, he also said that John never got back to him. There may have been a problem with John S and Ronny, because I remember a post on a forum in the late 90's saying that John and Ronny were not on good terms after he left.

John, Bob, Greg & Paul were good for the leg of the Jekyll and Hyde tour, but the way they changed the older songs to fit that more grungy style wasn't fantastic. The way the Dream Team played I am on the Rock was perfect, it was original and brought familiarity. If Paul and Christian are so good they can get work playing with new band or something else because at the moment they are only adding to the demise of a legend, and they are going to have to do something else someday anyway they are are in their early 40's right?

Ideally Dream Team does one more album, a few dates then Petra retires for good.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I wouldn't say they are "adding to the demise of a legend", but rather keeping the legend alive. If John has made one thing clear through the years of Petra service is that the band isn't about the members, but about the ministry, regardless of who's on stage. That has been the truth of Petra all through its 40+ years of ministry, and 20+ members. And I have huge respect for Greg, who has stuck with the band for what now? 13-14 years? That's the fourth longest tenure of any band member, including Ronny and Lawry. People keep on going about the Dream Team and whatnot, and I'm not saying it wasn't cool to see them together, but people need to stop living in the past and move on. They've all moved on and I don't think that reliving past glories is the way to go.

Don't take my reply the wrong way, Dan. It's just that I disagree.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Thief wrote:
Dan wrote:No Christian and Paul don't have charisma, another time different era... maybe.

Ronny has stated in interview that he wrote to John Schlitt to get the Dream Team back together, he also said that John never got back to him. There may have been a problem with John S and Ronny, because I remember a post on a forum in the late 90's saying that John and Ronny were not on good terms after he left.

John, Bob, Greg & Paul were good for the leg of the Jekyll and Hyde tour, but the way they changed the older songs to fit that more grungy style wasn't fantastic. The way the Dream Team played I am on the Rock was perfect, it was original and brought familiarity. If Paul and Christian are so good they can get work playing with new band or something else because at the moment they are only adding to the demise of a legend, and they are going to have to do something else someday anyway they are are in their early 40's right?

Ideally Dream Team does one more album, a few dates then Petra retires for good.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I wouldn't say they are "adding to the demise of a legend", but rather keeping the legend alive. If John has made one thing clear through the years of Petra service is that the band isn't about the members, but about the ministry, regardless of who's on stage. That has been the truth of Petra all through its 40+ years of ministry, and 20+ members. And I have huge respect for Greg, who has stuck with the band for what now? 13-14 years? That's the fourth longest tenure of any band member, including Ronny and Lawry. People keep on going about the Dream Team and whatnot, and I'm not saying it wasn't cool to see them together, but people need to stop living in the past and move on. They've all moved on and I don't think that reliving past glories is the way to go.

Don't take my reply the wrong way, Dan. It's just that I disagree.

No man it's cool to have an opinion! I know what your saying but you have to look at things realistically...Greg Bailey hasn't been with the band 13 years, the band retired 2005... they have done the odd shows since then, and that really doesn't count for 13 years. Petra isn't a ministry, it's a business. When the other guys were in the band back in 1981 to 1993 the band was on the road all year round doing hundreds of dates a year. Just one year from that time frame would be more gigs than 2002 to 2014 combined. If we are to not live in the past we need to get past the Farewell set that is as boring as running tree sap for some of us. I support John Schlitt's solo before the repetition of Farewell.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:30 am

I understand what you're saying, but again, I disagree. We don't grade membership based in the amount of shows played, so if Greg plays 3 shows a year or 200, he's still a member. Even with the "retirement", we all know that they pretty much kept on playing. And that's what makes it more commendable to me, as far as Greg's concerned. Despite not being perhaps the peak of the band's career, he has stuck with the band, which entails rehearsing, traveling, playing. Any other musician would've said "screw this! I'm not wasting my time in a band with no future" and would've gone away to do his thing; and actually that's what some of the past members did. And diminishing his role and contribution to the band through the last 13-14 years saying he's "adding to the demise", well, I don't think it's right.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:35 am

Thief wrote:We don't grade membership based in the amount of shows played
umm yes we do...
Thief wrote:Despite not being perhaps the peak of the band's career, he has stuck with the band, which entails rehearsing, traveling, playing
Rehearsing the new songs? funny stuff.
Thief wrote:Any other musician would've said "screw this! I'm not wasting my time in a band with no future"
If you're playing twice a year there is nothing to quit.
Thief wrote:And diminishing his role and contribution to the band through the last 13-14 years saying he's "adding to the demise", well, I don't think it's right.
well your wrong, how many shows did Greg play in 2006? please stop making up nonsense.

Back on topic no one wants to see this rubbish.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:55 am

Petra is not and has not been an active for a long time. All shows are one offs. They do not tour. They will not tour, unless touring is reclassified and redefined as one show every four to six months. At John shows, John is talking of his past as it is the past. He is talking about his present. He is speaking of Petra being done with recording. If John says their done, they are done.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:02 am

brent wrote:Petra is not and has not been an active for a long time. All shows are one offs. They do not tour. They will not tour, unless touring is reclassified and redefined as one show every four to six months. At John shows, John is talking of his past as it is the past. He is talking about his present. He is speaking of Petra being done with recording. If John says their done, they are done.
I am looking forward to the next Schlitt solo album now that is something that can happen. Brent can you rule out John being on another PDC album? You captured some of John's finest work there.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:37 am

I don't have the money to hire John. That is the reason my vocals are on the second Mechanism album. If I had enough cash, I would have John sing, and the next one would likely be the hardest sounding for him and us. John said he would do another, as long as it did not conflict with whatever he was doing stylistically.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:53 pm

Dan wrote:
Thief wrote:We don't grade membership based in the amount of shows played
umm yes we do...
Thief wrote:Despite not being perhaps the peak of the band's career, he has stuck with the band, which entails rehearsing, traveling, playing
Rehearsing the new songs? funny stuff.
Thief wrote:Any other musician would've said "screw this! I'm not wasting my time in a band with no future"
If you're playing twice a year there is nothing to quit.
Thief wrote:And diminishing his role and contribution to the band through the last 13-14 years saying he's "adding to the demise", well, I don't think it's right.
well your wrong, how many shows did Greg play in 2006? please stop making up nonsense.

Back on topic no one wants to see this rubbish.
I expressed my disagreement in a sensible and polite way, and even said I understand your arguments. But if you choose to call my arguments "rubbish" and "nonsense", instead of continuing the conversation, well yes, there's nothing else to be said.
0 x