John Schlitt's Shake album turns 20 years old.

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Carolina Petra Fan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1993

John Schlitt's Shake album turns 20 years old.

Post by Carolina Petra Fan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:46 am

I bought this album when I was 15. Loved it. I listed to it again this week as I was thinking about the song, Carry the Burden. (Also, when I bought this album, it was the first time I went into a Best Buy store.)
What memories or favorite songs do you have related to this album?
0 x
Carolina Petra Fan

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Re: John Schlitt's Shake album turns 20 years old.

Post by sue d. » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Wow, I didn't realize this until you posted it. 20 years? Oh my gosh....

My biggest memory is seeing John for the first time (solo) down in Milwaukee, WI at "The Light Club" which was a new Christian coffeehouse held in a beautiful placed called Serb Hall. NOT your typical little coffeehouse; no, this place had lights, a stage, tables, and great sound.

We (my 8yr old son and myself) were in the front row, having a great time. John called him up on stage and they sang together - my son wrote about the story, which was published in RELEASE Magazine

A month or so later, we get a package in the mail from RELEASE. Here was John's Word Records press release, a signed photo, and a pre-release cassette of SHAKE. My son and I were so surprised - and thrilled! I have that packet in my collection to this day... little did I know that that event was the beginning...

A few more photos from that night: https://picasaweb.google.com/johnwschli ... WIJohnSolo#
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:32 pm

That's a really cool story and a great memory for your son.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:22 pm

Shake was actually the first album I purchased via mail order from the United States. My dad used to get this mail order catalog by a company called Great Christian Books. They're now christianbook.com. At the time there would always be a few months delay before a US album would be released in Europe. I'd heard about a solo release by John Schlitt and it's wasn't expected to be released in Europe soon, so I decided to order it. Those were the days before internet. We just filled in the order form and sent it via snail mail. And then the long wait starts. You're hoping that your order actually arrives, because you never know. And then after 6-8 weeks you finally receive a package.

I still have the original CD I bought then, but it's quite worn. I handled it too much...
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:45 pm

I bought this back in the day as well and loved it. Still have it somewhere around here; as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it's in my car cause I recently took the dust off of it, and played it again. It was as good as ever. I remember that even though I loved Shake, when Unfit for Swine came out, I sorta gravitated more towards that one and sorta left Shake in the background, so it was pretty cool putting it back in after a while. I think it still holds up pretty well.

My favorite song has always been "Show Me the Way", but the album is full of great, diverse songs.
0 x