Stryper & Petra concert

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
petranite
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Stryper & Petra concert

Post by petranite » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:57 pm

The Stryper camp is the one exploring a possible tour or at least a few dates with Petra. They solicited feedback from fans about the possible pairing. Having worked with both bands I can say for sure that Brent's take on it being a show that would sell is very true and the spiritual impact would be very positive both on the Stryper side and the audience side. The main drawback is that from a stage presence Petra is not on the level of Stryper and they would have to work that side quite a bit in order to hold their own in front of a mainly Stryper fan base crowd that is also very secular and higher demanding of the live experience. This type of pressure I think would be good for the guys in Petra though from a creative experience and the Petra fans would benefit from a fresher show experience instead of a more stale setlist production we have had since the farewell tour. Do not be surprised if Stryper heads out on a short tour with another more well known christian act within the next year supporting them. Which is something they have not done before or at least for years but are exploring now.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:01 pm

You're right - Stryper is/was the one exploring the idea, but so far nothing firm. Talk at this point.

John will be playing with Elefante & a batch of mainstream artists June 20 in Cedar Rapids, IA -- this is in front of a totally mainstream audience, a sort of 'put together your own artists' type of concert: http://www.greatesthits-live.com/

I have no doubt John can work a crowd with the best of them, but you're right - Bob (and even Greg to an extent) would need to 'jazz it up' performance-wise to satisfy the Stryper crowd.

It certainly would be an awesome thing if it comes to pass!
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:54 pm

If they did tour, I'd love to see a completely new setlist. The "Farewell" setlist has tickled fans' ears for far too long.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Yep. Sad to say, the performances aren't very tight and they play the same songs. If they played more, they would play tighter and develop some showmanship. I think they need to add a guitar hero to shake things up with Bob, they could have a thicker sound and cover the solo's the way fans are accustomed to hearing them. I didn't care for the stripped down sound they have had. Some bands, like Rush, have songs written for it. Petra didn't until J&H. They need a harder album to make them comparable to what is out there.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:18 pm

I suppose that the lack of consistent touring makes it convenient for them to stick to a sorta fixed setlist. So I agree that maybe a tour will motivate them to shake things up a bit. That said, they've made their slight changes as the years go by. "Beat the System", for example, was added to their setlist a couple of years ago, I guess.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 pm

As much as I love Petra, I sometimes wish they really had hung it up after Farewell, because seeing them linger on in this way is almost embarrassing.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm sure that most bands would wish their "swan song" was at least this "embarrasing".
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:09 am

And a lot of other bands had the dignity to get out when they were still at the top of their game. I just wish Petra would either go all in with a new album and blistering tour, or just hang it up. This is a band that used to fill arenas. Now they're lucky if they can fill a pavilion at a local fair. And it hurts me to say that, because they're still my #1 favorite band.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Mountain Man wrote:And a lot of other bands had the dignity to get out when they were still at the top of their game. I just wish Petra would either go all in with a new album and blistering tour, or just hang it up. This is a band that used to fill arenas. Now they're lucky if they can fill a pavilion at a local fair. And it hurts me to say that, because they're still my #1 favorite band.
And a lot of other bands that haven't had the "dignity" are still playing, either for money or just for the fun of it. Either way, I don't see myself as the one who chooses when they should hang their spurs. That's their prerogative as musicians, artists, ministers, etc. If they are comfortable and happy with the way things are going now, more power to them. It is selfish to expect artists to retire when WE want to or when WE feel like it. Besides, if just one person is touched by their music and comes to God because of it, shouldn't that be enough to justify their persistence, instead of thinking of past glories? A band like Petra wasn't created to "fill arenas", but to bring the word of Christ through their music, whether it is to a 20,000 people stadium in India or a 20-people youth gathering in Muskegee, Oklahoma.

And speaking of filling arenas, haven't you noticed the musical landscape in the past 10-20 years? Few rock bands are filling arenas nowadays, if any. That has little to do with Petra and more to do with the course of rock music during the last 20 years or so. All kinds of rock bands, from Def Leppard to Survivor, or Poison to Mötley Crüe have been adjusting themselves to smaller and smaller venues since grunge took over in the 90's. I can only imagine it would be harder for a Christian rock band without a heavy machinery behind, so I'm not willing to hold that against them either.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:36 pm

Thief wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:And a lot of other bands had the dignity to get out when they were still at the top of their game. I just wish Petra would either go all in with a new album and blistering tour, or just hang it up. This is a band that used to fill arenas. Now they're lucky if they can fill a pavilion at a local fair. And it hurts me to say that, because they're still my #1 favorite band.
And a lot of other bands that haven't had the "dignity" are still playing, either for money or just for the fun of it. Either way, I don't see myself as the one who chooses when they should hang their spurs. That's their prerogative as musicians, artists, ministers, etc. If they are comfortable and happy with the way things are going now, more power to them. It is selfish to expect artists to retire when WE want to or when WE feel like it. Besides, if just one person is touched by their music and comes to God because of it, shouldn't that be enough to justify their persistence, instead of thinking of past glories? A band like Petra wasn't created to "fill arenas", but to bring the word of Christ through their music, whether it is to a 20,000 people stadium in India or a 20-people youth gathering in Muskegee, Oklahoma.

And speaking of filling arenas, haven't you noticed the musical landscape in the past 10-20 years? Few rock bands are filling arenas nowadays, if any. That has little to do with Petra and more to do with the course of rock music during the last 20 years or so. All kinds of rock bands, from Def Leppard to Survivor, or Poison to Mötley Crüe have been adjusting themselves to smaller and smaller venues since grunge took over in the 90's. I can only imagine it would be harder for a Christian rock band without a heavy machinery behind, so I'm not willing to hold that against them either.
Exactly! Even most current bands today are not filling arenas. I know from sources that the best selling artist in today's market(Taylor Swift) is only filling arenas because they are giving away massive amount of tickets via radio stations, media outlets, and the old fashion way just handing them out on the street corner.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:51 pm

executioner wrote:
Thief wrote:

Exactly! Even most current bands today are not filling arenas. I know from sources that the best selling artist in today's market(Taylor Swift) is only filling arenas because they are giving away massive amount of tickets via radio stations, media outlets, and the old fashion way just handing them out on the street corner.
There are artists filling some arenas. But those people attending the concerts are probably the ones paying for the seats. Some artists aren't filling arenas because their audiences are younger and don't have the cash. Their parents aren't spending like previous generations.

I think the reason why arena seats go unsold is not interest or demand, but ticket costs. We just saw The Rolling Stones. We were not going to see them because floor seats were over $1k a pop, and the first tier off of the floor was selling for $300 to $500. For a passive fan, wanting to go see them before they die only, this was not worth it for me. Instead, we opted to buy $38 a seat tickets. We had to be at Will Call by 6pm, get whatever tickets they handed us, and go in. We thought we were going to get some third left nosebleed seats. We sat in the first floor $300 to $500 seats! It was awesome. I would totally do that again.

We are going to see Rush next week, and Van Halen at the end of the month. We bought cheap seats. We just have too much going on and too many important things to pay for to spend money on shows.
Last edited by brent on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:17 pm

I can't go see Van Halen with DLR fronting the band, he is horrible is every fashion of the word. We went and saw U2 about 2 years ago, was a great show but had the tickets given to us as an anniversary gift and they were $350 per ticket; we were floor right side about half way back. The band was great, the mix was by far the best I've ever heard, and great light show also. I would go see them again but won't pay the money for it.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:33 am

Wow, $350 per ticket? I'm going to see U2 in September and we paid €100 per ticket, that would've been three tickets for us against one for you. And I thought €100 was already ridiculous. I went to Mumford & Sons yesterday and that was only €55 per ticket.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:57 pm

The only band I've paid more than $100 to see was Rush ($120-ish, if I remember correctly) and I was fairly close to the stage. I've seen Dream Theater twice, once for $50 and I was in the 2nd row, and the other was $65 but was during the Gigantour so it included Megadeth, Symphony X, and several other bands. I think the second most expensive concert I've been to was Van Halen (with Sammy) for $95. The others have ranged from $20 (Survivor, Warrant, Tourniquet, Supertones) to $40-ish (Journey, REO Speedwagon, Firehouse, Poison, Nightwish, etc.)
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Yeah, I have paid over $100 to see DT, and it was in a small 1500 seat theater. There wasn't a bad seat in the house. I don't mind paying $100 for shows where three bands play. (ZZ Top, Jeff Beck and Tower of Power). We usually see Styx every year with other bands (REO, Ted Nugent, Def Leopard, etc.) We paid that much for Journey and Steve Miller. In all cases, the tickets were actually less. The parking passes, evil handling and convenience fees (paying for a computer to do what humans used to do, only faster, without the stupidity) pushed the tickets up and over $100.

There are absolutely no Christian bands worthy of that ticket price IMO. I don't know of any Christian bands with the showmanship, stage show, etc and draw to demand it.

If there is something I want to experience, I make the trip. We are driving to Nashville for a reunion of old quartets, and a chance to see several old saints before they exit the planet.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gospel-L ... 0641689501
0 x