Stryper & Petra concert

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Re: Stryper & Petra concert

Post by rexreed » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:06 am

I think John sounds better then ever; It really looked like they were all having fun unlike during the Classic Petra shows.
lol- I went to one of the shows and it kind of a dragged for me, too. Greg sure knows how to kill any momentum with his banter.
Looking at some of the pictures and Petra, especially Bob needs to remember how to look cool. I'm referring to the Stryper/Petra pics where it looks like someone invited their PawPaw to be in the picture (Bob). I know he's older, but rock needs to be cool, not disheveled!
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:03 am

Meh, I couldn't care less about "looking cool". Fashion and "coolness" is completely subjective to what everybody thinks and what others want us to believe. I don't think that's necessary in life or music, much less in Christian music. If fashion gurus suddenly started trending about fishermen hats, then Bob would be "cool". Bah... I do think there has to be a certain attitude to be on stage, and I really wish Bob would be more engaged with the public, but that's not his style and I can accept that. But as long as you have a great frontman like Schlitt, everything will work out. That's also why I appreciated the energy that Lawry brought to the stage as well.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:01 pm

They have different personality types, different ways of dealing with stuff and different takes on things. Bob is quieter, and that quieter personality wrote the majority of the great Petra songs. There's something to be said for not being out to prove anything. John and Greg and more outgoing and like to interact with the audience. They all contribute to the shows in their own way. Dealing with the public definitely has its downside. Bob is probably wise to be cautious. :P :mrgreen:
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them

Post by pmal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:21 am

Fan videos ...

Beat the System

Judas Kiss/Right Place

Jekyll & Hyde

0 x
May the downforce be with you!

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by pmal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:44 am

More fan video, better quality sound ...

Spanish versions of "I Love the Lord" and "I Will Call Upon the Lord"

0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by pmal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:46 am

Just Reach Out

0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by pmal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:48 am

Creed / Lawry's Solos

0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by pmal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:49 am

I Am on the Rock (Partial)

0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by pmal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:53 am

Beyond Belief (Very short clip)

0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:43 am

Any feedback from either of the two bands? I haven't had a chance to look at social media. I watched a few Stryper clips from the show. Like their stuff or not, you must admit they can still flat out go. They are not sloppy in the least.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:45 am

There's the backstage pic...

...and John said during the concert that Stryper was an "awesome band". But other than that, I haven't read any statements from either band about each other's performances.
0 x

Shagg
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back To The Street
Pethead since: 1986

Post by Shagg » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Hey guys, Petra was my first concert back in 1986 on the Back To The Street tour so I have a special place in my heart for them, and for this show.
Here are a couple quotes post concert for you that I've seen:

"Thank you San Juan Puerto Rico for the fabulous time! Always a pleasure to perform for you. Special thanks to our friends in Petra for a wonderful show. Hope to do more with you. See you next time!
- Tim" (Timothy Gaines)

"Stryper rocked tonight. I really enjoyed listening to them. Awesome showmanship great harmonies and great musicianship." - John Lawry
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:15 pm

I have a question that I've been asking myself for a while... is there a particular reason why Petra axed the final bridge on "Creed"? The one that says "I believe he is the Judge of all men, small and great..."

I really liked the way the song broke from there, and how it led to the solo, but they've been cutting it for a long time now. Why? It's not like it would extend the song duration that much.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:19 pm

Many people have been posting on facebook requests for a Stryper/Petra full U.S. tour. Sounds plausible. Any possibility this could happen? Any thoughts, Sue, Brent??
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:21 am

Sue is the resource for all current Schlitt and Petra happenings, not me. If I do know something, it is because someone randomly told me something, or I inquired.

Would this "tour" sell? You bet. It would scratch the itch of fans who want hard rock and metal (Styper) and scratch the itch of those who like what Petra does. Stryper is releasing a new album soon. What better tour to kick this off?

Petra would have to tighten it up a bit, and improve their stage show. Playing more shows concurrently like Stryper would greatly improve Petra's show.

Most importantly, Stryper would benefit from Petra spiritually, on multiple levels. THAT would be the best thing that could happen on that tour, in my not so humble opinion.

Imagine Bob getting some motivation, ideas and tips for writing some harder material? Man, can you imagine a Michael Sweet produced Petra album? YEEEHAAAW! That would be great. Sweet maybe lending some guitar and backing vocals? JMMMMMMHHHHHHHHMMMMMM. Just a thought.
0 x