Petra on CCM United CD

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
haavarddahle
Pethead
Pethead

Petra on CCM United CD

Post by haavarddahle » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:16 am

I have been listening to this cd and is it just me or was Petra`s recording not the best audio compared to the rest on the cd? And also his voice was not the best this day. Plus that he sang the first chorous a bit different than the originals as well.. Anyway, great to listen to this group setting after so many years. Sad that on the video I didn`t see Ronny so much..
Any comments on this?

http://ccmunited.com/

0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: Petra on CCM United CD

Post by Dan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:40 pm

John is 65, give him a break. If you want a mimed performance, try Justin Beber.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Easy Dan...It's just someone's take on a video recording. There are lots of factors to consider with something like this...The audio may not be ideal or any number of things. Singers do have off days now and then. I don't believe they had a opportunity for very much rehearsal either.

I personally think John sounds as good as he did 20+ years ago, but that's just my take too. 8) I'm just glad to hear him sing, and see them doing something together.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:12 pm

Ok, I was out of line sorry.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:21 pm

You have as much right to your opinion as anyone Dan, but I don't think the person who posted the video meant any harm either. Singing voices do change with age. I do think you happen to be right about Justin Bieber. And that is from someone who is usually at least tolerant of teeny bopper no substance nonsense. :lol:
Last edited by Shell on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Sue said John had just returned from a long flight, out of the country if memory serves. He is an old grandpa. But that old grandpa still sings better than some young guys, and better than many of his piers in secular bands, that don't know when to quit.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:41 pm

I think I said it right after that show that it wasn't John's best night. When I saw Petra about 2-3 weeks ago live, he sounded ten times better than in that video.
0 x

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:06 am

I don't see this on iTunes (at least in Canada). Is there any way to buy just the Petra song digitally?
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:09 pm

No downloads available for sale anywhere.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:08 am

If you haven't bought this, and are planning to buy this soon, please make sure you buy the first edition CD or DVD at ccmunited.com.

It looks like they have re-released the project for wider distribution with new cover art, but WITHOUT Petra on the DVD. The new CD version seems to have Petra, but the DVD doesn't. I'm trying to get confirmation of the CD track list. When I'll do I'll post here.

DON'T buy this one if you want Petra: http://www.amazon.com/We-Will-Stand-Var ... y_15_img_y

Buy the version WITH Petra here: http://ccmunited.com/collections/own-we-will-stand
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:49 pm

They axed Petra from the DVD? So much for celebrating the founders of the movement.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:59 pm

After watching the video again, withholding the sentiment towards the band that I have. I can see why it was axed. That is hard for me to admit.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:37 pm

The audio mix certainly did them no favors. I think the performance would have been fine if the sound guy actually knew how to mix a rock band.

The only thing you can hear from Louie is an overly loud snare that sounds more like a "pop" than a "snap", and the occasional symbol. Ronnie's bass is buried and difficult to pick out, and Bob's guitar sounds "mushy'. You can't hear Lawry's keyboard at all. And then there's Schlitt's vocals which sit way out front and don't blend with the music at all. Just a terrible job by the sound engineer.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:33 am

Haha, I like the jumping to conclusions!!

I asked CCM United for the reason. They said that Petra is included on the retail CD, but non on the retail DVD. They say it's a rights issue and that they were not able to get the rights for retail distribution of the Petra song on the DVD. They will keep the first edition DVD with Petra in stock on ccmunited.com.

I'm wondering if it's someone from the band who made this decision. Ronny Cates seemed quite surprised on facebook when someone mentioned that Petra isn't on the retail DVD, so I'm sure not everyone in the band was aware of this rights issue.

I know Bob likes to keep control and he deliberately licensed the Rock & Vida performance only for Argentina, so perhaps the original license agreement with CCM United was for indie distribution through their website. When they wanted a retail version as well, it seems further negotiations only led to inclusion on the CD and not the DVD. But this last part is pure speculation!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Folks, as with all things, it is all about control and money. It's not about ministry. It's about CASH!
0 x