A New Version of "Classic Petra"

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Re: A New Version of "Classic Petra"

Post by Thief » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Without saying much, I think I'm pretty sure it was Slick's decision not to let them use his songs.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:01 pm

dihigo wrote:
brent wrote:I would put money on Slick "sticking' it to the man" more than wanting to cut ties with CCM.
More than likely, Slick got a "real job." I live in Nashville and know many "starving artists" with families to feed. Christian music is a hard road financially (especially when you are a pioneer paving the way for others). Like in The Godfather, Slick was probably made him an offer he couldn't refuse (with benefits) and never looked back. I've heard Bob say that in the early days, all the members worked side jobs. That, I'm sure, gets old real quick while on tour.
He had a real job right before he left. The guy is a genius. He began working for New England Digital, developing and selling synclavier synths. Then he got ino IT, doing heavy duty save the planet type stuff. Synclavier was part of the end of his tenure. There is a story that goes along side of this, and I would drop it. Whatever you speculate is the reason ain't the reason.
Last edited by brent on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:38 pm

brent wrote:
dihigo wrote:
brent wrote:I would put money on Slick "sticking' it to the man" more than wanting to cut ties with CCM.
More than likely, Slick got a "real job." I live in Nashville and know many "starving artists" with families to feed. Christian music is a hard road financially (especially when you are a pioneer paving the way for others). Like in The Godfather, Slick was probably made him an offer he couldn't refuse (with benefits) and never looked back. I've heard Bob say that in the early days, all the members worked side jobs. That, I'm sure, gets old real quick while on tour.
He had a real job right before he left. The guy is a genious. He began working for New England Digital, developing and selling synclavier synths. Then he got ino IT, doing heavy duty save the planet type stuff. Synclavier was part of the end of his tenure. There is a story that goes along side of this, and I would drop it. Whatever you speculate is the reason ain't the reason.
So I did a little digging and found John Slick's LinkedIn page. Among his many accomplishments over the years, he lists "Rock Star" at the start of his professional career with what seems to be a made-up company called, "Vaco JUG." He then writes, "I was responsible for asking too many questions." That's interesting. "Vaco" is Latin for "empty." Empty jug. Hmm...I think I'm beginning to connect the dots here.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:49 pm

He has a unique sense of humor.

I would not build an opinion based on this stuff.
Last edited by brent on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:04 pm

dihigo wrote:Finally, someone's willing to play! :)
pmal wrote:Not that this would ever happen...
Hey, never say never. Some folks said (on this very forum) that Louie Weaver & John Schlitt would never play together on the same stage again!

First of all, I think the only songs that would be selected for this hypothetical project would be songs written by Bob (with exception to "God Gave Rock and Roll to You.") Case in point, all the songs on Back to the Rock were written by Bob with exception to "Let Everything That Hath Breath (Praise the Lord)" and "Back to the Rock" which were written by Greg X. Volz, who was, at the time, in the newly reunited band.

Secondly, I wouldn't be opposed to hearing John sing a few GXV songs. After all, John has been singing "Judas' Kiss," "It Is Finished," and "Beat the System" for many years now.

That being said, here's are the songs I'd like to see on the list:
  • Get Back to the Bible
    Holy Ghost Power
    Why Should the Father Bother?
    Storm Comin'
    Yahweh Love
    Where Can I Go
    Walkin' in the Light
    God Gave Rock and Roll to You
    Taste and See
    Backslidin' Blues
    Come and Join Us
    Gonna Fly Away
Hey, I just found a II Guys from Petra video where John sings "Why Should the Father Bother?". The song begins @ 47:42.

0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:52 pm

I found some funny wild speculation here: http://www.thepetrazone.net/viewtopic.p ... e&start=15 so thought I'd offer some perspective. This is unimportant old history, but maybe entertaining reading for those who can't sleep.

ASSERTIONS
various users wrote:
  • 1) I know for a fact that... Mark & Greg wanted to include "Not By Sight" but Bob couldn't get the rights to it.
  • 2) ... Slick wasn't willing to let them use it for less than a certain amount of $$...
  • 3) ...Slick didn't want to let them use it at all, which would fit with the way he has avoided claiming his Petra history.
  • 4) The other subject between Slick and Petra I don't think is a personal dispute just that Slick wants nothing to do with the CCM machine...
FACTS
1) That is not a fact; it's wild speculation. If they had wanted to use the song, they had only to record it. Like most songwriters, I signed the publishing rights to Starsong and then I had no further say in whatever would happen with it later.

2) Wild speculation. No one ever contacted me about re-recording my crummy songs. :lol:

3.1) I would have loved for them to re-record my song; more royalties in the mailbox.
As my old friend Gary S. Paxton said, "Ya gotta get them oil pumps out there pumpin' away!"

3.2) I never avoided claiming Petra history. But, I post comments on Youtube with a pseudonym because I don't want to be searchable by name. I don't like being too public. I hate faKebook, never use it, don't have a twitter account... I don't even have a smart phone. I use a junk flip-phone. :lol:

4.1) There was not a personal dispute leading to my departure, rather, a very unfortunate misunderstanding which never was fully discussed or resolved. I might write about that sometime, but I have nothing negative to say about anyone.

4.2) I had nothing against the "CCM machine", although I can understand how people would. All I wanted to do was become a better songwriter, a better musician, make records, and be a useful part of our Christian initiative.

Here endeth the sermon.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:00 pm

My reply about sticking it to the man over cutting ties with CCM was a response to all of the speculation. Renouncing your history and ties with CCM wouldn't make any sense. If it had to be one or the other, you would have to make it about the money, IF that were an issue. I have stated here many times that Mr Greene (former EMI CCM attorney who handled leasing assets) told me EMI owned everything from the Star Song days, and had most of the pressing masters. None of the multi-tracks were said to exist, since all of the studios are gone. But, there have been a couple of halves of pairs that have popped up on eBay. Greene said that they were working on converting everything for digital download. EMI had no interest in making physical copies of anything, audio or video. Especially video because of the cost. They were willing to lease masters as long as they did not have a competing product in the wings. Of course, those greedy bastages would steal any good idea from you first. If something was not on the DVD, it might have been a money or time thing, but it would have been for other reasons.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Personally, I am tired of all of the re-release Petra music from the labels. The band doesn't make anything from it really. The best way to support artists is for them to play live, and you to put cash in their hands. If you do buy CDs, buy them from the artists website directly. If Petra plays live again, I would hope they would change their set list a bit.

Classic Petra was great while it lasted. I wish they would have included more songs and maybe done another record. I also wished they would have done the Gaither Homecoming thing, sucked it up, gotten everyone together in one room, and had everyone play their music. That would have been great.
0 x

jmslick

Post by jmslick » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:49 pm

brent wrote: I have stated here many times that Mr Greene (former EMI CCM attorney who handled leasing assets) told me EMI owned everything from the Star Song days, and had most of the pressing masters.
I didn't know anything about that, so maybe there really was talk of using Not By Sight, but having no access permissions.
Thanks for the info.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:55 pm

jmslick wrote:
brent wrote: I have stated here many times that Mr Greene (former EMI CCM attorney who handled leasing assets) told me EMI owned everything from the Star Song days, and had most of the pressing masters.
I didn't know anything about that, so maybe there really was talk of using Not By Sight, but having no access permissions.
Thanks for the info.

Yeah its true, but they had no access to the song; I'm not sure who had/has rights but for some reason its was either denied or just too much trouble to get it done.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

PetFanSA
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by PetFanSA » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi all! Greetings from South Africa! I've been following the Zone for a few years now. One song I have really wanted to hear John sing is "Without You I would surely die". When I listen to the original, just by the song structure, I can easily hear the current lineup (or even the dream team) playing it. Although Hough wrote it, I can imagine it being on one of the Elefante-produced arena rock albums. In my "mind's ear" I can hear John's vocals and Lawry's rapid-fire keyboard work. I know GHF still plays it and I have told Bill Glover if they do it at a future Pethead convention, they should get John (if he's there) to do guest vocals on that song, just once, for fun.
0 x

jmslick

Post by jmslick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:18 pm

executioner wrote:
jmslick wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Yeah its true, but they had no access to the song; I'm not sure who had/has rights but for some reason its was either denied or just too much trouble to get it done.
That's the down side of signing songs to a publisher. You never have any further control, other than to pitch the song yourself, when the publisher is not. In mid-80's I co-wrote a ballad and signed it with MTM publishing here in Trashville. After a while, I took a tape of the song over to the engineer who was recording a new Ronnie Milsap album. We checked back later, and he said "It's a great song, but we already cut all our slow songs." Maybe he was just being polite, but that song would have been a perfect Milsap ballad. That's the last I ever heard of it. Although, I recently noticed a Vince Gill song (Nobody Answers) which was similar. I guess my song idea was not so unique anyway.
1 x