Best John Schlitt performance on record.

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Best John Schlitt performance on record.

Post by Boray » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:59 am

So where is the secret Petra acronym code book on sale?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:40 pm

Bwuhahahahahahahaha. Right on BG!
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:40 am

I think you'll find it right next to CITAS vs CITS: A Complete Guide to the Ongoing Controversy.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:19 am

I think I should clarify some stuff. My favorites from WUC are "He's Been in My Shoes", "Believer in Deed", "Praying Man", "Marks of the Cross", and "Just Reach Out". Those are softer sounding rock songs than those they released in the prior albums and, while that is cool and I really like those songs, the first two in particular, they are not my favorite style of music. My point wasn't to derail the thread, although it turned out that way. I think John's performance on this record is great! It's just that the type of songs and type of vocals that I normally like (hard rock) don't match up with the big rock anthems on this album (Midnight Oil, Sleeping Giant, Underneath the Blood) due to all of the extra background vocals and, my word, "distractions". What I mean is, it's just personal taste. I'd rather have the soloist be the main focus, not electronics, a large group of voices singing, or what have you. I didn't like it when it was new and I don't think it's held up over time. I think, however, I should say that without a doubt that, as the old saying goes "Beggars can't be choosers", I would happily buy a new album in that style today if they would record it. :)
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:56 am

Producers are always looking at what sells and what will be the next big thing. The hardest part of recording is knowing when to stop adding stuff. Everyone is guilty of it at some point as artists evolve through different genres.

I don't think backing vocals and such are a distraction. I love all of that stuff. But, if the song is a good song, it can be stripped down and stand on it's own. Petra has many songs like that. Now that I have lived with J&H for so long, I think it is now too stripped down. It needs just a little texture and spatial harmonies. But not too much. I love the vocal mix on J&H. Listen to all of the classics in history from AC/DC. The vocal is not out front. In rock, it should sit in a pocket, so the whole sound comes from one front. It just sounds tougher that way. Put it out front and the vocals turn the song into pop or arena rock. You can hear how the vocal mixes have changed with Petra from their evolution from dorky, cheesy 70s through 80s techno rock and the Def Leppard sound, then through the end with J&H. You can REALLY hear it with country as it has evolved from traditional swing to rap.
0 x