Possible reunion with Volz?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
John Boy
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Possible reunion with Volz?

Post by John Boy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 pm

First of all, I'd like to say I'm glad I FINALLY got an account to The Petra Zone. Thank you for making me part of the family. Now allow me to address my subject. Over the weekend, I saw a picture of Greg X. Volz with a guy from a church in Pittsburgh, Kansas. Greg performed at that church. Someone asked the other guy if there would be another Petra tour. He said Greg mentioned something about how it might happen. Have any of you longtime Petheads with connections heard anything? I have NEVER seen Petra live. I was supposed to see them in Branson, Missouri years ago. That was the ONE show that got cancelled due to legal reasons. I would love for Greg to reunite with Bob, Louie, John, and Mark and tour one more time. I will find a way to see them no matter where they play.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Re: Possible reunion with Volz?

Post by dihigo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:26 am

I recently heard Greg say, "Never say, 'Die.' No. You've come too far to turn back now. Give it one more try, and He'll help you through."
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:50 pm

I would be shocked if it happened due to some of the things that went on on the last Classic Petra tour. I know enough to know that things didn't end to well between some members, but you never know hearts & attitudes can change. BTW I really don't see Bob going on some type of long tour, he seems to fine doing a few dates a year.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Sounds like there is some confusion, Classic Petra has been and gone... 2012 - 2013.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:28 pm

They seemed to do a pretty good tour compared to the current Petra.
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:47 pm

Yes they were a lot more popular.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:24 pm

They drew more people IIRC, did bigger shows, because there had been time to build demand. The current version has been in and out of retirement so many times, that there has been no chance to miss them.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 pm

John Boy wrote:First of all, I'd like to say I'm glad I FINALLY got an account to The Petra Zone. Thank you for making me part of the family. Now allow me to address my subject. Over the weekend, I saw a picture of Greg X. Volz with a guy from a church in Pittsburgh, Kansas. Greg performed at that church. Someone asked the other guy if there would be another Petra tour. He said Greg mentioned something about how it might happen. Have any of you longtime Petheads with connections heard anything? I have NEVER seen Petra live. I was supposed to see them in Branson, Missouri years ago. That was the ONE show that got cancelled due to legal reasons. I would love for Greg to reunite with Bob, Louie, John, and Mark and tour one more time. I will find a way to see them no matter where they play.
You know this has already happened, right?
0 x

John Boy
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983

Post by John Boy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:11 pm

Brent, I am unsure about your question. I know about the whole Classic Petra reunion that started back in 2010. I know about the tour they did because I had a ticket to the Branson show but didn't get to go due to a dishonest preacher. I also know about Greg being in Pittsburgh, Kansas the past weekend because I saw it on the church's website. Greg sang last Saturday night and shared some stuff Sunday morning. I saw a picture of Greg with one of the church people on Facebook. Someone asked the guy if there were any future Petra plans to which Greg said there is some discussion about a possible tour. So, having read that, I decided to join The Petra Zone to ask some of the Petheads that have been on here for many years and sometimes have some inside information. I understand some stuff went on behind the scenes which led to no more new music or touring. A person can always pray and have hope that things will change and that line-up will do something again.

I've been a Petra fan since 1985. I was nine years old when my much older cousins turned me on to Petra. I didn't know "Christian Rock" existed until that point. The only Christian music I had heard was in church and from my uncle and mother who used to sing together. Lots of Statler Brothers and Rambos Gospel music. Petra changed everything for me. The MORE POWER TO YA line-up, then John Lawry, then John Schlitt, then Ronny Cates are my favorite line-ups. I was excited when the BEYOND BELIEF line-up performed on CCM United although I was upset their song was shortened while others got to sing two or three songs in their entirety. As for some of the rest of the line-ups, I'm not a huge fan especially if there aren't keyboards. The songs sound a little empty. That's a different topic. Anyway, I was excited to hear a possibility of Volz teaming up with other Petra members for more stuff, so I decided to ask if any of the experts on this forum knew anything. I'd be happy if the BB line-up did something.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:01 pm

Got it. I didn't know if you had caught wind of something that happened before 2010.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:11 pm

John Boy wrote:Brent, I am unsure about your question. I know about the whole Classic Petra reunion that started back in 2010. I know about the tour they did because I had a ticket to the Branson show but didn't get to go due to a dishonest preacher. I also know about Greg being in Pittsburgh, Kansas the past weekend because I saw it on the church's website. Greg sang last Saturday night and shared some stuff Sunday morning. I saw a picture of Greg with one of the church people on Facebook. Someone asked the guy if there were any future Petra plans to which Greg said there is some discussion about a possible tour. So, having read that, I decided to join The Petra Zone to ask some of the Petheads that have been on here for many years and sometimes have some inside information. I understand some stuff went on behind the scenes which led to no more new music or touring. A person can always pray and have hope that things will change and that line-up will do something again.

I've been a Petra fan since 1985. I was nine years old when my much older cousins turned me on to Petra. I didn't know "Christian Rock" existed until that point. The only Christian music I had heard was in church and from my uncle and mother who used to sing together. Lots of Statler Brothers and Rambos Gospel music. Petra changed everything for me. The MORE POWER TO YA line-up, then John Lawry, then John Schlitt, then Ronny Cates are my favorite line-ups. I was excited when the BEYOND BELIEF line-up performed on CCM United although I was upset their song was shortened while others got to sing two or three songs in their entirety. As for some of the rest of the line-ups, I'm not a huge fan especially if there aren't keyboards. The songs sound a little empty. That's a different topic. Anyway, I was excited to hear a possibility of Volz teaming up with other Petra members for more stuff, so I decided to ask if any of the experts on this forum knew anything. I'd be happy if the BB line-up did something.
From your words it could mean the John Schlitt or the Classic Petra version because he did seem to be very vague in his response. I will say I think there is more of a chance to be "a dream team" version before "a classic" version, but I think both are not likely. I know after the Petra/Stryper show this summer that Michael Sweet approached Bob & John about maybe doing a tour in 2016 but at the time it sounded like Petra was not interested. I will say as of now that Stryper still seems interested, but haven't heard anything at all from Petra's end since the initial discussion. Back in the summer 2012 Skillet talked to Classic Petra about opening up for them on about 25 dates in early 2013, but Classic Petra declined do to the fact that John Lawry had already told the band he would tour only until the end of 2012 and that was it.
When the dream team did the CCM show artists & industry insiders were really impressed with Petra with Cates & Lawry both saying on facebook that they were in on doing something more if the other three were but I've never seen or heard anything else since then.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:27 pm

I heard this too - and he's vague because it sounds like GXV is still trying to hold on to some hope of some kind of reunion... but his statement has no basis in fact. There hasn't been any talk at all from what I know. Bob is happy with his work at his church, and really has little to no desire to do any touring. John is doing his own career, though he's available for Petra if the band needs him.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:06 am

I think they should call it a day. Let the fans have their memories. Memories are generally better than seeing something forced and contrived on stage. Who wants to go to a family reunion with multiple divorced couples and their current spouses, acting like nothing happened, faking smiles for a photograph. That is what it would be like.
0 x