John Slick

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

Do you think the guy posting as jmslick actually is the former Petra member?

Yes, no doubt about it
73%
I'm not sure
18%
I doubt it. Probably some trolling Petra fan
No votes
Now way, it's a fabricating imposer
9%

Total votes: 11

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Re: John Slick

Post by Boray » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:32 am

Ok, so you really are John Slick. Great!

I have not read everything that you have posted here but what made me wonder (and mark "I'm not sure" in my own poll) was:

#1: That you said you only had listened to the three Petra albums you appear on. That's very odd to me. If I were to start playing in a group that had released albums before, I would at least listen to their previous album(s).

#2: That you used the strange Petra album acronyms (found in the secret Petra acronym code book) that only true die-hard Petra fans use - because they discuss the albums on forums all the time. That made me wonder: Is this a banned member of the forum having some fun. And writing the full names on a computer keyboard is nothing a computer engineer think is a difficult task or time consuming.

#3: The avatar. A perfect avatar for a joker who is... full of shit.

#4: Anyone can claim they are someone else on an anonymous forum like this one where you don't even have to show your email address or anything. And there are sick people out there, not just Slick people.

I hope you didn't feel offended by the poll (from a software engineer and musician to another).
0 x

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:27 pm

dihigo wrote:
jmslick wrote:Does anyone know what this thing is?
I found a video that perfectly explains exactly what this thing is.

That's pretty creative, and funny too. I think the only word he left out is unobtainium.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Just because someone is in a band, doesn't mean they have to like or even listen to pre or post work. The band was not even the same. The songs were not even the same. The producers were not the same. Louie is even on record saying Petra was not really Petra until the MPTYA album. That group symbolizes Petra most to him. I would imagine that is what John is saying.

It is a musician thing. Being in a band is like having a girlfriend or marriage. When you date a chick, you don't go back and study everything about the previous relationship and admire the guy before you. Nor do you give two craps about the guy who followed you. The chick was a different person and the relationship was very different with those before you, during your tenure and after you.

There are lots of musicians, Christian and secular, who have just quit playing altogether after they had a nice run, because it was too much BS, not fulfilling artistically, financially or emotionally.
0 x

jmslick

Post by jmslick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Boray wrote:Ok, so you really are John Slick. Great!

I have not read everything that you have posted here but what made me wonder (and mark "I'm not sure" in my own poll) was:

#1: That you said you only had listened to the three Petra albums you appear on.

#2: That you used the strange Petra album acronyms (found in the secret Petra acronym code book)

#3: The avatar. A perfect avatar for a joker who is... full of shit.

#4: Anyone can claim they are someone else on an anonymous forum

I hope you didn't feel offended by the poll (from a software engineer and musician to another).
Not offended at all. I too am highly skeptical by nature.

Responses, in order:
#1 I really have never listened to any other Petra stuff, because I had no interest, or perhaps, didn't want to be more disappointed with my departure from the band.

However, since I've been posting here for a week, I have actually listened to: 30 seconds of J&H song; brief segments of CP's Second Wind; 10 seconds of a Petra praise song; all of the BTS single song video on youtube; Schlitt's testimony, and a few interviews with other classic Petra people.

I just never had any interest in following Petra albums. After I left, I really didn't want to think about it anymore for deeply personal reasons. And you can interpret that any way you like.

#2 I never heard of a Petra book of acronyms, but they are obvious from reading posts on this blog.

#3 The avatar is "Meatwad", from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, a really lame cartoon on TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3MiZ938yJc
I could not find anything else which I like which would fit the 5Kbyte limit and size requirements.

I wondered how long it would be, before someone asked about the avatar.

#4 Using an alias is good practice.
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:32 pm

jmslick wrote:Responses, in order:
#1 I really have never listened to any other Petra stuff, because I had no interest, or perhaps, didn't want to be more disappointed with my departure from the band.

However, since I've been posting here for a week, I have actually listened to: 30 seconds of J&H song; brief segments of CP's Second Wind; 10 seconds of a Petra praise song; all of the BTS single song video on youtube; Schlitt's testimony, and a few interviews with other classic Petra people.

I just never had any interest in following Petra albums. After I left, I really didn't want to think about it anymore for deeply personal reasons. And you can interpret that any way you like.
So this begs the question, did you ever listen to any of Greg's solo stuff after his departure from the band?
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

jmslick

Post by jmslick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:29 pm

dihigo wrote: So this begs the question, did you ever listen to any of Greg's solo stuff after his departure from the band?
Short answer: no, I had no interest, but that is not to be construed with a negative connotation.

I started to write a long reply, and it got so complicated that I decided to save it to a file and work on it later.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:54 pm

jmslick wrote:I started to write a long reply, and it got so complicated that I decided to save it to a file and work on it later.
So just how many of those "I'll work on this and post it later" files do you have squirreled away on your computer?
0 x

jmslick

Post by jmslick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
jmslick wrote:I started to write a long reply, and it got so complicated that I decided to save it to a file and work on it later.
So just how many of those "I'll work on this and post it later" files do you have squirreled away on your computer?
3 or 4, I guess.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:29 pm

For some reason I was picturing dozens of half completed posts saved as text files. I couldn't tell you why.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:57 pm

We found some of those sort of files on a computer once... they make good reading for the next person who uses it :)
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:56 pm

This thread reminded me of the whole "is Edward really Brent" question from several years back. Say, how is Edward these days?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Last I heard, Ed is nursing a bad hernia.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Poor thing...
0 x