Mark Kelly NOTW

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987

Mark Kelly NOTW

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:59 pm

Hello,responding to a previous post about Mark playing on NOTW. I e-mailed JDB about it, ( he replied within 2 hours), he said Mike Brignardello came in to do a post production "fix patch" and that was it. I am a big Mark Kelly fan, he inspired me to learn bass. I would take him over Ronny any day...no offense to Ronny, just my taste...
0 x

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Re: Mark Kelly NOTW

Post by jmslick » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:00 pm

Rusty wrote:Hello,responding to a previous post about Mark playing on NOTW. I e-mailed JDB about it, ( he replied within 2 hours), he said Mike Brignardello came in to do a post production "fix patch" and that was it. I am a big Mark Kelly fan, he inspired me to learn bass. I would take him over Ronny any day...no offense to Ronny, just my taste...
I never heard of that, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. We recorded NOTW in Texas, then drove back to Trashville. Brigs lived in Trashville then, probably still does. I used to sessions with him in mid-80's. I don't recall that JDB came to Trashville with the masters, but who knows.

On "All Over Me", there's a ii-half-dim-7 chord just before the V+7. Mark always played a V on that ii, and when I pointed it out, he was, uh... not pleased :evil: . I mentioned to JDB that maybe they could fix it, but it never was fixed or patched. So, either JDB forgot about it, or he liked the contrast. It doesn't sound bad, just basically makes the V+7 be a very discordant V7-9 11.

Either way, it's a good tune.
Attachments
Bass02.jpg
Bass02.jpg (115.3 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:50 pm

Yeah, JDB told me something similar. I was under the impression that this guy played all of the bass on NSD for some reason. Too many nights in the roadhouse....
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:17 pm

jmslick wrote:On "All Over Me", there's a ii-half-dim-7 chord just before the V+7. Mark always played a V on that ii, and when I pointed it out, he was, uh... not pleased :evil: . I mentioned to JDB that maybe they could fix it, but it never was fixed or patched. So, either JDB forgot about it, or he liked the contrast. It doesn't sound bad, just basically makes the V+7 be a very discordant V7-9 11.
I only understand about 10% of this paragraph.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:43 am

that's about 5% more than I understood :)
0 x

jmslick
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:43 pm

jmslick wrote:On "All Over Me", there's a ii-half-dim-7 chord just before the V+7. Mark always played a V on that ii, and when I pointed it out, he was, uh... not pleased :evil: . I mentioned to JDB that maybe they could fix it, but it never was fixed or patched. So, either JDB forgot about it, or he liked the contrast. It doesn't sound bad, just basically makes the V+7 be a very discordant V7-9 11.

Either way, it's a good tune.
He didn't really play a "wrong note".
Attachments
wrongnote-02.jpg
wrongnote-02.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:01 pm

JMS what is the pic of the broken bass guitar? just a random find?
0 x