The Union Of Sinners And Saints - Autographed Limited Edition 12" Vinyl LP

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

The Union Of Sinners And Saints - Autographed Limited Edition 12" Vinyl LP

Post by HudsonPethead » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am

Every Whiteheart and Petra fan will want this 12" vinyl collection that includes the Unplugged Medley, Brother to Brother, Old Guys Rule, Rise Up, Independence Day, Bittersweet and Beyond Belief. Every copy personally autographed. $29.00 after official December 1 release. PRE-ORDER NOW FOR $5.00 DISCOUNT.

https://theunionofsinnersandsaints.band ... and-saints

0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Re: The Union Of Sinners And Saints - Autographed Limited Edition 12" Vinyl LP

Post by dihigo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:56 pm

I was really hoping this “unplugged” medley was going to be the first teaser off the band’s second album.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Do people buy vinyl to actually play it, or just to have it as a collector's item?
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 pm

sue d. wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 pm
Do people buy vinyl to actually play it, or just to have it as a collector's item?
Since it's autographed (and "limited"), it's mostly just a collector's item. Some people will play it just to say they did, some people will not play it just to say they didn't. I'd probably play it 8)
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 am

I'll probably play it.
I have few vinyls here, but I use to play them.
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:23 am

For me it's a collector's item and I probably won't be playing it.

The problem with new vinyl is that sound and pressing quality is not consistent. I've had so many defective, damaged and badly pressed new records that I'm not interested in actually playing any of them anymore, also because the CD or download (even at only 320kbps mp3) will give a much better sound experience.

Bad time to be a collector of contemporary vinyl because artists/labels keep churning it out as one of the latest milk cows. Make it limited edition and exclusive and more people will jump on board. I fall for that every time :lol:
0 x

Adonai
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 2007

Post by Adonai » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Both. Personally, I love vinyl. The sound quality tends to be better on the older ones. However, p-freak is right. Newer vinyl is often pressed with a low quality music format. When I buy new vinyl, it is normally just as a collector's item.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:38 am

Has anyone received theirs yet? I got an email on December 6 saying it would ship that week, but haven't heard anything after that, so I'm not sure if it actually shipped.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:24 am

p-freak wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:23 am
...because the CD or download (even at only 320kbps mp3) will give a much better sound experience.
Only 320kbps? Many people consider 320kbps to be overkill for MP3. The sweet spot for MP3 is a VBR encode in the 175 to 245kbps range with studies showing this to be "transparent" to the majority of listeners, meaning indistinguishable from the original recording. There are differences, of course, but only people with the very best ears listening on the very best equipment under the very best conditions can discern them, and even that's not a given.

Of course this hasn't stopped me from taking on the daunting task of re-ripping my entire CD collection into FLAC, which is a lossless compression codec that produces files identical to the CD originals. The benefit of FLAC is that you don't lose any information in the compression process making it a great archival format, and in the event that I become squeezed for space on my portable player (a Rockboxed iPod Classic 160GB), I can always convert the FLAC files to a space-friendly format like MP3 or OGG.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:41 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:24 am
Only 320kbps? Many people consider 320kbps to be overkill for MP3.
In comparison to wav or flac, 320 kbps mp3 is only. Mind you, I usually listen to mp3 at 192 kbps, since I don't have the drive space to back up my entire music collection in flac or wav, and I'm not really an audiophile. If you use lowsy earplugs it doesn't help to have wav/flac quality files.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:08 am

p-freak wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:41 am
Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:24 am
Only 320kbps? Many people consider 320kbps to be overkill for MP3.
In comparison to wav or flac, 320 kbps mp3 is only.
In theory, yes. Based on what the average person is able to perceive, not so much, assuming all other things are equal.

That said, I did hear a noticeable improvement in my Petra collection going from MP3 to FLAC, but that's most probably due to the fact that those were some of the very first albums I ripped to MP3 nearly two-decades ago, and MP3 compression algorithms, and my own understanding of the format, have greatly improved since then. However, I recently did an informal A/B test between a FLAC file and a VBR 256kbps MP3, and I honestly couldn't hear the difference even when I was actively listening for it. The differences were there, of course, but I couldn't hear them. Still, as long as I have the space for it, I'm going to stick with FLAC because psychologically, I like knowing that there is no compromise in the sound quality, and it's true gapless, so I can listen to Captured in Time and Space without that annoying half-second pause between every track.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:01 am

Received my copy today, and I dread playing it. This is a mint record but I can see all kinds of uneven bit on the vinyl and a few possible manufacturing defects. That the trouble with pressing plants nowadays. Long queues for the good ones, and the ones that offer quick pressing always do a lowsy job.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:35 pm

There's a shortage of pressing plants, too many crappy ones, and it's going to drive the prices up. The lack of good plants with good vinyl mastering engineers, and the long delivery times might quench the growth of the trend.

I would be interested in lining up a digitized copy of the LP with digital download, to compare frequency response, wow, S/N and channel separation.

Last year, vinyl topped all physical media sales. Those dollars are still low, but they show some hope. Streaming is still the dominant source of music, but people are starting to learn that owning music is best, because artists and catalogs will not always be available to stream, and streaming requires internet access. Some people don't have reliable service, or enough bandwidth to stream reliably. Is vinyl the answer? No. But it might spur a new disruptive physical media technology. Whatever it is, it will need to be something akin to SD cards. Maybe it will be SD cards. It can't be USB or USB related. Too many variables in manufacturing and compatibility. It needs to be something out of the hands of the RIAA attorneys.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:05 pm

CD is still a viable format. There's no need to reinvent the wheel with a new physical format like SD cards or whatever. The cost of implementing that would be significant since entirely new manufacturing facilities would have to be created. Vinyl is having a resurgence for reasons I can't explain, but if the quality continues to be crap then I suspect it will be short-lived, and I doubt there's enough money in it for anybody to put serious effort into creating quality pressings.
0 x