Third Day

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Third Day

Post by Tutor23 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:02 pm

Can any of you Third Day fans recommend to me your favorite 3-5 songs? I am not that familiar with them, but I'd like to get a handful of their best songs for my Mp3 player.
Thanks!
Andy from Indiana
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Third Day

Post by gman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:54 pm

wow. I really like their version of These Thousand Hills and Agnus Dei, although they are not Third Day songs originally. I also like 40 Days, and I think Consuming Fire off of their first album stands up as one of their best songs over time. I must confess though, I think some of their newer stuff qualifies as stink set to music. I'm not a Third Day expert either because I only have their first album. They are great live, but I haven't hada strong desire to get their albums. Maybe it's the whole stink set to music thing. I guess also, I never really got the award for Mac Powell as male vocalist of the year.

GMan
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:40 pm

I personally feel like all their songs sound the same. They never really go farther the the 2 chord guitar playing and when they do(live) it sounds really bad. I never really got their sound and think it is for simple minded musicans.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

well...

Post by gman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:16 pm

I guess that's why I like Consuming Fire and few of their other songs. They a little deeper musically than a lot of their stuff.
I didn't get much into Big Tent Revival for the same reason. They did simple decent enough to get e record deal, with an occassional song done well. It's a rare artist that can take simple and turn it into a masterpiece.

GMan
0 x

micah
Site Admin

Post by micah » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Not the biggest Third Day fan, but these are pretty good:

Just To Be With You
Praise Song
King of Glory
These Thousand Hills
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Re: i

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:13 am

executioner wrote:I personally feel like all their songs sound the same.
Same here.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:04 am

Third Day used to be an excellent band, until they happened to end up in the center of mainstream christian music. This happened around the time the first Offerings album. Before that they had some excellent albums. A few songs from the first few albums that I really like:

Southern Tracks EP (4 songs, the best work Third Day ever did)
Nothing At All (Rock Remix from Alien CD single)
Alien (from Conspiracy no. 5)
Your Lord, Oh Lord (from Time)
You're Everywhere (from Offerings)
Peace (from Conspiracy no. 5)

All the later albums have a few nice songs per album, but it's all rather bland. I've seen them live only once, but it was quite disappointing. It was too smooth. The southern rock sound from their first few albums has totally disappeared in their later work. It has become too CCM.
0 x

Mexican Spud
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mexican Spud » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:21 am

I agree p-freak. After the first offerings they lost there punch. Time is there best CD with the Southern Tracks. That is just my opinion. Hopefully when they tour with DecembeRadio they will see how they were in the begining and go back to that
0 x
[url=http://www.therightplace.bz/][img]border="0"%20width="577"%20height="109"src="http://www.therightplace.bz/images/downloads/Banners/TheRightPlace_577X109.gif"[/img][/url]

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:28 pm

As a simple-minded musician, three songs immediately come to mind. "Blackbird," the bands' open letter to the Black Crowes, is probably my favorite. "Consuming Fire" is next, and on a personal level, "Thief" means a lot to me.

All from their eponymous debut album.

Their second album is not bad, and with a couple exceptions, they begin to lose their way with "Time."
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

krazykanuk
Pethead
Pethead

Post by krazykanuk » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:54 pm

My favourite five Third Day songs are:

Praise Song (Third Day)
Gomer's Theme (C#5)
Agnus Dei/Holy (Offerings)
Thief (Third Day)
Show Me Your Glory (Come Together)