guitar praise

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
biggestfan
Pethead
Pethead

guitar praise

Post by biggestfan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:05 pm

http://www.familyfriendlygaming.com/New ... raise.html
as you can see, one of the featured artists in this new game is Petra. Any idea what songs they'll have?
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Another Christian ripoff. It's really tough to be a light in the world when all you do is copy their financially successful ideas.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

johnathan
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1972

Post by johnathan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:37 pm

when I first heard of Petra I was like what a ripoff. Why do they have to play rock like the secular guys? OOPS I wear Nike i should make my own brand,I will not appoligize about this one. You just seem against alot of things on the Zone.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:35 am

I'm against Christians ripping off of secular trends. Not just because they tend to do it for purely financial gain, but also because it ends up being a cheapened version of what is already available and it makes Christians look like they are too stupid to come up with any of their own ideas.

Rock music isn't really a trend. Boy bands were, however. Christianity also tried to cash in on the popularity of Magic: The Gathering with Redemption. Mainstream music had Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson? Christian music counters several years later with Stacie Orrico and Rachel Lampa. Even many Christian t-shirts with "witty" sayings borrow from already popular catch phrases. It's bad enough that Christianity is piggy backing every good idea someone else comes with, but the focus is generally on the financial aspect, not to mention it severely waters down The Gospel.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:58 am

Ha! I keep telling my brother when they get Petra on Rock band I will wail all the Volz era songs!! (and I mean that-the kittehs will probably join me)

We knew it was inevitable.

Who the heck would want to copy something like magic: the gathering of NERDS?
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:11 am

If those cats don't have Judas Kiss, I will be surprised. Is that not Petra's iconic 80s song?
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

woncpa
Pethead
Pethead

Guitar Praise

Post by woncpa » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:43 am

From what I have heard the only Petra Song on Guitar Praise is Backsliding Blues. From what I have heard here is the complete list of songs. Lets all let out a big yawn together!

The Songs of Guitar Praise
12 Stones - "Broken"
Bride - "Same Ol' Sinner"
Caedmons Call - "There You Go"
Casting Crowns - "Lifesong"
Chris Tomlin - "Made to Worship"
Darrell Evans - "So Good To Me"
David Crowder Band - "Foreverandever Etc."
Day Of Fire - "Reap and Sow"
dc Talk - "Jesus Freak"
Family Force 5 - "Love Addict"
Flyleaf - "Perfect"
Hawk Nelson - "The Show"
Hawk Nelson- "Friend Like That"
Inhabited - "Rescue Me"
Israel & New Breed - "All Around"
James Clay - "Franklin Park"
Jared Anderson - "Blind Man"
Jennifer Knapp - "Undo Me"
Jeremy Camp - "Tonight"
Jessie Daniels - "What I Hear"
Jonah33 - "Father's Song"
Josh Bates - "Perfect Day"
Kutless - "Beyond the Surface"
Kutless - "Hearts of the Innocent"
Lincoln Brewster - "Spin"
Nate Sallie - "All About You"
Nevertheless - "The Real"
Newsboys - "Something Beautiful"
Paul Baloche - "Rock of Ages"
Paul Baloche - "All The Earth Will Sing Your Praises"
Petra - "Backsliding Blues"
Pillar - "When Tommorrow Comes"
Red - "Breathe Into Me"
Relient K - "I Need You"
Seventh Day Slumber - "Awake"
Skillet - "The Older I Get"
Skillet - "Rebirthing"
Skillet - "Savior"
Spoken - "Wind In My Sails"
Spoken - "Falling Further"
Spur 58 - "Sleepwalkers"
Stellar Kart - "Procrastinating"
Superchick - "We Live"
The Crucified - "The Pit"
This Beautiful Republic - "Going Under"
Thousand Foot Krutch - "The Flame in All of Us"
Thousand Foot Krutch - "The Art of Breaking"
tobyMac - "I'm For You"
Todd Agnew - "This Fragile Breath"
Warren Barfield - "My Heart Goes Out"
Whitecross - "Who Will You Follow"
Whitecross - "When The Walls Tumble Down"
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:02 am

separateunion wrote:I'm against Christians ripping off of secular trends. Not just because they tend to do it for purely financial gain, but also because it ends up being a cheapened version of what is already available and it makes Christians look like they are too stupid to come up with any of their own ideas.

Rock music isn't really a trend. Boy bands were, however. Christianity also tried to cash in on the popularity of Magic: The Gathering with Redemption. Mainstream music had Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson? Christian music counters several years later with Stacie Orrico and Rachel Lampa. Even many Christian t-shirts with "witty" sayings borrow from already popular catch phrases. It's bad enough that Christianity is piggy backing every good idea someone else comes with, but the focus is generally on the financial aspect, not to mention it severely waters down The Gospel.
Ok. This is a test. Sue says I am brash. So I will keep it low key. It will be hard.

I too know for a fact that Christian music follows secular trends. It must be this way. When talking about Petra, you were talking about coming to Petra from a secular listening point of view. I had Christian music first, then secular second. I worked in radio. I see things 180 degrees different.

1. When CCM started, there were nothing but former non-believers making music. There was no "Christian" music theory. There is no Biblically mandated style, tone, timing, etc. So, just like Petra, when people surrendered to Christ, they kept doing what they were doing musically, but changed the lyrics.
2. Today, everyone is looking for the successful trend. Rock has been and always will be trendy. Human tire of the same old thing. They want something new and fresh always. Music has ALWAYS had this element to it. But, Christian music plays it safe and is generally speaking about 10 years behind the curve. There are too many reasons to list here. Talk to a seasoned radio vet and they will tell you.
3. Look at the top 100 over the past 10 years. When one label breaks new ground there will be evidence of copy bands. Take Nickleback. There are hundreds of mee too bands like them that popped up with that sound, those vocals, etc. It has always been this way.

There were only a few pioneering bands in CCM's history of rock. Petra was one of them. I do not think it fair to say that Petra was competing in the world's music. They were leading the Christian rock music market. They were ahead of their time in some of their music. They were the ones that allowed Christian rock to be a household elevator genre that it is today.
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:57 am

You know J.S. Bach would disagree with your first point Brent. Ambrose might have a bone to pick also...

Oh and as a Canadian citizen, I would like to apologize to the world for Nickleback.

Is it bad that I am familiar with like two of those songs?
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:15 pm

charl wrote:You know J.S. Bach would disagree with your first point Brent. Ambrose might have a bone to pick also...

Oh and as a Canadian citizen, I would like to apologize to the world for Nickleback.

Is it bad that I am familiar with like two of those songs?
I will give you that rebuttal to my rebuttal. Some of what we call classical music was pretty hard core off the wall rock and roll for the day. But, I was talking about Christian music in the USA that was around before CCM. Elvis was attributed to breaking it into the mainstream by singing lead on an Imperial's record, etc. Then the Jesus music came.

As far as NB goes, if you know two songs, you actually know way more than you think. I was visiting a pro audio site, I think it was www.gearslutz.com, and someone had taken the time to line all of the songs up, and even their first three records. They have a pattern that they follow. On a couple of tunes the practically change the lyrics. The tune itself is darn near exact. So, you know like 20 or so.

Canada has good fishin, good eatin, and good bands (Triumph, Rush, Bryan Adams, etc). Too dang cold for me sometimes though.
0 x

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:05 pm

Is Antiphonal singing considered classical?

Yes. They have one song. And Chad Kroeger sings like he badly needs a good dose of exlax in every version of it.

Canada also has me. This is why we have climactic extremes.

Anyway, back to the christian knock-offs.
0 x

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:26 pm

brent wrote:As far as NB goes, if you know two songs, you actually know way more than you think. I was visiting a pro audio site, I think it was www.gearslutz.com, and someone had taken the time to line all of the songs up, and even their first three records. They have a pattern that they follow. On a couple of tunes the practically change the lyrics. The tune itself is darn near exact. So, you know like 20 or so.
True...listen here. If you can take it.
brent wrote:Canada has good fishin, good eatin, and good bands (Triumph, Rush, Bryan Adams, etc). Too dang cold for me sometimes though.
Let's not forget Trooper.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:48 am

Or Alannis Morissette and Our Lady Peace.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:16 am

Benny Hinn is also from Canada. Thank God for free trade!! We can load off our heretics and terrible music for...whatever we get from you.

Uh you guys kind of got the crap end of that eh. Ah well.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:33 am

Ok. This is a test. Sue says I am brash. So I will keep it low key. It will be hard.
You did well, Brent.
0 x