I really miss Petra

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

well...

Post by gman » Wed May 06, 2009 7:02 pm

I think if the music is excellent, people will listen regardless of the message. I knew someone in high school who latched onto This Means War because it was really good. Like them or not, lots of non christian kids were listening to Stryper back then.
I don't buy that you can make music that's devoid of your faith, unless your faith is not up to par. I'm not arguing that you have to be preachy with the lyrics. I'm just saying that if your faith is strong, I'll have a clue from your lyrics that you are a Christian. The secular person might not see it. The difference between someone who sees it and someone who does not is God opening their eyes.
I'm avoiding drawing a specific line like, you must mention Jesus X number of times, or present the gospel. You can entertain with your music, share the gospel, sing about your wife and kids, or whatever.
Just don't tell me how strong your faith is, even though I can't see it.
Be honest about where you are and I can respect that.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: well...

Post by separateunion » Thu May 07, 2009 12:52 am

gman wrote:Like them or not, lots of non christian kids were listening to Stryper back then.
To be fair, Stryper was also in heavy rotation on MTV. Without that exposure, I doubt that many non-Christians would have been listening to them.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Thu May 07, 2009 2:09 am

Ange wrote:It's amazing to me the excuses people will use as to why they do not share their faith.
Who is making excuses? Who said they aren't sharing their faith? The discussion here is that no job is a Christian job and that everyone is called to different aspects of evangelizing.
Should you make sure you witness at the right time and in the right way? Of course!
This is the point brent and I are trying to make. Every job requires different tactics for sharing your faith. You can't just bulldoze everyone, you have to be tactful and wait for the right times. If you feel the call to play music, there is no verse or precedent that says you must perform under a Christian label or even write "Christian" music. Should your faith shine through? Yes, but it doesn't mean that you must preach or even evangelize with your lyrics.
As a nurse, it would be foolish for me to try and force a patient to talk about their feelings about God if they were uncomfortable doing so.
Right, so why should all Christians who play music have to preach with their lyrics? What if their audience is uncomfortable with it?
Last edited by separateunion on Thu May 07, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu May 07, 2009 5:50 am

gman wrote:I think if the music is excellent, people will listen regardless of the message.
Not true with me. I don't care how rockin the music is. If there is perverse language, I am out. If some rockin band was talkin about worshiping Buddha, Alah, Satan, kissing or having sex with a man, etc....I AM OUT.

On the other hand, there are some great technically deep bands that I like to listen to (prog rockers like Dream Theater), whose lyrics are un-noticed by me. It is sometimes a matter of not being able to make out what they are singing. Sometimes the music is so good that I tune them out. If I were to hear something objectionable like Petrafan1's postings, it would be turned off.
Last edited by brent on Thu May 07, 2009 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu May 07, 2009 6:31 am

pfan....I gave an opinion about my music listening. There is nothing debatable about that. It is not a right or wrong thing. Someone else may have a great rockin band that talks about killing bitter messageboard trolls. If they ant to listen to it, that's their right. I would fight.....for their right..... to parrrrrrrrrty.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Thu May 07, 2009 7:04 am

brent wrote:
gman wrote:I think if the music is excellent, people will listen regardless of the message.
Not true with me. I don't care how rockin the music is. If there is perverse language, I am out. If some rockin band was talkin about worshiping Buddha, Alah, Satan, kissing or having chess with a man, etc....I AM OUT.
My bad. I really meant that in reference to Christian music

Gman
0 x

JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

May off course here

Post by JMBJR72 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:49 pm

I remember when Unseen Power came out. I had a person from church saying Petra is diluting there message and asked them to show but could provide any examples. Christian market is not into rock they into praise & worship it is to bad that is anyone doing rock.I consider Stryper more of a metal group . Bands seam not stay together long enough to even know them.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: May off course here

Post by brent » Thu May 07, 2009 8:49 pm

JMBJR72 wrote:I remember when Unseen Power came out. I had a person from church saying Petra is diluting there message and asked them to show but could provide any examples. Christian market is not into rock they into praise & worship it is to bad that is anyone doing rock.I consider Stryper more of a metal group . Bands seam not stay together long enough to even know them.
Of course not. If they don't sell a million of their first album they are screwed and dropped.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu May 07, 2009 9:04 pm

petrafan1 wrote:i agree, if brent said it, it must be true.
What an immature time waster.

Why don't you spend some time in the trade rags learning for yourself. Heck, just read interviews with the artists who are huge and opting for indie avenues. They are all on record saying the same thing. If a band does not sell out of the shoot, they are gone.

Look into what a "360 deal" is. Spend some time here and educate yourself so that you are not looking like a basher, but have some educated observations to post:

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/videos ... a+360+deal

There are great educational videos there. I encourage everyone to learn about the business from people who are the business:

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Thu May 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Dude's obsessed with you, brent. And I don't see why not.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri May 08, 2009 1:35 pm

I've been refraining from replying until now, but guys, some of this could be avoided by simply not responding to it. This person obviously has issues that have nothing to do with the Zone and doesn't want any assistance, so quit handing them ammunition and maybe they'll get tired of this nonsense. It does take more than one person to continue something like this.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by gman » Fri May 08, 2009 3:49 pm

petrafan1 wrote:who says it does or doesn't have to do with the so called petra zone, huh!
Who says you can't go home?
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sat May 09, 2009 12:43 am

Dude's obsessed with you, brent. And I don't see why not.
Are you jealous, Jonathan?

Thanks for those links, Brent. I'm gonna dig around some more.
0 x

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Sat May 09, 2009 6:43 am

Of Brent? Please, why would anyone be jealous of him? He's just a good lookin' rebel who does what he wants.

yes.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Sat May 09, 2009 11:19 am

petrafan1 wrote:because if brent says it, it must be rite.
Rite defined: A ceremonial act or series of acts

So, if Brent says it, it must be a ceremonial act or series of acts? Sweet.

I cannot weight four Brents response two this one.
0 x