Third-Day Comment At Grammy's

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Third-Day Comment At Grammy's

Post by PetfanInCt » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:38 am

Hi All

There was some talk a few months ago around the time of this years grammy awards about a comment that was made by members of Third reguarding the the grammy won By Petra for Double Take.

The comment althou I dont know or remember verbatim was something like this..Petra didnt desverve to win and they should've reitired long ago. Is this true. Because if it is like i said at that time and I say now that was a pretty crappy comment from a band who were sore losers at the time..Can someone verify that comment.
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

I don't

Post by executioner » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:29 pm

A few months after Petra won the grammy for DT someone came on here and showed an article from a mag. (I believe it to be CCM) on the link one member of Third Day was quoted as saying that Petra just needs to give it up they are no longer relavent to todays CCM market. I am not sure what member of the group said it, but I know it was true. You might want to look for CCM archives and see if there is anything there.
From day one I have not been a fan of Third Day, but it's because I really don't like their style of music not because of what they said about Petra.
There are 2 members of our youth group at church that have worked at Six Flags(DFW) and this spring got to go back stage as employees with Third Day and basically had to cater to their every need. They said they came across as jerks, and they didn't see any difference in them than all the secular artists that come thru there. On a positive note Skillet and Newsboys played the same weekend, and the youth said you could see the difference in them.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Kirkman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kirkman » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:45 pm

I can't find an interview with Third Day where someone says those things. Here's the closest one I found:
JJT: How did it feel to see Petra get the Grammy for Rock Gospel Album? Everyone I know - if they had a chance to sit down with you they’d want to know this. Do you feel you should have gotten that?

Mac: I’m going to be pretty frank with you… I can’t be… It goes to show you with the Grammys, how much they know about Christian music. It’s all name recognition and has nothing to do with the record.

Tai: It was the same thing as in the Album Of The Year category with Steely Dan. It was like the same thing in our category."
The only interview in CCM Magazine where Third Day mentions Petra is this one. Here's what it says:
"We never had any idea that it would go where it has," the group’s frontman, Mac Powell, recalls of the start of Third Day’s 10-year career. "Yet at the same time, in the back of our minds, we knew we had something special. We wanted to be the next Petra—you know, we wanted to be the next big band that really affected a lot of people through music."

"We wanted to be the next Petra then," guitarist Mark Lee, the Atlanta-entrenched band’s only Nashville resident, flatly clarifies.
0 x
[url=http://petrarocksmyworld.com][img]http://www.petrarocksmyworld.com/ads/rocks_ban2.gif[/img][/url]
[b]Petra Rocks My World[/b] -- [i]a site for fans across the globe[/i]! With song lyrics, interviews, newsletter, messageboard, chat room, and more!

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Third Day

Post by pmal » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:09 pm

I think the comment about Petra needing to quit was not made by Third Day at all and that someone either made that up or inferred that from the article above where they wanted to be "frank about" not winning the grammy. I have not seen any interview at any time that says otherwise. They were right about that grammy part though and it was not wrong for them to be angry. Double Take was not half the album that Offerings was, musically or successfully imho, and I think that they handled that with as much class as possible, given the superiority of that album over Double Take. Third Day is very much a Christian band. I can't stand it when I hear that they are not Christians as I know when they used to tour locally and did the many youth events, before they made it big, for different Baptist and Presbyterian youth retreats in the Carolinas and Georgia. I know that they are Christians. I went to their concert in Greenville, SC this year and it was really good. They make very good music imo, their music the way they want it to sound, and sound great live. Petra is still my favorite band but Third Day is my second favorite.

Phillip
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

He.

Post by Shell » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:47 pm

The grammys are a joke, just like the Dove Awards. And they're not required to like Petra or Double Take, although I agree a negative comment like that would be tacky.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

macs comments

Post by executioner » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:02 am

Pmal,

I think if you read the previous post from Kirkman you will clearly see that Mac was not at all ashamed at stating that they should have that Grammy. Double Take is not one of my favorite Petra albums, but it's the best produced Petra album out there and Offerings production wise was weak and maybe even a little stale.That is one major thing they looked at when selecting the winners. I was not in anyway saying that Third Day members are not Christians, all I was stating was that the 2 youth members that work at Six Flags and actually got to be back stage said that they could not tell be their actions that they were Christians. I know in my everyday life there are times when maybe someone sees me that I do not personally know and they might not see a Christlike attitude or something of that nature in me. That is why we need to always be watching because you don't know who is watching you.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

RE:

Post by pmal » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:14 pm

Executioner,

I realize what you mean. I just hear that a lot, that Third Day arent Christians and it gets to me, knowing their background. I realize what you were trying to say and I don't have a problem with you at all if you think I did.

Anywho, I have no problem at all with what Mac said there in that interview though. Offerings was a far superior album in my opinion and that success was confirmed with not only airplay but with Offerings being a Platinum selling album. I know Petra has been in that same boat before where they deserved a grammy and didnt get it for probably the same reason, earlier in the band's career so I think that the guys understood what Third Day was going through. I hated Double Take when it came out. I thought it was "Petra blasphemy" and it was nothing like what the band has ever done or been, and quite honestly is probably one of the reasons Petra gets no airplay anymore. I mean, this is what followed a mediocre album in God Fixation that we had to wait on for over a couple of years to get and then it was what it was. Double Take was such a bad album that I have never heard it or any of it's songs ever performed before in any concert nor does any song from that album ever get airplay. Meanwhile, "King of Glory" still gets played at least once a week here locally as well as a couple of the other songs off of Offerings. Like I said before, I love Petra and they are my favorite band but I think to say that Double Take was a better album is just not facing reality and that Third Day's guys handled that with as much tact as possible.

Regards,
Phillip
0 x

lucianotaz
Pethead
Pethead

Third Day

Post by lucianotaz » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

I can�t say about their purposes, behavior and faith, cause I can not see their hearts and I never have met them.

I was in their concert with Michael Smith last year, and have watched their DVD. In my opinion, they are a common band. Their singer really has a good voice ! Their music is well done, but there are not special in it !
0 x

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: RE:

Post by Michael » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:05 pm

pmal wrote:I just hear that a lot, that Third Day arent Christians and it gets to me, knowing their background.
Seems to me, if you hear it a lot it might mean there's some truth to it. Have you ever heard anyone say that the members of Petra treated them with the brush-off or didn't have a Christlike attitude? I mean, people who don't like rock music say all kinds of stuff, but obviously the kids executioner mentioned aren't like that.
pmal wrote:Offerings was a far superior album in my opinion and that success was confirmed with not only airplay but with Offerings being a Platinum selling album.
Don't let's get into the sales=quality debate again. That's not true at all. If it was, "Achy Breaky Heart" would have tanked in the marketplace. :) And if you discount DT for airplay, you're going to have to discount all the albums after it too, including JAH... Christian Radio barely plays any Petra these days, great or mediocre.
pmal wrote:Double Take was such a bad album that I have never heard it or any of it's songs ever performed before in any concert
Ahh, so you haven't watched the infamous "HOB" concert. There are also a couple of reviews on my Web site of concerts where Double Take versions were played:

http://www.guidetopetra.com/concerts.html?ID=13
http://www.guidetopetra.com/concerts.html?ID=69

Third Day's music overall is so depressing and recycled that it's not even funny. They can't even do a decent remake... their version of Jacob's Trouble's terrific modern-day hymn "These Thousand Hills" is totally eclipsed by the original. I can't imagine how you can even compare the two, to be honest. It's like saying Britney Spears is more influential than the Beatles.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Hehehehe.

Post by Shell » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:51 pm

Britney Spears more influential than the Beatles. Now there's a concept. :D

Guys, you can only get a limited take at best of what you hear second hand. The only way to truly know where someone is coming from is to spend some time talking to them. Everyone's opinion is different, and things you "hear about" have usually changed or are blown out of proportion by the time you hear about it. So even if there is truth in some of the stuff that floats around out there, it's probably been distorted by opinion by the time it gets around to you.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm

Kirkman wrote:Mac: It�s all name recognition and has nothing to do with the record.
While not as strong as the original poster indicated, it's still an unfortunate comment. I think Double Take is one of Petra's most underrated albums and more than deserved its Grammy.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

name recognition...

Post by superfly » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:12 am

Petra won because of name recognition? Oh, that makes sense since they've won the grammy every year. Oopps, they haven't won it every year that they've had an album out...so much for that argument! :)
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

RE

Post by pmal » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:15 am

You guys honestly rate Double Take as a better album than Offerings? Just answer that ...
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

I

Post by executioner » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:21 am

I rate it better production wise. It is a very quality based album. I do not really care on how they redid the classics, but when I listen to it the first thing that jumps out at me is the quality.
0 x

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:29 pm

I thought Double Take was a crummy album and I was embarrassed that it won a Grammy.
0 x
www.myspace.com/fisticmystic